close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Gun Shop in the Triangle Area?

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by bogey3737, Nov 8, 2006.

1. bogey3737

bogey3737
    Expand Collapse
    diablo azul

I'm thinking about picking up an M1A and am looking for a good store in the Raleigh/Durham/CH/Apex area. Any suggestions?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. chuckman

chuckman
    Expand Collapse

Raleigh gunshops: Davi's, and Personal Defense Handgun Safety Center (I think that's the full name). The first is is north Raleigh, the second is in south Raleigh. For highly competitive prices, often the best in the area, try Mace Sports down I-85 in Mebane.
    Hope this helps.

3. Sly_C

Sly_C
    Expand Collapse
    Ich liebe Glock

I'll second that motion on Davi's, but coming from a man who lives in Mebane, avoid Mace Sports at all costs. Crappy service and ******* employees. The best prices in the area? Ha!

4. RoyG

RoyG
    Expand Collapse
    NSDQ

Jim's Gun Shop
    609 Woodland Rd
    Raleigh, NC 27603
    (919) 772-0995

It's actually in Garner, south of Raleigh off of 401. Call first to make sure he's there. One of the last kitchen table FFLs you'll find. Well he has a shop behind his house in his garage.

He will probably at the Dixie Gun show this weekend. Look for him at a small table along the back wall.

Jim's

5. chuckman

chuckman
    Expand Collapse

Did not know about Jim's, thanks for the heads-up. Regarding Mace's, yeah, I have some issues with a couple of the people there, but some of the employees have been great. As far as getting my handguns, I have gotten a Spingfield and Glock there, essentially 'named my price,' and have received great service. Perceptions. Go figure.

6. Sapperstang

Sapperstang
    Expand Collapse
    Paratrooper

Stay away from Davi's unless you want to pay more.

7. Old School

Old School
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if Vass counts, but Ed's Gun Shop in Vass is the best dealer in Eastern NC. I've gotten great deals at Perry's in Wendell as well.

8. Strider47

Strider47
    Expand Collapse
    Captain Chaos

Ed's or The Gun Rack in Kernersville are your best bets. If you hit Davi's ask for Richard. Remember, MSRP is just that. Most places will bend on price.

9. bogey3737

bogey3737
    Expand Collapse
    diablo azul

Thanks, guys...paid a visit to Davi's last weekend. Decent selection, but it seemed that they were pretty pricey. I also dropped by Young Guns in in Apex and thought their prices were pretty decent. I'll be paying a visit to Dixie this weekend to see if I can find a good deal on a rifle.

10. Sapperstang

Sapperstang
    Expand Collapse
    Paratrooper

Didn't read my post above huh? :supergrin:

11. bogey3737

bogey3737
    Expand Collapse
    diablo azul

Had already gone before I got the sound advice :thumbsup:

12. WolfiePacker

WolfiePacker
    Expand Collapse
    Sarcasmologist

Personal Defense and Handgun Safety Center. Minimal mark-ups and great service. Theyll take care of you.

13. bogey3737

bogey3737
    Expand Collapse
    diablo azul

Thanks...that's where I do my range work. Managed to pick up the rifle at the Dixie Show.

14. kevdog91

kevdog91
    Expand Collapse

I went to the Gun Rack in Kernersville today based on a previous post. I had a significant amount of money to spend, but no one there wanted it. I was in the store for around 20 minutes, and not once did the owner/employee acknowledge my prescence. I'm not trying to bash them, but if I'm gonna spend several hundred dollars at a store I would like it if you would at least act like you care about customer service. After looking at the selection of glocks, I mentioned to a man (behind the counter) that seemed to have a stool surgically attached to his *****, that this was my first time in the Gun Rack, and that I heard about him through Glock Talk. I asked him a couple of questions about the models that he had, only to get short answers that made me realize that he could care less if I was there or not. I don't mean to rant, but what has happened to customer service.

