Best AK mags?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Walk Soft, Nov 9, 2012.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

I have never had any mag issues with my AKs. My Chinese were new when I bought them. My Hungarians were "surplus", but they looked new. The I think I have an East German. I think I have a Russian.

So far no issues. I do have some rust on a couple mags but they were wet for several days.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Any STEEL mag made in previously commie bloc country should be fine. They are built like tanks. If there is a ban you should be able to keep them going basically forever with only very occasional spring replacements.

3. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

double

#23 RWBlue, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  4. WayaX

Lifetime Member

The problem is they can't be disassembled for cleaning/repair, and they cost almost as much as the gold standard of polymer magazines (which is more properly re-enforced). Their size also does not allow them to fit into many AK magazine pouches.

While I've never had issue with mine, I would not buy more until they come down in price. At $15 they would be a good deal; at $25-30, they're competing with circle-10 magazines, which are superior.

5. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

Yep and youtube is full of us palm mags with floor plates that just fall off.

6. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

so yugo bho good or bad? Whats the "mushy trigger" comment about, i dont see how a mag would affect trigger.

7. The best mags I've found are steel surplus East German, Bulgarian and Chinese. All run beautiful.

#27 ArmoryDoc, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

seems several distributors have "eastern european" mags of mixed nationality, for good price though

9. Eastern European Steel mags have never given me an issue.
    I bought 3 dozen when they were cheap and wish I would have gotten two dozen more. You have to love a magazine you can beat your enemies to death with.

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

:agree:

Romanian, Polish, German, and Russian steel mags all work great.

11. WayaX

Lifetime Member

Hold the bolt back and pull the trigger (make sure the rifle is unloaded first). That is mushy. When an AK is empty, you should get a click, not mush.

#31 WayaX, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  12. "Best" - not sure, but the Bulgarian "circle 10" have been good as well as all of my eastern european surplus steel ones.

I honestly have had nothing but good experiences with the ProMag waffle pattern magazines. More a testament to the AK than ProMag I'm sure. I have not had any good experiences with any other type of ProMag.

I've come to the conclusion it must be pretty hard to screw up an AK mag.

#32 SDDL-UP, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  13. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

The Des. Eagle 44mag ones I have are good.:supergrin:

14. Great review as always, short and sweet and no fluff. Keep them coming. All good subjects!

15. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

My 40 round steel East Germans are my favorites.

16. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member
    Silver Member

A few years back I got 10 steel mags from either Spotsmans Guide or Cheaper than Dirt, deilvered to my door, for $33.

$3.30 each, delivered.

And I've never had a single problem with them.

Those are the best AK mags.