close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Camp Gun

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by dlanc, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Unistat

Unistat
    Expand Collapse

I take my Springfield M6 Scout .22/.410 O/U for funsies and my S&W 13 .357 for everything else.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. CBennett

CBennett
    Expand Collapse

Remington 870 for a camp gun, My Dan Wesson .357 for a woods/trail gun . IF I had a lever action in .357 to go with my Dan Wesson revolver perfect match IMO.

3. SigFTW

SigFTW
    Expand Collapse

Hunting rifle (7mm Mag) and Bow (Mathew Monster 7.0)
    Side arm 1911 when I am out hunting or at camp.
    When I get my Coonan 357, it will replace my 1911 as my camp and hunting side arm.

4. RedHaze

RedHaze
    Expand Collapse
    Handgunner

[​IMG]

Something cheap, that you won't mind getting a little rusty. Something tough and powerful. Like a cut down single shot. $50 sounds like a awesome camp gun.

5. Unistat

Unistat
    Expand Collapse

Hear that! I don't know if I'd stop bringing the M6 though. I might have to do away with some other gear to fit the lever gun in the weight limit. I can't wait till the kids are old enough to pack with gear like a sherpa, lol.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper
    Expand Collapse
    Almost Done

I bought 3 H&R/NEF single shots, in various conditions, for around 150-170 total.
    Barrels were cut down to a handy but legal length, the front sight was reinstalled and a HiViz fiber optic sleeve was slipped over the barrel. A set of sling swivel studs and a slip on neoprene shell holder later and bang, a perfect camp gun that doesn't get screwed up if the gun goes over when your canoe tips (having a line attached through the rear sling swivel stud keeps it from being lost in one of the famous internet "boating accidents").

ETA- I gifted the guns to my brothers and a good friend. I have yet to make one of my own.

#46 BamaTrooper, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. glockurai

glockurai
    Expand Collapse

Don't go camping much but it would be my Norinco MAK 90. It should be enough.

8. CBennett

CBennett
    Expand Collapse

yeah ive wanted one for years maybe THAT will be my next buy cant beat something that can take .38 special or .357 in a snubby,regular length revolver and a lever action long gun..and for the most part with me being in PA and nothing bigger than small to medium size black bears(yes now and then they WILL get a 600+ pounder around but thats RARE) .357 out of a lever action and even a 4" revolver is good. But till I get that the 870 pretty much out to 100 yds with a rifled slug barrel is a jack of all trades from pests(with low brass shot) to eating/food(with regular hunting rounds) to self defense with buckshot out to 40 yds or so, and then slugs out to 100 yds .

9. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic
    Expand Collapse

i take whatever is in my gun safe that i feel will stop anything intruding into my camp. that goes for snakes all the way up to bear. in my eyes a .22LR isnt going to cut it

10. MrGlock21

MrGlock21
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Instructor

It varies, depending on my whim and how much hiking is involved.
    Last time it was a Ruger 10/22 Take Down and a Glock 20. Next time it could be a 260 lightweight bolt gun and the LC9, next time it may be my AK bullpup and a G27 ... whatever.

What I don't have but keep looking at, is a Browning Lever Action Take Down in 243. Intriguing. I know I want one. Question is when to click and order one.

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Truck camping I usually find myself with a Marlin 1894 and a 4-5/8" Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. Always seem to have a 10/22 as well.

Backpacking is a different story - usually just the Blackhawk in .45 Colt or the Super Blackhawk.

12. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

Right now I hike and camp with a Kel Tec Pf9, but I'm shopping around for a lightweight compact .40 or 45, like the S&W Shield in 40 or the Springfield XD-S in .45.

While most of the time I'm just worried about 2 legged predators, my only other concern is if a Coyote, feral dog, or black bear doesn't "get" when you tell it to and decides you smell nice and it wants a taste.

13. Bill Keith

Bill Keith
    Expand Collapse

It's a Simmons1"red dot with 3 MOA dot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. Glockworks

Glockworks
    Expand Collapse
    Ready/Aim/Fire

Camp gun in Alaska, Florida, where?