Glock Talk banner

Best 9mm ammo for SD/HD

8K views 48 replies 28 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
I've done a search, but couldn't find a thorough discussion on this. This surprises me, since I would expect that it's not a new question.

So...if I've missed the relevant thread(s), please direct me...thanks.

Question: What is the recommended/preferred 9mm ammo for HD? I would expect a JHP, but I've seen all sorts of products discussed: Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense, Golden Saber, etc. with different loads, velocity, etc.

Is there a compliled list/review of these (and other) products? With comparative data, etc.

BTW, yes indeed, I am a (retired) engineer! :wavey:

Thanks in advance for the good advice!

#27 ·
Reactions: Warp
#36 ·
I don't have a good reason other than personal preference, but I like the GD in 147gr. Especially when loaded by someone that heats it up, like Buffalo Bore or Underwood. Currently I keep Buffalo Bore Gold Dot 147g+p+ in my G17.

#43 ·
Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST are the top of the lists as near as I can tell. Only real differences are in the margins.

Gold Dot is better if you are concerned about shooting through auto-glass (like a cop). Gold Dot is a bonded bullet that retains weight better shooting through hard obstacles.

HST expands better at lower velocities than Gold Dot does. HST is a better choice if you are shooting from a short barreled pistol or want to avoid +P ammo.

For most civilians HST is the better choice although there is nothing wrong with Gold Dot. If you are a cop then I would pick Gold Dot first due to the auto glass advantage.

#44 · (Edited)
True enough. But I'm comfortable with the stakes vs. odds ratio.

The main thing is one's moral and ethical ability to actually pull the trigger at all; the second thing would be to actually hit what you aim at in a high-stress situation. All the fancy ammo in the world can't overcome those obstacles.
Theoretically , "Muscle memory" is what redundancy,(Practice,practice,practice) , should "Hopefully" accomplish .
To mechanically react to , with out thought , would be the ultimate goal..!

Ditto on that GD thing....!

#46 · (Edited)
How about federal Tactical bonded? The stuff is supposed to be great through barriers and still has great expansion qualities.
I'd like to know more about the Tactical Bonded also, as at the moment the standard pressure 124-grain TB is loaded in my 9mm. Aside from being included on some "approved list" I don't think I've seen any stats on it.

Edit to add: I just checked some old ammo notes I have and in one lengthy ATK ammo video the Tactical Bonded is tested against other ATK rounds. The penetration appears on par with the Gold Dot and HST with the HST having somewhat greater expansion than the Gold Dot and Tac Bonded. I also looked closely at the standard pressure 124-grain Tac Bonded and visually I can't see any difference in bullets between it and Gold Dot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.