Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Best dog breed for intruder alarm

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by nhglocker, Aug 7, 2004.

1. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

May 26, 2003
    Melbourne, Fl
    I hear ya ;)
    Let me try to get you some answers.
    As far as smell, well that comes from things like brands of food, type of shampoo used, how often, etc. Bottom line, feed good quality food, (I tell people, "if you can buy it in a grocery store, you can do better"). Shampoo's same thing, stay away from Hartz, stick with middle of the road type products from a pet store and nothing too harsh. What I use, I can bathe my dog weekly and it wont hurt him. Some of the stronger shampoos you can't do that and will cause itching and flaking of the skin. I would also stick with a short hair breed or any breed that has to get groomed (clipped). Schnauzers, Cockapoo's, Poodle's, Jack Russell's, etc.

Ok I know I will get flamed for this, (but that's ok) but here goes.
    Look for a stable dog. While looking at puppies drop some keys around them and if goes ok, work up to louder noises from a distance going up to a portable type boat horn at say 40 ft. What you are looking for is a non-reaction. Not necessarily disinterest but not running away cowering with tail embedded in its stomach and not aggressive. Somewhere in the middle.
    Here is the where the flames will come. Dogs do not "turn" on their masters ever. This is my professional opinion backed up by actual experience working with dogs and owners. Aggressive dogs push their Alpha to see who is in charge and to see if they can "win" some dominance. If they do "win" AND the owner tries to get the dog to do something that they don’t want to do, the dog will usually give a warning snap or bite. However in my experience the dog has given many clues before this incident happens.

I am sure this has happened somewhere at sometime, but I seriously would not worry about it.
    These working dogs spend the first 2 years of their lives learning their jobs and most perform flawlessly. If you are thinking about getting a "high speed" type of working dog, then you too will have hundreds of hours of training ahead of you and will learn how to handle your dog in all kinds of scenerios.
    This is referred to as the "out" command. In professional type "high speed" dogs, working this is a double edged sword. If the out isn't worked enough or properly the dog will not want to out properly. If it is overworked, the dogs willingness to bite will be diminished.
    Again this is only the working type dogs from say you local K-9 program. If you are talking about going to your local breeder and picking up a Rott or GSD from a show dog background dont worry about it. Again in my experience, most of these dogs will NOT bite an intruder... (nomex on)
    Clients would tell me all the time "oh my dog will protect me if something were to happen". I would say ok lets try it and put the bite suit on and walk into the house unannounced (to the dog) on the next lesson and start yelling and screaming. Bottom line I never had a dog take a serious bite yet. Because that takes training by a professional trainer and time. I would tell most people use your dog as an alarm and teach him that the leave blowing across the yard is not a threat but the guy sneaking around the front door is!! It wont be long before the dog can distinguish someone walking down the sidewalk and someone jiggling your door handle!!
    I hope this helps you out and feel free to pm me for more info.
    I dont want to hijack this thread anymore than I have...;f
  2. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

Nov 11, 2002
    In my book you can't beat a German Shepherd as being the best all around dog don't miss a trick...

3. nhglocker

Dec 14, 2003
    New Hampshire

Sounds like you have some experience, I especially like the key dropping suggestion. Since you brought it up how would one train a dog to distinguish between squirrell in yard vs. stranger at door?

After reading these posts my personal choice would be a german shepard however I will need to get a bigger place first I think. My Grandfather trained this breed back in WW2 and owed his life to one.

Thanks all for the informative responses.
  4. Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    I'll bet you don't get bothered by strangers much!!

As to good "alarm" dogs, DON'T get a Boxer. Most boxers bark rarely, and usually only when playing. We go camping (at campgrounds) with our 5 year old boxer, Scarlett, a lot. The surrounding campers are usually surprised that we have a dog, because she rarely makes a peep, even when other dogs are walking by or through our campsite.

I agree with others who have said small dogs, especially terriers (sp?).
  5. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

May 26, 2003
    Melbourne, Fl
    good question, and the answer is???
    Speak with a professional trainer in your area. Maybe a Schutzhund club or French Ring type trainer and express to them what you want. A GSD is a fine choice but do lots of research before plunking down your hard earned cash!!! Also speak to the trainers about a good dog that maybe has flunked out of the local police department training...
    Good luck to you
  6. Bill73

May 20, 2004
    Central Texas
    Great Dogs! If the wife would consent to it I have two also.

