close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best AR for under a grand

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Skadoosh, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Skadoosh

Skadoosh Tap Rack Bang

Nov 4, 2010
    Indiana
    Will be buying my first AR looking to spend under a grand, later on I'm sure I'll buy another, probably a good BCM or DD or LWRC. Opinions?

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    You should be able to buy a Colt, DD, BCM or other for under a grand if you shop right.

3. Skadoosh

Skadoosh Tap Rack Bang

Nov 4, 2010
    Indiana
    Well dang i better get looking lol all colts and DD i have seen are like 1200

4. mdfd

mdfd

Sep 29, 2006
    Skadoosh - I feel exactly what you're sayin man...I started out thinking/asking the same question...

Well, I don't have an AR yet, but now I think I have a greater appreciation of the different kinds out there vs. what I want...

I want a HF barrel in 16", 1:7 twist, mid-length gas system, all mil-spec, and most of all a piston system. Anything else I can add/change later to suit my tastes...

Unfortunately, I have found none that are at $1k or less. Therefore I have just resorted to waiting to save up and keep looking for the right deal instead of "settling" to buy an AR that doesn't have what I want and spending more in the long run by buying multiple AR's...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  5. DD, BCM, Colt, LMT; they're worth saving up a little longer to get. you'll be happy you did. the plain jane vanilla flavored m4 types from these companies can be found for right around a grand...good luck!

edit: in my very humble opinion, don't get caught up in the piston ar craze...flame suit on...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  6. Skadoosh

Skadoosh Tap Rack Bang

Nov 4, 2010
    Indiana
    Yea this AR will be my first but it will definately be a project so i can upgrade it and all that jazz it will definately be an expensive piece when i am finished.

7. Skadoosh

Skadoosh Tap Rack Bang

Nov 4, 2010
    Indiana
    I live in Indiana, so the 1500 is the best show around and the only "plain jane" Ar's i have seen are the RRA and Bushy for like 800-900 which was what i was planning on getting. But if i found a Colt 6920 or something alike for about a grand i'd go all in on that baby. And yea if i ever get a piston gun it will be way later when i have the money to play with something that will potentially make me pull my hair out. After an AR i would probably get an M1A or an AK in 5.45.

8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Colt 6920s are right at $950-$1000 and though I am not in love with a standard issue Colt M4 I do like them for what the are and at that price point almost impossible to beat.

9. Skadoosh

Skadoosh Tap Rack Bang

Nov 4, 2010
    Indiana
    When im finished with it, it wont be a "boring" M4. I just want a good base gun, something reliable, accurate, and durable. Sounds like a Colt, If i can find one.

10. Skadoosh

Skadoosh Tap Rack Bang

Nov 4, 2010
    Indiana
  11. stricky

stricky Unknown to Me

Jul 17, 2006
    PA
  12. Skadoosh

Skadoosh Tap Rack Bang

Nov 4, 2010
    Indiana
  13. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    They are ok. But seriously you will probably want to upgrade in a year or so if you buy one. If you get a Colt you will hold on to it for years and years. Or if you step it up a notch or two and get a Noveske.... Haha.

I would just buy once and cry once.

14. Skadoosh

Skadoosh Tap Rack Bang

Nov 4, 2010
    Indiana
    Yea i feel ya..nice icon by the way. those bunkey busters really mess some ***** up.

15. someone just had the Colt 6920 on sale for $999.
    can't remember who.

I ended up buying a kit from PSA. Someone at work just gave me a free lower, so I'll probably hit up PSA again for something different.

16. Skadoosh

Skadoosh Tap Rack Bang

Nov 4, 2010
    Indiana
    Not sure if i'd like ordering a gun online, gotta pay transfer fees shipping...all that.

17. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    G&R Tactical