Best carry 1911 suggestions....

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by AGAF, Sep 26, 2012.

1. I've been carry a Kimber Pro CDP II for years.

Its the only aluminum framed 1911 I own.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. thisaway

I have carried my old Colt Commander on occasion.

3. that's beautiful Quack, shame the flat trigger :rofl:

4. The 1911s I carry when in a free state are: a Colt Combat Commander in .45ACP and SS. The other is a S&W 1911 Sc in .45ACP. I actually like the Smith better.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I should get my Springer Compact back in a week or so........
    This is my opinion of the best 45 carry piece........for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

:thumbsup:

7. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Yep, if you are a die-hard 1911 fan alloy frames are really the only way to go.

I'm generally not a fan of the small "officers" size frames. The size differential between a commander and an officer's model is negligible but the shootability of the two guns are night and day apart. IMO..

Far too many people start carrying a 1911 and within two weeks realize that toting 2-3 lbs of metal on your hip ain't much fun. I love my 1911 but its not my go-to CCW.

Most of the time you'll find me with a S&W M&P 340 .357 magnum in a Desantis Pocket holster. That gun goes everywhere with me and is half the weight of a loaded lightweight commander.

8. I carry an Ed Brown Special Forces with a Larry Davidson grip. Great pistol. Exceedingly accurate. It's a commander sized pistol.

9. I'm going to have to call you out on your comment.....

The length of a pistol makes a big difference if you appendix carry iwb. I carry Commander sized 1911's, Sig Carry model and Glock 30. All of them have similar length in slide/barrel (3.8-4.25 in barrels). If you were to add another inch to the length it would make a BIG difference on carrying for me. Now all my pistols neatly fit in the crease between my leg and my privates. Another inch would dig into my lower body.....not good.

10. My preferred carry is a Kimber Compact (Series I). It conceals easily. I shoot it more accurately than I do 5" Colt XSE or Springfield Mil-Spec. Great gun.

11. +1 for a Springer Compact if you can find one

I found a stainless one a few months ago a gun show
    It was in really bad shape cosmetically, but now it looks great and it is very accurate as well