7. lm921

lm921 The Stampede

Most any dog will do but a Border collie is a great pet and friend. we have a small border collie, a sheltie and a mini poodle. The border collie is the best by far :)
  8. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Apr 9, 2002
    The Peach State!!
    I can see the abuse going on in all 3 of their faces!!! Look at that!!! ;f ;a ;c ;c
  9. Dachshund. Very loyal. Hates strangers. Fierce, was bred to fight badgers (twice its weight.) Good barker.
  10. Petra

Oct 24, 2002
    Let me second the vote for Dachshunds. I've got three that let me know anytime something is going on outside. And lord help the person that comes to the door. They are big dogs in little bodies. The best description that I've heard is that they have Rottweiler engines on a Dachshund chasis. I have 1 standard size doxie and 2 tweenies (somewhere between standard and mini). If you just heard the standard one bark, you would swear that he was a huge dog.

As far as protection goes, may or may not work. Doxies fall into 2 categories. Those that like everybody and those that don't like anyone outside their family. We have 2 that love everyone. Then there's Junior. Junior has issues. We just got him from the SPCA at Christmas. He doesn't like anyone except my wife and I. He feels like he has to protect us for everyone and everything. He went after the neighbors Rottie because it got too close to his "mom." He also nipped a neighbor. Neighbor's fault. We told him that Junior would nip him but he reached down by Jr's mouth anyway. But we're working on him. Like the original poster, I don't look to my dogs for protection. Just to let me know that something is going on.

11. jfecteau

jfecteau ActionHandguns

Nov 1, 2002

I also agree that is more of a training issue with a dog and not specific to a breed. Pick the breed that you like and fits your lifestyle. A GSD or a Rott would be great as they are highly trainable but if all you want is some barking when someone unknown comes to the door a small dog would work great. I am also in NH and I work with a great trainer for my dogs. He breeds Champion Shutzhund German Shepards and is great with dogs. His name is John Wilkens from Windy Hill Kennels. He is located in Gilmanton which is between Laconia and Concord. Give him a call if you have any questions and he could help you with your decision. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions or need help finding breeders in the area.

Windy Hill Kennels
  12. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

Feb 21, 2003
    Nolensville, TN
    I'm highly allergic to dogs and cats. My own yorkie and a friends yorkie have never given me a bit of "nose" trouble. Neither mine or our friends houses smell like "dog". I know what you are talking about though. My parents will even dog sit at their place for our little guy, they wouldn't if he smelled.
    As a bonus he is a barking maniac when people walk by the house let alone up the driveway.
  13. ducati

Apr 7, 2001
    Jack Russell Terrier. I have 2. The female knows everything that goes on around my house. I know her bark when it is another animal or a person. They also sound so vicious that I don't have problems with the JWs.
  14. OSSI

OSSI Litter Kitty CLM

Mar 17, 2004
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have two:) :)
  15. German Shepherds are good guard dogs, but they need grooming and be kept busy.

My Doberman is the best guard dog I ever owned but also the most time consuming , aggressive, very loving, and most difficult dog. All in one package.

A Rottweiler is a pretty maintenance-free guard dog. The power of the bite is remarkable, my female could crack coconuts open at 96 lbs. Even my 170lbs male Great Dane could not do that.

As a small guard dog the Standard Schnauzer is unbeatable in my opinion. For an alarm dog a Miniature Schnauzer is also good choice, or the before mentioned Standard Poodle.
  16. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

May 20, 2000
    I have had 2 rotts,and they are amazing guard/watch dogs.They were both like having radar,a very deep growl and a hurt your ears deep bark.My 2 were females.I talked to a lady once that had a female--someone tried to jimmy the front door--the dog ran and tried to jump through the really thick stain glass door--bent it out--guy ran off.German shepards are also really great dogs--grew up with one--they react alot like rotts--very good guard instinct.A buddy of mine had one--it had bitten 2 people in its life that entered the property--nothing to mess with.It was a large male.
  17. We he was awake, my rott kept everyone away from my house. Sleeping was a different story, but atleast he slept by the front door. If anyone tryed to open it they would have to move him. The most important thing when picking a dog, is get one that will listen.
  18. AlexTheShotgunn

Feb 16, 2004
    I'll vote for terriers the larger ones (kerry blues,airdales) are very VERY energetic,smaller ones(scotties,westies,carins) are very feirce. My mother has a westie that can take most any dog i've seen includeing my sisters 200lb wolfhound. As far as pure scare factor a male wolfhound is a very scary dog indeed 200+ pounds and a bark and growl that will paralize most people with fear. They were after all used to kill wolves in the middle ages.
  19. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Jun 17, 2002
    45.8 N, 108.5 W
    Boerboels are neeto!

Just got mine!