close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Ghost Ring sights for a Mossie 500

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Deaf Smith, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Guys,

My 20 inch 590 came with ghost ring sights by Mossburg.

But my 500 Mariner has none. It has an 18.5 inch barrel.

So if I was to add sights, any recomendation as to a real good set that does not need gun smithing (if possible.)

I know MMC used to make a banded front sight, but it looks like MMC drop them.

Thanks,

Deaf

2. TexasNativeDRJH

TexasNativeDRJH 5th Generation

Apr 21, 2008
    San Jacinto Battleground
    LPA / PSI makes a new banded front sight, but I can't find any place that sells them. As far as I know you have to get them direct from them so I don't know how much they cost. I want a set badly for my 20" M500

3. Texas,

What I would REALLY love to get is a 14 inch barreled 'entry' Mossie with ghost ring sights, but the $$ and paperwork, uh!

Thanks, I'll look inot the LPA sights.

Deaf

4. I use the LPA sights but had to order them directly like mentioned above.

5. TexasNativeDRJH

TexasNativeDRJH 5th Generation

Apr 21, 2008
    San Jacinto Battleground
    I used to have the MMC banded front sight on my old Mossberg, it always moved after a few rounds and I didn't like how the elevation was set. Too much room for recoil induced movement. I hope the new LPA's work better

6. AK74play

AK74play

Jun 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Just order a set of Factory ghost rings, they are adjustable for windage and elevation and very user installable. The front sight will epoxy right over your front bead and it will stay on there, the rear will attach to your already tapped receiver . The really good part is the set is only ablut 60 to 65 dollars directly from Mossberg.

7. AK,

Thanks. How does that empoxy keep that front sight on? Must be REALLY strong. Do they use in on the factory guns that come with the ghost ring sights?

Thanks,

Deaf

8. AK74play

AK74play

Jun 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Yes it is really strong, I have 2 installed like that and never an issue. The stock guns you ask about are silver soldered on because there is not already a bead to work around......

9. thanks,

I'll give it a try. The other sights cost almost as much as the gun!

Might even see if the local smith can silver solder it in place (just in case.)

Deaf

10. Saleen

Saleen

Sep 16, 2005
    I just had my Mossberg 500 installed with ghost ring sights. I bought the sights that are made by mossberg. Had a local gunsmith install them (soldered the front) and re-blue the barrel all for $100. Havent had a chance to shoot it yet, just picked it up today.

Question, do i have to adjust/setup the sights or is that not needed on a HD shotgun?

11. AK74play

AK74play

Jun 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Probably not because of the close distances, but I would anyway, better safe than sorry.........

12. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    My 590-A1 didn't come with Ghost Ring/ramp setup, but I added the factory ones. Used the existing bead as a locating lug when I silver-soldered the ramp on.
    And YES, It's a PITA to put the heat shield on over the ramp, but it CAN be done.
    Zeroed mine w/slugs for bowling pins @ 75 yds.
    Yes, it will when you find the slug load it likes, mine is the 1 1/4 oz Federal 3".

uncle albert

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  13. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator Moderator Millennium Member

Hey Uncle, have you tried the TruBall load yet?

14. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    No Tazz, haven't had a chance yet. That's still on the "to do" list.

uncle albert