Best .40 S&W rounds for self/home defense

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Ryan WA, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Tagged.

My personal opinion is Winchester Ranger T-series 165gr. JHP's at 1,140 fps. Good luck finding them though!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 155 Gold Dots in a 23 for me.

3. I used to use 135gr CorBon @ 1300+ fps but recently switched to my handloads of 155gr Hornady XTP. I can get identical velocities and feel with my practice handloads of 155gr hard cast lead semi wadcutters as the XTP's which allows me to practice a bit cheaper but still be familiar and comfortable with the defensive rounds.

4. I just run Hornaday 180gr JHP's. $16 a box of 20 here.

Dustin

#44 WiCK3D_SiX, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  5. esminbritt

esminbritt Elias

Gold Dots are pretty much as good as it gets. Anything bonded is gonna work very well. Double taps, Buffalo Bore, I think they both use Speer GD bullets. I think someone mentioned the PDX1. I believe that is bonded as well. That's a Hornady load if Memory serves. I think Hornady amke those Zombie Max as well. Don't let the cheesy name fool you. But if you search a bit, you should be able to save some money, especially if you're willing to buy 500 or so.

6. The problem with FMJ is that they over penetrate quite a lot and can easily hit bystanders past your target still with lethal velocity. That's one of the main reasons police use JHPs.

7. That just means more points for over penetration right? Lol

Sent from my dumb phone which may have misspelled some words.

8. The best round is one that goes bang and hits its mark.

Dustin

9. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

You might want to see what CorBon offers in .40

#49 SCmasterblaster, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  10. I like the Critical Duty round in .40. Penetration is sufficient through all barriers in the "FBI protocol" test, and the rubberized tip prevents clogging of the hollow point cavity as well. The expansion isn't HST impressive, but all things considered CD is the better round in my opinion.

11. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T-Series, or Speer Gold Dot.

Any of those three will do nicely. I'm partial to the Federal and Winchester loads, especially the 165 grain weight.

12. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I am partial to Fed and Win ammo, also.