close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best home defense shotgun ?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Gasoil4ever, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Gasoil4ever

Gasoil4ever Glock Frog

Nov 14, 2006
    Hi all !

It's been a long time since i last posted on Glocktalk (over 2 years) :whistling:

I have recently moved abroad and i am looking for a 12 gauge for home defense.

If i could i would stick with a Glock 19... but it's nearly impossible to get here :crying: Anyways i have to comply to the rules of my hosting country.

The easiest way is to comply for a hunting permit, the country side being amazing i will most probably use it for hunting. That leaves me with the following parameter :

- 12 Gauge
    - 2 shots maximum
    - no pistol grip

I am considering a SxS Double Defense Stoeger or a 0/U Mossberg Maverick HS12. I like the idea of a short barrel with picatinny rail to have a lamp on it.

I am thinking a SxS should be easier/faster to reload.

Looking forward to read your replies

2. Gasoil4ever

Gasoil4ever Glock Frog

Nov 14, 2006
    Any names / brands / models to suggest ?

3. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I would check around in the area you live -

I will guess there will be a couple guns that are popular with the locals -

I would pick one of them.

Like in the USA - I bet most HD 12 gauges are either a Remington 870 or Mossberg. Sure some use Winchester - Benelli - a few Saiga - but 7/10 would be a Remington or Mossberg.

Seems like it would be cheaper to buy - and easier to sell if/when you move.

4. Peppy

Peppy

Aug 28, 2011
    :rofl:

5. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Saiga 12. Then:

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

Coach gun, because of the laws. Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. The SxS will be easier to reload than the O/U, so I'd go with it.

7. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    If its for home defense why would you want to be limited to only 2 shots?

8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Legal restrictions in current country of residence.

9. bug

bug

Feb 6, 2007
    My best friend has a basic Stoeger SxS in 12ga(blue/wood stock) It has been 100% reliable with over 1000 rounds through it.
    Nice gun
    They have them with syn stocks in nickle that might hold up better in
    Cameroon.
    Cant say it is the best but it works.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_guns.php

10. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Oh ok now I understand.

11. Booker

Booker

May 10, 2006
    Prison
    Baikal makes a nice little coach gun with external hammers and inter-changeable chokes.

Remington imported them for a while into the USA. Should fit your requirements nicely!

They have dual triggers, so you could have different loads in the barrels and you could select which to fire first depending on the situation.

The Stoeger DD is a single trigger affair which I don't care for but others like.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  12. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    Not sure if this is common - but I knew a couple people that had double barrel shotguns with the dual triggers

They use to beat the crap out of their fingers when they shot them.

Its been a while - I don't recall the details - but something to at least look at before you buy.

13. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Agreed.

Peppy: Re-read the OP's post. It says that he's limited to TWO shots.
    Instead of rolling on the floor, laughing, why not give some input.
    What would you suggest for a HD/SD shotgun that fills the OP's needs??????

Gasoil4ever:
    Since you are limited to two shots 'maximum' in the scattergun, I agree with those that have said "Coach Gun".
    Personally, I don't think too highly of the version with the rail, etc.
    (But, whatever floats your boat.)

I'd get a Coach Gun with choke tubes (I think they are called Coach Gun Supreme"). Cyl and I/C chokes would be 1st choice, or I/C and Modified.

I also suggest SLIGHTLY relieving the back of the chamber with a hone or Fine or Extra-Fine emory cloth, so that your shells will enter/eject a little easier. It doesn't take much. Just about the first 1/2" to 3/4" inside the chamber.

Stay safe.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  14. Gasoil4ever

Gasoil4ever Glock Frog

Nov 14, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback guys !

My first choice would be a SxS.

Thanks for the advice byf43 i'll will definetely relief the back chamber :thumbsup:

But i have been working hard on this subject and met a guy who's a close relative to a top guy in the local administration in charge of those subjects... and guess what...

I might get a hunting license open for a multiple shot 12 gauge :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Then no doubt : Mossberg 500

But then i hesitate : 500 Cruiser (Blackwater series) or a Thunder Ranch ?

On a 500 Cruiser i would most probably fit a folding stock (ATI)...

My concern is about the recoil... is it managable with a pistol grip (I am a 6"15 and nearly 200 pounds) ? Can you shoot the next shots quickly enough ?

What it does compare to ? Ammo wise i am planning on using 00 Eight Pellets reduced recoils cartridges and non lethal hard rubber cartridges (used by the french SWAT) ?

As you can see eventhough i know my way with Glocks i am a complete noob with shotguns... :whistling:

Thanks !

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  15. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    That Mossberg is a piece o' cake. Fear not. Quite controllable with any load. Get the 20" with full length magazine. 8 shots! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  16. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010

Mix serious the coach gun is like one of the sillest dilyiest absiolutely most illiest answer.

The Mossberg 930 SPX is cleanly the best answer, M930SPX is the best HD/Combat/Tru Warier / go boom boom bam bam shotgun on the planet.

But coach gun? I'd rathert not even use a shotgun, heck, i'd buy s revolver oover a coach gun, 5 rounds is mor ethn double 2 rounds!!!

the best part i, people love the coach guns cause of Omar Little, ..the Wire... OImar comin yo!!!!!

if u listen to the show, tyhey insert "click Clacks" after Omar shoots. And he mystreriouslty has round after round after rond in shootouts; hmm.

17. 2 shots, Stevens 311r

[​IMG]

5 shots, Mossberg 500:

[​IMG]

18. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    mossberg mavrick 88 with a 18.5" bbl.

cost $189.00

19. captcurly

captcurly

Sep 14, 2008
    Southern Delaware
    The best home defense shotgun is the gun that you can handle with safety. A gun that you can be accurate with. Most of important the gun that you are the most confident with. Of course the caliber should be 12ga.