close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

best .45 acp ammo? federal HST or hydra shok?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by xxsjxx1, Jan 11, 2009.

1. xxsjxx1

xxsjxx1
    Expand Collapse

looking to pick up my first box of sd ammo, looking at the federal hst and hydra shok for my g36, anyone have any opinions for or against either of these ammos?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Preußen

Preußen
    Expand Collapse
    Wildey's here

HST without question.

Why pay the same price for 20 INFERIOR Hydra-Shoks when you can get FIFTY rounds of superior-performing HST?

Check out Winchester Ranger T and Remington Golden Saber - 230gr.
    Don't limit yourself to one or two different types of ammo.

ps - Hydra-Shok still sucks

3. HWA GLOCKER

HWA GLOCKER
    Expand Collapse

Their is no best round but HST is my favorite!

4. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

200gr +P Gold Dot

5. kensteele

kensteele
    Expand Collapse

hst is always better than the equivalent hydrashok.

6. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+
    Expand Collapse

Whicheve you have loaded when time comes that you need it, both will work. No handgun round is 100%,period.

7. striker6126

striker6126
    Expand Collapse

I have both in my .45 safe. I do carry the 230gr hst +p.

8. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker
    Expand Collapse

Both the 230 grain HST and the 230 grain Hydra-Shok work good in my Glock 36. For me it would be a toss up.

9. NightFighter

NightFighter
    Expand Collapse

I would say the Speer Gold Dot 230 grain or the Federal HST are top SD rounds. If you plan to work or carry around vehicles, the bonded Speer Gold Dot goes right through a windshield and retains its jacket. I have witnessed this August at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy where I took a two-week LE instructor class for my dept. This was a barrier and gelatin shoot including heavy clothing, auto steel and auto glass.

The Speer/ATK rep also said the Hydra-Shok was a great round in its day but will be discontinued soon. The HST has taken its place. While not bonded, the HST does retain its jacket pretty well in most cases too.

I would have no problem carrying either. I am issued the Gold Dot and am very happy.

10. tc451

tc451
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone heard of problems re FTF with HSTs? I saw on another site that people had trouble specially with the XD,among others. I found the P45HST1 and got two boxes of 50. Did not really want +P but can't be picky these days. Problem ,they say,is too wide a hollow point . These would be used in a Glock 21.

11. AJSully421

AJSully421
    Expand Collapse
    Armed Citizen

i use 230+p HST, and DT 230 Gold dot. I have experimented with the GS, but i like more velocity for some reason. both are very easy on the recoil, and both ran 100% in my G30 before i sold it, and i've never had a single malfunction in over 2k rounds with my G21, 100 were HST 230 and 230+p.

For the record, i have randomly staggered 230 and 230+p HST in a mag and shot them, i cannot tell the difference from recoil or muzzle flip, and the are within .2" of penetration of each other and expand the same, so get whichever is cheaper... it really does not matter.

I would certainly recommend that you personally check them out in your gun before you trust your life to them... at an absolute minimum of 50 rounds.

12. finz50

finz50
    Expand Collapse

HSTs easy

13. Jason607

Jason607
    Expand Collapse

HST all the way! HST stands for Hydra-Shock-Tallon I believe. Haven't had any recoil, low flash, opens up wide!

Here it is sitting next to some other HST's on top of some quarters:

[​IMG]

Penetrated three milkjugs, found in fourth.

Attached Files:

14. Preußen

Preußen
    Expand Collapse
    Wildey's here

Nope... Not even close

HST has NOTHING in common with Hydra-Shok [or Black Talons]

HST > Hydra-Shok

15. SIGShooter

SIGShooter
    Expand Collapse
    Hucklebucks

Of the 2 you listed I would go with the HST. The reason being is that it is a newer design of bullet.

I never had luck with the Hydra-Shoks or the HST though.

If you are open to using different brands of ammunition I would definetly consider Winchester Ranger.

I've got about 8,000 through my 1911 and never had a single failure of any kind. I can't say that about Federal ammunition.

Just be sure that before you carry any ammunition you make sure your weapon likes it as do you.

16. tc451

tc451
    Expand Collapse

Whats the difference between P45HST1 and P45HST2 ??

17. Boris Bush

Boris Bush
    Expand Collapse
    chopnchixnnecks

One of the experts here cleared it up pretty good in a thread I can not remember the title of.

HST= Hi-Shok Two. It is just a new generation Hi-shok projectile and has nothing to do with the hydrashok line of projectile.

If he was wrong by all means correct me...........

18. gary newport

gary newport
    Expand Collapse

HST1 is +p; HST2 is standard-pressure and my first choice in .45 ACP defensive ammo.

19. gary newport

gary newport
    Expand Collapse

That is my understanding as well. However, HST is far more that "just" an updated Hi-Shok and that is probably why Federal chose to name it something that didn't tie it so closely to Hi-Shok.

HST does share something with Hydra-Shok however, the guy that designed Hydra-Shok contributed one (or both -- I can't remember) of the two designs which were combined to make the most excellent HST!

20. Will Miller

Will Miller
    Expand Collapse

I have fired a lot of HST rounds thru Kimbers 3,4 and 5" versions and also Glocks in G21 and G30 as well as XD 4" service and the M&P .45 full size and I have yet to have any feeding issues at all . In fact I think the HST is one of the Most accurate rounds I have fired. It always shoots tight groups and is capable of more than I can muster up. I have noticed though that for some odd reason the P45HST1 (230 gr +P version) is always more readily available than the non +P version, I have both versions and limit my shooting of +P for Qualifications only and duty use as that is what is issued to us. However I would not sqwak one bit if I was Issued the non +P version for Duty use.