Glock Talk banner

best .45 acp ammo? federal HST or hydra shok?

55K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  cowboy1964 
#1 ·
looking to pick up my first box of sd ammo, looking at the federal hst and hydra shok for my g36, anyone have any opinions for or against either of these ammos?

#27 ·
Well, I'm way behind the times on ammo, I guess. I can't find "Federal HST" ammo on Federal's website? What is it, and where can I find/read about it?
Since it is technically "Law Enforcement" ammo, you have to scroll to the bottom of the (Federal) web page and click on "law enforcement" and you will go to the LE website and it is listed there.

#29 ·
I have heard that too, but I have not read many specifics. I do believe it has problems, but, can you fill me in on the specific problems with the 200gr GD?

Thanks,
"As has been reported for many years, the Speer Gold Dot .45 ACP 200 gr +P JHP is NOT recommended for duty use. This load has demonstrated numerous failures to expand both in lab testing and in actual officer involved shooting incidents; it also has exhibited numerous failures to feed and function in a variety of .45 ACP pistol types."- Dr. Roberts<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

#33 ·
Yes, seriously. I'd have to say that Dr. Roberts has left a lot to the imagination with that quote. Whose records was he privy to to come to that conclusion. It's about the most powerful ACP load out there. I got a good deal a while back on a case and have taken a few hogs with it, no complaints here. I keep a mag full of this in my truck when I carry ACP because it will penetrate.

#34 ·
Yes, seriously. I'd have to say that Dr. Roberts has left a lot to the imagination with that quote. Whose records was he privy to to come to that conclusion. It's about the most powerful ACP load out there. I got a good deal a while back on a case and have taken a few hogs with it, no complaints here. I keep a mag full of this in my truck when I carry ACP because it will penetrate.
Ok, I thought you did not read what was posted right above your post, not that you wanted additional information. Here is a picture to go along with the words.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/DocGKRData/45_200grGDHP.htm

#35 ·
Thanks for the link. Having done plenty of "hillbilly" backyard testing, I have to say some of those recovered bullets through denim have me shaking my head. Two of six petals expand at 12 and 6 o'clock? Weird to say the least. Anyway, those pics must be old because all of my GD 200 +P's have seven petals, not six as shown in the pictures. The cavity looks deeper on the unexpanded bullet as well.

#36 ·
Thanks for the link. Having done plenty of "hillbilly" backyard testing, I have to say some of those recovered bullets through denim have me shaking my head. Two of six petals expand at 12 and 6 o'clock? Weird to say the least. Anyway, those pics must be old because all of my GD 200 +P's have seven petals, not six as shown in the pictures. The cavity looks deeper on the unexpanded bullet as well.

I have seen 1 or 2 talons deploy before when shooting Ranger T at less than ideal targets.

I am unsure about whether or not there was a successful re-design. I will ask Dr. Roberts what he knows of it.

#38 ·
I have stuck with and believed in Hydra-Shok all my life, until I discovered DoubleTap. Now I use both. I will not use any other ammo oher than those two.

(Obviously, I shoot cheap ammo at the range. I mean for SD).
I used to use it, until my last batch of 230 grain GDHP from DT ran 909 fps and the fmjfp ran 843 fps over the chrony. Heck, Blazer brass ran 833 fps.

Hydra-shoks are the most accurate non-match grade ammo I have fired in several guns, but for SD my choice is HST.

#39 ·
From what I've heard HST and Gold Dot are the two best choices currently. Interesting since the same company makes both. Ironic because HST which is marketed as LE only is actually better for civs and Gold Dot is actually better for LE IMHO. I think this because the GD will stay bonded when it goes through windshields etc (something I would imagine LE needing to do rather than civs) and HST is less prone to over-penetration (better for civs).

HST has better expansion though...

Hydra-Shok is technically outdated since it's being replaced by HST, it's very good but not the best these days.

#41 · (Edited)
My 200+P's have seven petals as well. Those 4-layer denim pics are odd. Of the 5 pics ones shows great expansion and another one shows what appears to be an unfired bullet. Something strange going on there. And I didn't see any date about when that testing was done but as was stated obviously it's the older design with six petals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.