15. FDC

FDC
    Expand Collapse

<---not in NC anymore, but I've been stationed at Bragg 3 different times.
    Not technically the Triangle, but Ed's Guns on Route 1 in Vass isn't bad-bought an SP101 there. Bought my XD45 from Jims Gun Jobbery in Fayetteville---good deal there.

Don't know about rifles in the area-the only rifle I've "bought" has been from the CMP. I would take the 45 minute drive down to Ed's to check things out though---you never know what you might find.

16. Pinki

Pinki
    Expand Collapse
    Kiss My Glock
    CLM

You might want to try Rudder's Gun Service in Butner if you are going to the Oxford range. 207 Central Ave, Butner, 27509. 919.575.8811. It is a small shop, though.

17. Canon9

Canon9
    Expand Collapse

Response to KevDog about experience at Gun Rack.

I am new into guns/shooting/collecting and pretty much purchase what I want. However people, service, friendliness, recognition, fair but not necessarily the lowest price keeps me coming back to the same place. I am a very loyal customer. I purchased my Kimber Stainless Gold Match from Arringtons and they have met all the requirements listed above. I have no reason to go anywhere else at this time and I will continue buying from them unless something goofy happens. Last week, my visit to the Gun Rack in Kernersville was out of curiosity. My first visit there was much better than the second. My second visit was to purchase another Kimber and they had in stock what I wanted. Bill (owner) was in the back and came out front and didn't acknowledge that we had talked a couple days earlier. I spoke to him and started to ask him about the Kimber and he looked over at a guy sitting on the stool and said, "Watch the front, I am going to do some paperwork" and turned and walked away. How could someone that you talked to for ten minutes a couple of days earlier not even recognize or acknowledge that you came back?

Perhaps they have more business than they need or just don't know better. I understand the markup on guns is not great but all the related stuff pay the bills. My $1250 gun purchase from Arringtons has resulted in $300 - 500 additional related item sales which I am sure is profitable. I don't try to negotiate price with them. Service is more important. This and future business could have been the Gun Racks if they had treated me like my business was important. Regardless I want go back.

Prejudging a person's ability or interest to buy anything is one of the worst mistakes and habits that anyone in the retail business can get into.

18. Gbuilder

Gbuilder
    Expand Collapse

+1 for jim's guns. He is the cheapest FFL transfer in the area and will order just about anything for you if you ask him nicely. I needed 2 replacement mags for my hi-point carbine and all the major gun dealers refuse to cary anything hi-point so I couldnt find them local. Jim ordered them for me and his price was actually less than anything I could find on the internet! I have also done a transfer on an AK receiver through him, and I have a good friend who has had several positive experiences with him who actually refered him to me.

Also perry's in wendell is pretty good as well as a general gun shop, they have a really great after christmas sale. I picked up the hi-point carbine there used for 65 dollars!

The PDHSC is a good place too though, especially for self defense and tactical firearms as they seem to cater that type of shooting more so then other local dealers, PDHSC seems to have the best ar15 related products and prices in the area.

19. Strider47

Strider47
    Expand Collapse
    Captain Chaos

Yikes, sorry to hear so many have had issues at The Gun Rack! I've bought a Champion safe and about $4000.00 worth of guns from Bill. Maybe I just look purty, but I've never had a problem.

Of course, I've long ago given up on decent (read: overly enthusiastic to take your money) customer service from any commercial entity long ago.

20. Canon9

Canon9
    Expand Collapse

I love to shop at locally owned independent stores because this is where historically you get better service. I don't think it is uncommon for a person that has been in business for many years to get tired and lose their enthusiasm for their work. I am sure it gets harder and harder to make a living. Perhaps Bill was having a bad day or I was expecting too much. I can be high strung myself at times and patience has never been a strength. I am certainly not "purty" but I didn't see anyone in the store that was. I will blame the experience on bad luck and try again.

Thanks....

Yikes, sorry to hear so many have had issues at The Gun Rack! I've bought a Champion safe and about $4000.00 worth of guns from Bill. Maybe I just look purty, but I've never had a problem.

Of course, I've long ago given up on decent (read: overly enthusiastic to take your money) customer service from any commercial entity long ago.