Glock Talk banner

best .45 acp ammo? federal HST or hydra shok?

55K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  cowboy1964 
#1 ·
looking to pick up my first box of sd ammo, looking at the federal hst and hydra shok for my g36, anyone have any opinions for or against either of these ammos?

#2 ·
HST without question.

Why pay the same price for 20 INFERIOR Hydra-Shoks when you can get FIFTY rounds of superior-performing HST?

Check out Winchester Ranger T and Remington Golden Saber - 230gr.
Don't limit yourself to one or two different types of ammo.

ps - Hydra-Shok still sucks

#9 ·
I would say the Speer Gold Dot 230 grain or the Federal HST are top SD rounds. If you plan to work or carry around vehicles, the bonded Speer Gold Dot goes right through a windshield and retains its jacket. I have witnessed this August at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy where I took a two-week LE instructor class for my dept. This was a barrier and gelatin shoot including heavy clothing, auto steel and auto glass.

The Speer/ATK rep also said the Hydra-Shok was a great round in its day but will be discontinued soon. The HST has taken its place. While not bonded, the HST does retain its jacket pretty well in most cases too.

I would have no problem carrying either. I am issued the Gold Dot and am very happy.

#10 ·
Has anyone heard of problems re FTF with HSTs? I saw on another site that people had trouble specially with the XD,among others. I found the P45HST1 and got two boxes of 50. Did not really want +P but can't be picky these days. Problem ,they say,is too wide a hollow point . These would be used in a Glock 21.

#11 ·
i use 230+p HST, and DT 230 Gold dot. I have experimented with the GS, but i like more velocity for some reason. both are very easy on the recoil, and both ran 100% in my G30 before i sold it, and i've never had a single malfunction in over 2k rounds with my G21, 100 were HST 230 and 230+p.

For the record, i have randomly staggered 230 and 230+p HST in a mag and shot them, i cannot tell the difference from recoil or muzzle flip, and the are within .2" of penetration of each other and expand the same, so get whichever is cheaper... it really does not matter.

I would certainly recommend that you personally check them out in your gun before you trust your life to them... at an absolute minimum of 50 rounds.

#15 ·
Of the 2 you listed I would go with the HST. The reason being is that it is a newer design of bullet.

I never had luck with the Hydra-Shoks or the HST though.

If you are open to using different brands of ammunition I would definetly consider Winchester Ranger.

I've got about 8,000 through my 1911 and never had a single failure of any kind. I can't say that about Federal ammunition.

Just be sure that before you carry any ammunition you make sure your weapon likes it as do you.

#17 ·
Nope... Not even close

HST has NOTHING in common with Hydra-Shok [or Black Talons]

HST > Hydra-Shok
One of the experts here cleared it up pretty good in a thread I can not remember the title of.

HST= Hi-Shok Two. It is just a new generation Hi-shok projectile and has nothing to do with the hydrashok line of projectile.

If he was wrong by all means correct me...........

#19 ·
One of the experts here cleared it up pretty good in a thread I can not remember the title of.

HST= Hi-Shok Two. It is just a new generation Hi-shok projectile and has nothing to do with the hydrashok line of projectile.

If he was wrong by all means correct me...........
That is my understanding as well. However, HST is far more that "just" an updated Hi-Shok and that is probably why Federal chose to name it something that didn't tie it so closely to Hi-Shok.

HST does share something with Hydra-Shok however, the guy that designed Hydra-Shok contributed one (or both -- I can't remember) of the two designs which were combined to make the most excellent HST!

#20 ·
I have fired a lot of HST rounds thru Kimbers 3,4 and 5" versions and also Glocks in G21 and G30 as well as XD 4" service and the M&P .45 full size and I have yet to have any feeding issues at all . In fact I think the HST is one of the Most accurate rounds I have fired. It always shoots tight groups and is capable of more than I can muster up. I have noticed though that for some odd reason the P45HST1 (230 gr +P version) is always more readily available than the non +P version, I have both versions and limit my shooting of +P for Qualifications only and duty use as that is what is issued to us. However I would not sqwak one bit if I was Issued the non +P version for Duty use.

#21 ·
That is my understanding as well. However, HST is far more that "just" an updated Hi-Shok and that is probably why Federal chose to name it something that didn't tie it so closely to Hi-Shok.

HST does share something with Hydra-Shok however, the guy that designed Hydra-Shok contributed one (or both -- I can't remember) of the two designs which were combined to make the most excellent HST!
Wow! I am shocked at how many incorrect answers to what HST stands for. I think it is even on the Federal website.

come on guys... HST is an acronym for Hydra-shok Tactical.

#22 ·
Nope... Not even close

HST has NOTHING in common with Hydra-Shok [or Black Talons]

HST > Hydra-Shok
Wow! I am shocked at how many incorrect answers to what HST stands for. I think it is even on the Federal website.

come on guys... HST is an acronym for Hydra-shok Tactical.

#23 ·
I have stuck with and believed in Hydra-Shok all my life, until I discovered DoubleTap. Now I use both. I will not use any other ammo oher than those two.

(Obviously, I shoot cheap ammo at the range. I mean for SD).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.