close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Electronic Powder Scale ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cajun_chooter, Apr 29, 2013.

1. I am in the market for a GOOD electronic powder scale..
    i presently have an Ole Will Knots scale.. it does not work that well.. when i weight a powder load.. if it sits on the scale for more than 20 seconds .. it starts increasing the reading.. so i don't trust it.. and if i put the empty powder cup on the scale... at first it reads ZERO.. but then it starts increasing the reading.. in less than a minute it will go from zero to .30 and i have to re-calibrate it again..

my question is what is a GOOD electronic scale..i don't need one that has a powder trickler.. anyone have any feedback about a good dependable accurate electronic scale ?

tia

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    You have to spend some $$, no such thing YET as a good cheap dig scale. I have a Dillon-D, always on, quick to zero, no long warm up, stays zeroed, never drifts. I run mine several times a week for 5yrs now, still checks out w/ cert check wts.

3. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    I purchased a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 scale/dispenser combo about 18 months ago. Didn't trust it much when I first purchased it, but..... I've continually compared it to my very trustworthy Ohaus 5-0-5 beam scale, and with RCBS's check weights on both scales and can honestly say the 1500 is dead on.

It's a bit on the pricey side but can usually be found on sale. It is extremely convenient: enter a charge weight, scale dispenses the powder to an exacting weight, remove pan and fill case. Return pan to scale and the combo unit automatically begins dispensing the next charge while I'm seating the bullet. It can dispense as quickly as I can finish seating the bullet. This is (of course) for my non-223 rifle rounds.

4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    For precision rifle, I let the Chargemaster dispense the load and then I check it on the Dillon D-Terminator before I dump the powder in the case. I'm really trying my darndest to get consistent rounds - and it's working!

Richard

5. I also have the Chargemaster Combo and it is fascinating to watch and very convenient when developing loads - but if you don't need the trickler, the scale part is available separately.

6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    And you can add the dispenser later if you want.

Richard

7. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    Not Lyman. I use mine for rough estimates and then walk the powder over to the Dillon beam scale.

8. if you noticed my post.. i did not mention anything a "good cheap" scale.. i am looking for a GOOD QUALITY SCALE

9. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    The best for me has been the D-terminator--always on & easy to use.

10. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

May 3, 2007
    Kansas
    I have a GemPro 250 that has been very accurate. It weighs to .02 grain.

11. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I DID notice that, but it didn't matter. I would still recommend the Dillon D-Termintor. It's not terribly expensive and, as you may suspect from the above posts, it is highly regarded.

As I posted earlier, the RCBS scale has the advantage that a dispenser can be added later on.

Either way will work.

And always use check weights. With some of these powders having a range from MIN to MAX of 0.5gr, a little error goes a long way. BTW, you can expect both scales to be right on.

Richard

12. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I have the Horandy version of the "Charge Master" the "Auto Charge"
    It works well very consistent and accurate. I compare readings after calibration checks with my Dillon D-Terminator using check weights. They say the proof is in the pudding and I'm loading sub MOA 69 SMK / Varget loads with it out to 600 yards so I guess it's proven to be a good buy. You can find them on Sale at Wideners for less than $200 at times.

13. cigna63

cigna63

Nov 28, 2001
    Central Florida
    I'm not trying to hijack the thread but wondered if anyone has experience and comments on the PACT brand of scales/dispenser.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  14. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    I've had an RCBS 750 for about five years. It has been dead-nuts accurate and consistent. I don't know if it's the best, but it has served my needs without a problem.

I've learned that, just because a powder measure has digits that show fifths (.2) or tenths (.1) of a grain, doesn't mean that the measuring mechanism actually resolves measurements that fine.

There are no cheap, good electronic scales.

15. I bought the RCBS 1500 ChargeMaster... could not be more satisfied...

16. fx77

fx77 CLM

Nov 23, 2008
  17. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

Apr 2, 2000
    High up in the rockies
    I've been well satisfied with a Pact. but I use check weights every time I zero it. also have a 45 year old Lyman beam balance that I trust.

Whatever you get the check weights are needed.

In addition to zeroing, I use the check weights to set my beam balance at the charge that I'm going to drop.

With the Dillon, I like to weight a charge every 100 rounds. The primer tube holds 100, so every time I refill the primer tube, I weigh a charge.

18. cigna63

cigna63

Nov 28, 2001
    Central Florida
  19. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    +1 on the RCBS.