Best 9mm ammo for SD/HD

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Shiloh228, Jan 9, 2013.

1. I've done a search, but couldn't find a thorough discussion on this. This surprises me, since I would expect that it's not a new question.

So...if I've missed the relevant thread(s), please direct me...thanks.

Question: What is the recommended/preferred 9mm ammo for HD? I would expect a JHP, but I've seen all sorts of products discussed: Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense, Golden Saber, etc. with different loads, velocity, etc.

Is there a compliled list/review of these (and other) products? With comparative data, etc.

BTW, yes indeed, I am a (retired) engineer! :wavey:

Thanks in advance for the good advice!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Best defense ammo for Glock 17 Caliber Corner May 25, 2015
    Best defense ammo for Glock 17 Caliber Corner May 25, 2015
    Best handgun for bad ammo? Rimfire Forum Apr 19, 2015
    Opinion on best (accurate) cheap 9mm ammo General Glocking Jan 15, 2015
    best 22 ammo for suppressor use in pistol??? Rimfire Forum Dec 7, 2014

3. #2 chasbo00, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

My WW+p+ 115gr ammo is doing over 1400 FPS out of my G17.

5. One of the best proven law enforcement rounds is the Speer GD 124+P. Another excellent choice is Fed HST 124+P and 147. I also just tried some Hornady Critical Duty 135+P and Corbon DPX 115+P, stats look good on these two, but too new to be street proven yet.

6. I'm a fan of the Federal HST's.
    "Best" is probably the one you hit the BG with when you need to.

7. I am a fan of the Hornday Critical Duty and Speer Gold Dot.

8. Any of the premium 147 gr. JHPs (Gold Dot, HST, PDX1, Ranger, etc.) oughtta do the job.

9. Thanks to all for the information and advice!!

10. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Are there any MD restrictions on ammo type?

11. I'm a fan of whatever brand-name JHP I can get cheap, or free, as I wouldn't actually expect to discharge my EDC or bedside gun in an SD/HD situation in my lifetime anyway.

12. Sgt.K

Sgt.K They Just Work!

It's the stakes not the odds. Speer 124 +p for me.

13. 147 grain Speer GDHP cycles perfect through my G26 & G17, so that's what I stocked up on. I also like the reduced recoil of the heavier bullet for better follow up shots. Also being subsonic should sound better through my AAC TiRant 9 silencer.

14. True enough. But I'm comfortable with the stakes vs. odds ratio.

The main thing is one's moral and ethical ability to actually pull the trigger at all; the second thing would be to actually hit what you aim at in a high-stress situation. All the fancy ammo in the world can't overcome those obstacles.

15. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

I carry Winchester PDX-1 in all my pistols (9/40/45)... If it's good enough for the Bureau, it's good enough for me.

16. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

I really like the performance of the Federal HST 147 grain and it is my top pick. If that was not available, I would be just fine with Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger T.

Check out some videos from tnoutdoors9 on youtube. He is a member here and posts a lot of ballistic gel ammo videos.

17. If you mean Maryland by "MD"...I don't know of any -- yet...

Our annual legislative session began yesterday, and there is a lot of talk about increased gun/mag bans/restrictions.

I haven't heard anything about ammo...but with these loons you never know. I have hope in that they probably don't know what ammo is, or even how a gun works.

18. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I used to live in MD - Georgetown. 1980-82

19. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

All the premium ammo is trying to make the FBI test, their proof of capability. This means that there is little variety in performance between the premium rounds.

The only difference it probably the bonded vs. non-bonded. If I were in the field expecting to shoot suspects in a car, I think I would want the bonded ammo like GD. As is I bought a supply a long time ago. It is HST2 in 147gr. It is not bonded. I don't plan on upgrading at this time.

The biggest key to stopping someone intent on killing you is to make a good hit. The cartridge, the bullet and the load are secondary.

My suggestion is to find something that runs in your gun and you are accurate with and buy enough that you don't have to buy a different lot next year.

#19 RWBlue, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  20. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

So true. All of the best ammunition and handguns mean NOTHING unless the shooter can put the bullets where needed.