close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best AR15 "Tack Driver"

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by nastytrigger, May 15, 2011.

1. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    I'm looking to buy a new rifle, or build, a AR15 'tack driver'. Possibly a Mk12-style rifle? 18" barrel?

Here's my list so far:
    5.56mm Chamber
    1:8 Twist
    Leupold VX3 scope (probably 6.5-20x40mm)
    Harris bipod
    A2 Fixed Stock (may decide on something else)
    RRA 2-stage trigger

This is the only Mk12 upper BCM has in stock:
    [​IMG]

2. I have been drooling all over that upper ever since it came out a few years ago. I'm sure it will fit the bill. I have an 18" LaRue Stealth upper, and it's certainly a tack driver too. If you are really after the Mk12 Mod 0 look, I would wait for one of those BCM uppers to come back in stock.

I think you're certainly on the right track though, the only thing I may suggest doing differently is a Geissle trigger rather than a RRA.

Here's my LaRue SPRish, so much fun putting together:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011

3. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    Thats a good start you have going. Two things I might throw out for you to ponder.

1/8 twist is a really good all around twist rate. I assume by "tack driver" you will be taking it out to some long range distances (>500 yds). Consider going 1/7 just so you can run some heavier grain lead for longer distances. My projectile of choice for longer distance would be 77g mk262 and I think 1/8 will handle that nicely, however.

If you want a rifle length stock (and cheek weld is uber-important for precision shooting) consider the Vltor A5. Its the bees knees right now as far as stocks go.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Vltor-A5-Conversion-EMOD-Complete-KIT-BLACK-p/vltor%20aebk-a5b%20emod-a5%20black.htm

ETA: I agree 110% with Cpt; scrap the RRA NM trigger and get a Geissele.

Last edited: May 15, 2011