Best areas to live around Harrisburg?

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania Glockers Club' started by Henry's Dad, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

My wife took a job in Harrisburg, so looks like we're moving from MontCo.

I need input on what areas are nice, what to avoid, etc. We will be buying a house, preferably with some land.

We don't want to live in the city of Harrisburg proper, so I'm looking for info on the 'burbs, no more than 20 miles in any direction.

East of the river or west? Best taxes? Best schools (no kids yet, but thinking ahead)?

Differences between counties? Dauphin, York, Cumberland, Perry, Lebanon?

Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Similar situation, except (maybe) moving from out of state. How is the job market around Harrisburg?

#2 dp2002813, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. IMHO I would say the West Shore would be better. Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, Dillsburg, New Cumberland. Taxes vary of course and Since I haven't lived in all of the above I cannot really say. Taxes are definitely higher in the Mechanicsburg Area.

4. I vote for Camp Hill & Mechanicsburg.. lot to do numerous retail areas and shopping... I always pass some nice developments right off of I-81 right across the river.

5. yep mechanicsburg and camphill are probably the best areas to be in if you can afford it. for less expensive houses with some land carlisle, marysville and dauphin are good if you don't mind driving a bit to the city.

6. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

Ha, I almost forgot I started this thread (a month before the first reply comes in will do that to an OP).

In any case, thanks for the feedback. We've actually bought a place right in downtown. We never thought we would, but our realtor showed us a few and we really fell for the place we're buying. 2 blocks from the capitol, so we're in a decent neighborhood. We close on it at the end of March.

I've since had quite an education on the area, and if it hadn't been the city we probably would have gone west shore. There are some nice places around Hershey, but the taxes are criminal. (I'm amazed we found a city property with low taxes, esp. since Harrisburg is in bankruptcy.)

Now fill me in on what I really need to know: best gunshops, ranges, rod & gun clubs...