close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best Carbon Cleaner

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by yipchoy, May 16, 2011.

1. yipchoy

yipchoy

Mar 2, 2009
    Hi Folks,
    can someone tell me what the best carbon cleaner is. I have tried Slip 2000 Carbon Killer and am so far underwhelmed by its performance.
    Thanks,
    Alan

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    For cleaning AR bolts?
    I use Motorcraft "fuel injection cleaner" comes in a metal pint can,
    can be found at your Ford dealer's parts counter.

Last edited: May 17, 2011

3. monkeykevin

monkeykevin

Aug 7, 2007
    Covington, WA
    Have you tried soaking? I just throw my "can" into.the bottle for a few days and its nice and clean ^_^

4. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    As monkeykevin mentioned, I soak mine overnight, comes out spotless. :supergrin:

5. yipchoy

yipchoy

Mar 2, 2009
    Hi Folks,
    thanks for the responses. I have tried soaking the parts overnight but it still demands a lot of elbow grease. The parts are the flash hider, gas regulator cap and piston tube from my Sig 556 Classic Swat. Those are the only parts that get any appreciable carbon deposits. I never thought of letting them soak for a few days. I'll give it a try and if it does not work try the Motorcraft product.
    Thanks,
    Alan

6. pag23

pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA
    What was your issue with Slip 2000 in regards to performance? I was going to order some in the near future. I currently use MPro 7 and some Milcomm products with no problems.

7. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
  8. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I place the parts in a gallon ZipLock bag, pour in enough cleaner to submerge,
    then carefully remove as much airspace in the bag I can. Then seal up, place in
    an old plastic container in case it leaks. Get the clean parets out the next day,
    they are spotless, or only require a toothbrush to remove the rest of the carbon.

9. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye

Feb 21, 2010
    I use CLP. Used it for years in the Army, and that's all they use. It's good enough to pass a rifle inspection.

10. monkeykevin

monkeykevin

Aug 7, 2007
    Covington, WA
    For me, I build upcarbon like no other onto my suppressor, piston tube, and piston rod. I personally LOVE Slip2000 product because its environmentally safe (TOXIC IMO still) I do a quick pre-clean with 725 Degreaser, then soak it 1-2 days in Piston/Choke cleaner, and 1 day in Carbon Killer which are all Slip2000 product. I do find Carbon Killer leaving a slight residue/green film behind looking like a corroded penny.

Last but not the least, light coat of EWL lube then set and forget on LOW temp in the mini oven =P After that lightly remove any excess lube.

11. yipchoy

yipchoy

Mar 2, 2009
    Pag23,
    my beef with CK was that it did not perform as advertised. I guess I was too gullible in believing their marketing message. But when you say that all you have to do is soak the soiled parts for a specific time then wipe clean, I expect to do just that. And of course it did not. Oh well fool me once...
    Alan

12. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    No need to go through any of that. Just hose it down with any good cleaner and wipe it off. If it doesn't come off, don't sweat it. If a cleaning takes more than 15 minutes you're wasting time.

13. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
  14. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South