close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best 9mm SD Ammunition

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ntech, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ntech

ntech
    Expand Collapse

I recently purchased a G26. I am new to 9mm ammunition, and I have a few questions pertaining to selecting the best ammo for SD:

1. would like to know what is the most effective round that will ensure proper expansion for SD?

2. Which brand is most recommended?

3. Which grain count should I get?

4. Should I get the +P?

5. What does bonded mean?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. sentinel208

sentinel208
    Expand Collapse

I believe that bonded refers to the bullet core (lead) being permanently (bonded/attached) to the jacket which would prevent the lead core from separating from the jacket thereby enhancing penetration. As for my carry round, I went with the Federal HST 124gr +P.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

The above poster explained bonded perfectly. Its real benefit is for penetration through barriers(auto glass, doors, etc.). There really is no "best"... There are some popular ones, and some not so popular, but honestly, thats not what you should be basing your choices on.

1st. Is the round you select easily available in your area, or are you gonna spend months on a waiting list? Or at the very least, is it regularly in stock at online retailers.

2nd. Is the round dependable and reasonably accurate in your gun. If I like(for example) the 147gr Gold Dot and say it performs best, but it constantly malfunctions in your gun or you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, then its not the best for you, no matter what I say.

Go to your local ammo retailer, get a couple of different JHPs, Speer, Federal, Winchester, all make some pretty good ones. Take them to the range, and shoot them. Get an idea what you like best. Go get more of that, and shoot around a 100rds, to make sure it functions well in your gun.

then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Minor differences in ammo, is not gonna be what ends a gun fight, where you put that round is what will save your bacon.

Now, having said all that, I really like the 147gr Gold Dot, 124gr +P Gold Dot in 9mm, for all the reasons I listed above. Thats been my 9mm choices for the last few years.

IGF

4. jesse2205

jesse2205
    Expand Collapse

The consensus around here for grain count is 124. My personal favorite ammo is the federal hst, but good luck finding any of that. If you ever see any at your local store, pick it up and give it a try. A great ammo that is pretty easily available and is SUPERB IMO would be Speer Gold Dot 124gr.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

When you say around here, are you referring to your area PD's, or your friends, or "here" on GT. I'd hardly say there's a consensus on anything regarding this subject, in any caliber, here on GT... :)

IGF

6. DocKWL

DocKWL
    Expand Collapse

Use any one of the following:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Which one is best? The one you have in your weapon at the time when you need it.

7. moncoacp

moncoacp
    Expand Collapse

124 gr seems to be the overwhelming choice. What is the disadvantage, if any, of using 115gr FMG for practice? This is the easiest and easiest round for me to find.

8. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

The best self-defense JHP ammo is the one that has proven itself capable of the FBI's minimum penetration 12" standard, to begin with.

After that, fire a number of different premium self-defense rounds offered by established ammo makers and select the one(s) that have the best accuracy and shooting characteristics in your G-26, including absolute reliability.

9. sentinel208

sentinel208
    Expand Collapse

10. m4arc

m4arc
    Expand Collapse

I carry Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ in all my Glocks including my G26. I love the stuff.

11. packinaglock

packinaglock
    Expand Collapse
    John 3:16
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Same here!

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Overwhelming choice where? For every dept carrying a 124gr +P round, you can find another issuing a 115gr +P or 147gr round.

None of these are really an "overwhelming choice" or Caliber corner wouldn't really be what it is.. :) I don't see anything wrong w/ using 115gr FMJ for practice. Since thats the standard WWB Value Pack weight, I'd say there's a lot of folks using that round to practice.

IGF

#12 IndyGunFreak, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

14. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans
    Expand Collapse
    FYPM

I guess we've all got to go through a learning curve to get to where we are confident that we have a carry ammo that, if not the "best", will at the least be effective in our weapons in the type of scenario we anticipate finding ourselves in. FWIW, the answer I've come up with is Ranger-T 124+p and 230+p and I've recently laid in a lifetime supply in case the Progressistas outlaw it. YMMV.

15. jesse2205

jesse2205
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, that was really just my opinion by reading most threads. I personally use 147. Many say that 147 is too slow and doesn't expand like it should.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

LOL... Coming to any sort of consensus on, weight, brand, etc(even if you toss caliber out) would be akin to Right To Life groups coming to an agreement w/ Pro Choice groups.

It'll just NEVER happen.

IGF

17. racer88

racer88
    Expand Collapse
    NRA & SAF mbr

Seems that asking about the "best ammunition" on this forum is akin to asking which engine oil is best on a car forum. :duel:

18. JRWnTN

JRWnTN
    Expand Collapse

When used to describe bullets, "grain" is the measure of weight, sort of like grams, ounces, etc. "Grain count" is an odd way to ask "What weight bullet should I get?"

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

:rofl: .. Probably worse.

Besides, we all know Mobile One is the best! :)

IGF

20. carbofan21

carbofan21
    Expand Collapse

if you want expansion and penetration, look for some 147 grain federal HST