Best 9mm ammo for SD/HD

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Shiloh228, Jan 9, 2013.

1. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

The federal pble 9mm load did really good for the dekalb county police.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

The 9BPLE is in my spare magazine. :cool:

3. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST are the top of the lists as near as I can tell. Only real differences are in the margins.

Gold Dot is better if you are concerned about shooting through auto-glass (like a cop). Gold Dot is a bonded bullet that retains weight better shooting through hard obstacles.

HST expands better at lower velocities than Gold Dot does. HST is a better choice if you are shooting from a short barreled pistol or want to avoid +P ammo.

For most civilians HST is the better choice although there is nothing wrong with Gold Dot. If you are a cop then I would pick Gold Dot first due to the auto glass advantage.

4. Theoretically , "Muscle memory" is what redundancy,(Practice,practice,practice) , should "Hopefully" accomplish .
    To mechanically react to , with out thought , would be the ultimate goal..!

Ditto on that GD thing....!

#44 dango, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  5. How about federal Tactical bonded? The stuff is supposed to be great through barriers and still has great expansion qualities.

6. I'd like to know more about the Tactical Bonded also, as at the moment the standard pressure 124-grain TB is loaded in my 9mm. Aside from being included on some "approved list" I don't think I've seen any stats on it.

Edit to add: I just checked some old ammo notes I have and in one lengthy ATK ammo video the Tactical Bonded is tested against other ATK rounds. The penetration appears on par with the Gold Dot and HST with the HST having somewhat greater expansion than the Gold Dot and Tac Bonded. I also looked closely at the standard pressure 124-grain Tac Bonded and visually I can't see any difference in bullets between it and Gold Dot.

#46 unit1069, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  7. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Well I know where my front sight is! :supergrin:

8. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I am carrying Critical duty in a G34. Anyone have any chrono info for that combo?

9. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

But I don't have tritium night sights yet. : (

#49 SCmasterblaster, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013