Glock Talk banner

Best 9mm ammo for SD/HD

8K views 48 replies 28 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
I've done a search, but couldn't find a thorough discussion on this. This surprises me, since I would expect that it's not a new question.

So...if I've missed the relevant thread(s), please direct me...thanks.

Question: What is the recommended/preferred 9mm ammo for HD? I would expect a JHP, but I've seen all sorts of products discussed: Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense, Golden Saber, etc. with different loads, velocity, etc.

Is there a compliled list/review of these (and other) products? With comparative data, etc.

BTW, yes indeed, I am a (retired) engineer! :wavey:

Thanks in advance for the good advice!

#3 ·
#15 ·
I carry Winchester PDX-1 in all my pistols (9/40/45)... If it's good enough for the Bureau, it's good enough for me.

#16 ·
I really like the performance of the Federal HST 147 grain and it is my top pick. If that was not available, I would be just fine with Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger T.

Check out some videos from tnoutdoors9 on youtube. He is a member here and posts a lot of ballistic gel ammo videos.

#17 ·
Are there any MD restrictions on ammo type?
If you mean Maryland by "MD"...I don't know of any -- yet...

Our annual legislative session began yesterday, and there is a lot of talk about increased gun/mag bans/restrictions.

I haven't heard anything about ammo...but with these loons you never know. I have hope in that they probably don't know what ammo is, or even how a gun works.

#18 ·
If you mean Maryland by "MD"...I don't know of any -- yet...

Our annual legislative session began yesterday, and there is a lot of talk about increased gun/mag bans/restrictions.

I haven't heard anything about ammo...but with these loons you never know. I have hope in that they probably don't know what ammo is, or even how a gun works.
I used to live in MD - Georgetown. 1980-82

#19 · (Edited)
All the premium ammo is trying to make the FBI test, their proof of capability. This means that there is little variety in performance between the premium rounds.

The only difference it probably the bonded vs. non-bonded. If I were in the field expecting to shoot suspects in a car, I think I would want the bonded ammo like GD. As is I bought a supply a long time ago. It is HST2 in 147gr. It is not bonded. I don't plan on upgrading at this time.

The biggest key to stopping someone intent on killing you is to make a good hit. The cartridge, the bullet and the load are secondary.

My suggestion is to find something that runs in your gun and you are accurate with and buy enough that you don't have to buy a different lot next year.

#20 ·
All the premium ammo is trying to make the FBI test, their proof of capability. This means that there is little variety in performance between the premium rounds.

The only difference it probably the bonded vs. non-bonded. If I were in the field expecting to shoot suspects in a car, I think I would want the bonded ammo like GD. As is I bought a supply a long time ago. It is HST2 in 147gr. It is not bonded. I don't plan on upgrading at this time.

The biggest key to stopping someone intent on killing you is to make a good hit. The cartridge, the bullet and the load are secondary.

My suggestion is to find something that runs in your gun and you are accurate with and buy enough that you don't have to buy a different lot next year.
So true. All of the best ammunition and handguns mean NOTHING unless the shooter can put the bullets where needed.

#21 ·
The highly respected Massad Ayoob recommends Winchester Ranger T 127 gr +P+ (RA9TA) and Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P (53617). Both are backed by street statistics and have been around for a while. I carry the Gold Dot load in both my G19 and G26. For older technology, the Federal Classic 115 gr +P+ (9BPLE) is well proven as an effective load.

#22 · (Edited)
The top American ammo companies all make good self-defense JHP rounds. The "best" is the one that has a record (if even a sparse one) for reliability in stoppages, expansion and which is the most accurate in your pistol.

I have at least a half-dozen different premium JHP rounds in 9mm and don't worry about carrying any of them, but when warm weather returns I plan on getting back to the range for more stringent accuracy tests. Like so many point out, accuracy is the most critical part in stopping a deadly threat after the primary criterion of absolute gun/ammo reliability has been met.

#23 ·
The highly respected Massad Ayoob recommends Winchester Ranger T 127 gr +P+ (RA9TA) and Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P (53617). Both are backed by street statistics and have been around for a while. I carry the Gold Dot load in both my G19 and G26. For older technology, the Federal Classic 115 gr +P+ (9BPLE) is well proven as an effective load.
I carry the Winchester 115gr +p+ JHP in my G17. I like the 1400 FPS power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.