Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Best do-it-all .45 acp?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wesleysmith, Mar 26, 2014.

1. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    If you like Sigs or DA/SA systems the Sig P227 is a heck of a gun.
  2. WrongWay

Jun 23, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH

I agree. I carry my 21 Gen 4, with 13 in the mag and one in the pipe. Two extra 13 round mags on the left side to balance things out. I use a concealed carry vest and no one ever knows I'm packin' 40 rounds of Federal 230 gr. HST.

3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    My CCW .45 is a big Springfield Armory M1911A1. It throws a 255gr SWC at 840 FPS.
  4. Mariojs

Aug 25, 2013
    Try a M&P .45fs you will be pleasantly suprised.....I was
  5. HEXE9

HEXE9 Shootin' Fool

Feb 12, 2002
    At the bottom of a hill.
    If the day comes you are forced into action and must rely on your sidearm to protect your life, I can't imagine anyone wishing they had carried a smaller framed pistol, fewer rounds, or a less capable caliber.

I train with, compete, and carry a GEN4 G21.

14 rounds of .45ACP Cor-Bon DPX is comforting.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  6. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

Nov 27, 2012
    San Antonio, Tx
    I'm curious. Where do you go all day needing this much protection? I agree that having and not needing is better than needing and not having but outside of a being a leo, if history has taught us anything one shot can land you in a heap of legal troubles. Not to mention loaded for a shoot out. The liberal guntards would be all over trying to paint you as provoking a fight. They gave Zimmerman crap for having one in the pipe, in Florida.

When I go out to the store, I carry my little Ruger in my pocket. At home my G21 is always loaded and nearby. I have never felt that fearful in my daily life, albeit, there have been times where some fire power would have been a bit more comforting. I guess I'm just hoping that producing the weapon will stymie the situation without pulling a trigger in most cases.

Again, no judgement, just curious.
  7. Sammael

Sammael Ich tu dir Weh.

Feb 13, 2008
    I can't speak for WrongWay, but I carry much the same load-out a good portion of the year.

My reasoning? In a past life, I've arrested enough hardcore career criminals/had run-ins with enough gang members, etc, that I don't want to run into one of the above on their terms. I'd rather do it on mine.

That part of my life is over, and for the most part, people have short memories... but some do not.

Maybe they won't remember me. Maybe they will. I'm ok with either.
  8. Photoman642

Jul 22, 2010
    The statistcal facts show that Joe Public will almost never need 50 rounds to take care of business. On the other hand, this is the land of the free (sort of) and if a guy wants to carry 50 rounds, I say, "Go for it!"

I'm quite comfortable carrying a Glock 27 using two mags with eight rounds in each mag.
  9. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

Jun 23, 2008
    WA state
    Couldn't agree more. I always carry a total load of at least 30 rds, the number of spare mags either 1 or 2 depending on the pistol.

Visualize it this way; You are drawing your pistol to defend your life and the life of your spouse, because a perp on the street pulled a knife on you as you are unlocking your car in a parking garage. You can see he is not alone and there are two more guys a few steps behind him. You're not really sure how many threats there might be! You will fire at the guy with the knife and know you might have to shoot multiple times until the threat goes down. You are thinking , glad I'm not only carrying a little 380 pocket pistol! You do not want to think about "will I have gun and enough ammo to stop these threats? You know you have a couple of spare mags on your belt for your service caliber pistol and can reload quickly if needed. You see at least 3 perps, another one draws a gun, ... the fight is on!!! Will you and your spouse survive and see tomorrow? If you believe you need to carry a gun, be sure it is adequate to solve a worse case problem!
  10. Photoman642

Jul 22, 2010
    If "worse case problem" is our standard of decision, then a handgun is not the solution! :)

Seriously, I'm moe interested in deciding what gun to carry based on actual events, not "what if" scenarios.
  11. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

Feb 19, 2009
    30s is far better than the fat G30 brick 'd slide for carry.
    30s fits my hand like a glove, better than any other Glock.
    Watch youtube's Hickock45 comparison of the two.
  12. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

Jun 23, 2008
    WA state

If you could predict when your major crisis will occur, of course you could plan for it! Problem is , you can't. You must train for the what ifs; the more the better. Proven leaders do this. Train for as much as you can, even if it is in just your mind, and when the SHTF you will prepared mentally to slolve the problem. You can not predict the when/where of a crisis, you can onlt be ready when it happens. When I trained as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for 10 years, we always trained for the unexpected.
  13. Photoman642

Jul 22, 2010
    My point is that it is possible to take the "what if" exercise to extremes and I see it often on the internet.
  14. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Jun 17, 2007
    Sig 220/45 ACP. Why? Its the hammer of THOR!!
  15. Big1

Jan 28, 2014
    My pick is the 30S, I love mines.
  16. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

Nov 27, 2012
    San Antonio, Tx

I too care not what one carries. As iceman writes, he has had part experience with those that might pose a continuous threat and I totally get his reasoning.

I, on the other hand have no b guys chasing me and live in a very low crime rate area. I was just a curious.
  17. bcj128

Oct 3, 2008
    La La Land
    I ccw a G30S and have carried my G21 Gen4 on occasion. However for you the G30SF might be the best "all around" 45..,

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  18. mattallamerican

Feb 17, 2011
    i carried mine all winter and two extra mags the 21 is the way to go
  19. WFR

Dec 2, 2001
    I'm seeing a Lot of Gen 4 G21 love in this thread!

How much difference is there between the Gen3 21SF and the Gen4 21?
    I owned a G20SF and the frame fit me well.
    Any advantage of the Gen4 over the Gen3 SF model?
  20. HEXE9

HEXE9 Shootin' Fool

Feb 12, 2002
    At the bottom of a hill.
    My reasons for selling all my 21SF's and going 21 GEN4's were the larger magazine release, grip texture, and the new dual RSA.

The texture and the dual RSA of the GEN4 took and already soft shooting 21SF and made it even softer!!!

On paper there is very little difference in the grip dimensions between the SF and the GEN4, but you'd never know that by holding a GEN4.