close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Grovenator, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Grovenator

Grovenator

Nov 27, 2005
    Washington
    The thread title is a little misleading because I've had one "real" 1911 in my life. It was in about 1995, it was a Para Ordnance P-14 .45 all steel. I really hated that gun. Sorry but I did. I got really lucky and sold it for exactly what I had into it to my boss at the time. It was clunky. It started clunky and I thought it would "smooth out" over time. It never did. Some two thousand rounds later it was as gritty, clunky and clanky as the day I brought it home. I hated it!

Ok, on with the theme of the thread. I know the 1911 platform is a good one or else it would not have lasted or rather proliferated for 100 years. It's 2011 and I've decided to give it another go. Please suggest for me a "good" 1911. I'll tell you what I'm looking for in any handgun I might buy and specifically what I'd expect from any 1911 I'd buy.

Smooth, slim, accurate, easy pointing and easy on the hand when shot a lot. I realize that most 1911 guns already provide most of these so I won't wast your time about what I expect other than to say I think most 1911 guns are overpriced.

I know I can get anything from a Wilson Combat gun all the way down to a Llama. I can't afford a Wilson and you couldn't give me a Llama. Soooo, what do you think?

I want a flat mainspring housing, beavertail grip safety, skeletonized hammer and trigger, smooth combat sights, standard recoil spring set-up and standard type barrel bushing. I don't want to spend over say $700-800. Stainless is ok but I really like a nice utilitarian parkerizing too.

The closest thing I've found so far is the Springfield Milspec "loaded"(?). It's about what I want but I really can't stand the forward serrations on the slide. Yuk! I just can't do it! Ideas? :embarassed:

2. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    You should look at the Springfield RO for that price point. BAC has a very good article in the 1911 Resource sticky that goes over about 50 different 1911's and has them categorized by market (production, semi-custom, custom) As for the FCS, they seem to be common on most of the production guns, although I am sure someone here can come up with a sub 1k prod gun with no fcs. You could also look for a used STI Trojan that would come in close to your price. There was one on the GT Firearms Listing a week or two ago. Good luck!

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    If it was a Para P-14, then it wasn't a 1911.

How about a Kimber Custom II? :)

[​IMG]

4. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    "Best" is the word I'm trying to stay away from.
    However a very solid choice would be Springfield Mili-Spec IMO.
    Colonel Cooper would advice You to take a look at this pistol instead of the "loaded" one and I think that he was right on this.
    Forged frame, slide and barrel.
    Improved sights and decent trigger.
    Great 1911.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010

The Kimber Custom II was the first one I owned and was very happy with it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  6. Freedom101

Freedom101

Sep 25, 2010
    I had an 80 series Government Model in the late 80's and can't say I'd recommend one. Some have had good experiences with the 80 series, but maybe I had a lemon. I shot my dad's 70 series Combat Commander and loved it. So, I bought the 80 series Goverment Model and it wasn't the same. Although not a 1911, I had a Star PD in the early 80's and it was a great shooting pistol. It was compact with an alloy frame but shot well. My dad had a gun shop for a few years in the early 80's and thanks to my paper route and a pro-gun father I was able to own and shoot many guns.....although I usually owned only one at a time due to limited funds. I have recently been contemplating buying an Ed Brown or Les Baer, but not sure I wanna part with the cash. :dunno:

7. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

For the $700-$800 mark, I would look at SA and used Kimbers

To spend a little less, consider the Remington 1911. At less than $600, they are well built guns, all steel and an almost direct clone of original 1911a1 (with better sights).

8. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    used colts easily in the price range too. shoot a plain grip safety model first- they do not bite everyone-I usually find used colts in the 5-700 range in my area.

9. Grovenator

Grovenator

Nov 27, 2005
    Washington
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'm looking at the Mil-Spec.. I like it but with a skeletonized hammer. I suppose I can add that and a beaver-tail safety later.(?)

10. Grovenator

Grovenator

Nov 27, 2005
    Washington
    How was it not a 1911?:dunno:

11. Nickpisp

Nickpisp

Oct 12, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Not a 1911 frame.

12. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Try a Guncrafter No Name or a Wilson Supergrade. You won't need anything else. :cool:

13. yall are gonna disagree but hey, i'm a colt man. 1991a1. colts qc is much better than in the 90's. and no, a para is not a 1911. i don't know what they are. a pos maybe.

maybe the colt xse gov. series.

14. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    SA Mil Spec
    Colt 70
    Both great base guns and with just a little work can be a life long pistol.

15. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Yep. The mil-spec is a great base model for modifications. You can send it to Springfield's Custom Shop and they will do just about anything you want to it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  16. ijacek

ijacek

Jun 21, 2008
    FL
    I agree 100%

[​IMG]

17. How much are Sig 1911s going for? I've heard good things about the S&W ones, but I don't know how much these guns go for in the US/if they're in your budget.

18. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Today's Colt QC is worse than a hungover teacher for a sixth grade shop class.

Colt's custom shop:

[​IMG]