close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

best all around pocket knife

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by mariner19, May 3, 2008.

1. mariner19

mariner19

Aug 15, 2006
    what pocket knife would you guys recommend? manual folder? automatic? what brand? i'm thinking of a knife that's good for utility, self-defense, etc. reliable and durable.

2. BrassKnuckle

BrassKnuckle

Mar 2, 2008
    There's such a thing as the "law of inverse utility" which states that the more things a gadget is designed to do, the less efficiently it can do any of those.

A bowie knife would be better than a swiss knife for self defense, and a regular pair of scissors would cut better than those on a swiss knife, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not discouraging you from taking a one-size-fits-all approach. Just be reminded that there are compromises involved and it is best that you consider them when making your final choice.

3. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

Sep 16, 2006
    Philippines
    why not try a leatherman or gerber pocket multi-tool? folded or not can be used as a self-defense tool (serves as a kubotan), espcially the long-nose driver.

4. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    Any folding knife with a good lock, easy to open, quality steel would be good. Good brands are benchmade, spyderco, cold steel, kershaw, crkt, al mar. The more expensive ones are microtech, emerson, chris reeve.

For utility use, i suppose you should stay away from the exotic blade profiles, claw types and such. Something with a 3" blade would be a good all around knife.

5. wtf jack

wtf jack

Sep 1, 2007
  6. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    get a knife with a liner lock. it's more robust and is safer to use. lesser chance that it will accidentally close in your hands.

7. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Sep 15, 2001
    19th Hole
    My carry knife on/off duty was a Frost Cutlery (Japan made) half plain and half serrated. It has served me well picking dead bolts and cutting steel cables. Make sure sure it is all steel, no plastic or fiberglass handles.

8. wtf jack

wtf jack

Sep 1, 2007
    [​IMG]

9. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

+1 on the Emerson.

SOE carries the biggest selection of knives in the country. Why not go there and see what fits?

10. felix1985

felix1985 Draw the line

Jul 30, 2007
    Central Indiana
    I can't find anything i like better for the money than a kershaw.

11. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    My Cold steel has served me very well numerous times
    4 inch tanto , half serrated
    Cuts thru flesh and cartilage cleanly
    Di ka na pipila , direcho ka na agad dun sa lechon
    A few slashes of the CS dala mo na laman at balat

12. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
  13. tglahn17

tglahn17

Mar 25, 2007
    Spyderco Delica or Native with Spyderedge blade. If you can spend more money, Syderco Harpy Spyderedge with carbon fiber scales. That's my every day carry. Good luck,

14. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

Jul 27, 2006
    It depends on your budget bro, and for what kind of utility use...if you'll be cutting a lot of rope or cord, get one with serrations. If you're going to be using it for self-defense, get one with a plain edge as serrations may catch on bone.

For the budget concious, the Spyderco Tenacious is a great knife, very versatile and has good, grippy handles (they're made of G10) and the liner lock is also solid. Spyderco has made a lot of good knives in the past, but this is a real value for money knife.

As for self defense, I think that nothing beats Emerson knives. Dirt easy to use, and almost no care needed. A little pricey at first, but you know what you're paying for once you have one in your hand.

15. bertud ng putik

bertud ng putik

Feb 1, 2005
    cavite
    emerson daw ang ok! nag punta ako sa SOE last week. ang gaganda ng emerson grabe! bandang hapon ako nag punta, sayang at umaga or tanghali nag punta si melbu. sayang at di kami nagkita.

16. mariner19

mariner19

Aug 15, 2006
    thank you to all who replied. really appreciate it! :cool: i actually went to SOE the other day and manny gave very helpful tips and advice similar to what you guys are saying. i was able to narrow down the purpose of the knife (self-defense) since i already have a Gerber multi-tool and a Swiss knife. The Emersons are really nice. Mag iipon muna ako :supergrin:

17. mariner19

mariner19

Aug 15, 2006
    actually excuse ko lang yata ang self-defense. i think it's just really nice to have a cool pocket knife :supergrin:

18. Punisher_nbi45

Punisher_nbi45 R we der yet?

Dec 24, 2004
    a place far, far away
    If you're budget conscious, I think you should probably go with cold steel. Their knives are okay, and they're reasonably affordable.

All the other brands mentioned above would make great carry knives / all-around utility knives.

If you really want a rough-and-tumble, workhorse knife that you wouldn't mind abusing, I'd recommend Zero Tolerance or Strider. Especially Strider.

I have a GB. Despite how big it looks, it just fits right in my hand (well, i do have large hands). There are other strider folders that are smaller, but the common characteristic with all of them is that they are quality-made and built to withstand the toughest abuse you could reasonably dish out.

My 2 cents worth.

19. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

+1 The Gerber Multi-tool excels on this one. The exposed long nose plier is a great impact device

Another one is the Cold Steel AK-47 knife. The exact same knife that saved my life last year during a knife fight with 3 holduppers. Like the emrson knives, The Cold Steel AK-47 has a neat waved feature for quick and easy deployment. The exact same feature that allowed me to quickly deploy my knife during the fight.

[​IMG]

20. Clusterbomb

Clusterbomb

Jan 22, 2008
    I've handled a friend's Spyderco Native and I must say I found the grip to be one of the most comfortable for my hands. Sayang, they don't sell those here anymore. Last time I saw one was at Hahn, Megamall about two years ago. They haven't restocked them ever since.