close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Best ammo for the 380 pocket guns?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by WEATHERBY460, Feb 11, 2013.

1. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460

Feb 18, 2005
    ILLINOIS
    I am looking for recommendations for 380 ammo for the little pocket guns.....thanks

2. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Texas

3. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    WEATHERBY460..."I am looking for recommendations for 380 ammo for the little pocket guns"

I assume you are referring to self protection ammo.

As rednoved pointed out Speer Gold Dots are an excellent choice, I personally like Hornady 90g XTP HP myself.

For practice ammo, Federal "American Eagle" Ammunition 95g FMJ bullets will give you close to the same feel as your self defense ammo.

4. The Fed

The Fed

Dec 23, 2012
    Central Florida
    Winchester 85-grain Silvertips. Low recoil, low flash, high velocity HP's. But try to find them. I bought 3 boxes/50 2 weeks ago. Now my source is out of them, and they were the only place I found. All they have now is 95 GR. JHP BONDED S380PDB for $21/20

5. I'll second the Gold Dots. Very consistent bullet size.
    The Hornady ones I had tried had some feeding issues with certain boxes because the bullets were not seated quite as deep, and with those ultra compact semi-autos the bullet size is really important.

6. banger

banger

Nov 8, 2005
    Where evil lives
    In the smaller calibers, I prefer Ball.

I will take adequate penetration over the supposed advantage of expansion every time.

Large superficial surface wounds are not all that effective as opposed to those that get to vital organs.

The same advise goes for .25 and .32 also.

Flame suit on....fire away.

7. CanMan

CanMan Silver Member

Jun 15, 2012
    in flagrante
    Even though I've had but a few bobbles in my LCP or Kahr P380 using HP ammo I feel the same way. When I'm limited to pocket carrying a small auto I want it to work. Period. I know stoking the mouse gun with ball is a trade off, but carrying small autos necessitates confidence in reliability. I roll the dice occassionally.

8. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Not big on .380 for self defense.
    Never carry less than a 9mm or 38.

But if I did?
    Believe I read Mas say -
    "LAPD uses Hornady Critical Defense in their .380 backup guns".

I like using LE ammo for Self Defense.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

Mar 17, 2010
    JBA
    Hornady Critical Duty/Defense for me. TNTOutdoors does a pretty exhaustive review of a few of the common manufacturers ammo on YouTube.

10. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Not a big fan of .380 myself. I carried one years ago, a P3AT, and I carried it loaded with FMJ.

If I was going to carry one again it would probably be loaded with XTP. They tend to be good penetrators.

11. Ljutic

Ljutic

Jun 8, 2011
    This guy tests quite a few different 380 ammo choices.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/p/ammo-tests.html

I always carried Federal Hydra-Shoks, but have recently seen the light with FMJ so that's what has been loaded all Winter. One of these days I'll run a round nose fmj vs. flat nose fmj test and pick a favorite FMJ ammo.

12. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    If I still owned a .380ACP I'd likely carry a heavy-for-caliber hardcast round.

13. I don't think most 380s open very much to begin with so i doubt penetration suffers much, that said my choice is GD hollowpoint ammo. I'll take a little less penetration and a little bigger hole instead of a ice pick hole a little deeper. I think maybe a flat nose fmj would be a good combination of both.

14. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Good choice, for penetration is very important with such weak rounds.

15. Ljutic

Ljutic

Jun 8, 2011
    They make at least 3 that I'm aware of. I tested all 3 last year.

Corbon 90 Grain JHP
    Corbon Pow'R Ball 70 Grain Pow'R Ball
    Corbon DPX 80 Grain DPX

16. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Wow, thanx - I had no idea.

17. Ljutic

Ljutic

Jun 8, 2011
    You might be surprised by the expansion of some of the 380s. I know I was when I started testing them. Due to mass and velocity, the largest expanding rounds suffered from lesser penetration.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  18. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    BTW, I'm on the Karhtalk board and first saw your data there. I want to say again that I very much appreciate your time and effort in sharing your work with us.