Best .40 S&W rounds for self/home defense

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Ryan WA, Feb 7, 2013.

1. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

For a "cheap" JHP, I like the 180gr Remington UMC JHP you can buy from Walmart. A little dirty, but it's accurate and opens up real nice.

For premium, pretty much anything Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T-Series and PDX, Speer Gold Dot or Remington Golden Sabre. Oh, and the Hornady XTP/TAP FPD lineup is good too.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Self Defense, 155gr Winchester SilverTip Hollowpoints, or 180gr Speer Gold Dot. Pair them with 155gr or 180gr Lawman for practice ammo.

3. I just got a Gen4 27 and I've shot a box of the 180gr Gold Dot with no problems.
    Plan on using for EDC.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39NDONv3MQY"]Speer Gold Dot .40 S&W 180 gr JHP SIM-TEST w/denim - YouTube[/ame]

4. barth

barth six barrels

For Self Defense I like;
    Winchester Ranger T-Series,
    Speer GDHP,
    Federal HST.

Quality practice ammo in the same weight as your self defense ammo is fine.
    Speer Lawman, Winchester White Box and Federal FMJ
    are good examples of target ammo.

I like to run 200 rounds of SD ammo through a gun.
    But my G27 will eat anything and just a box will work in a pinch.

#24 barth, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

I prefer 180g in .40

I would be okay with HST, Gold Dot, Ranger, or PDX1.

6. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

When I carry a .40 I use 180 gr HST.

If you stick with Gold Dot, HST, PDX1, Ranger, Golden Saber, you're going to have an effective carry round.

7. This is interesting, the difference is $12.95 per 50 round box or about almost 26 cents a round between gold dots and lawman in 180 grain.

$26/mo extra for the actual gold dots for practice seems like a good deal to me, but it does make me wonder who here practices with what they carry and who gets the same weight and same manufacturer in just a FMJ for practice?

8. This is what I have. Or any good named round. The g27 eats it all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#28 jonny772, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. I use the HST and GDHP, and wouldn't mind using PDx-1 if they werent available.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. The options are endless as are the opinions. I use Winchester elite bonded rounds in 180 grain in my glock. In the m&p I have Remington personal defense.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. Speer Gold Dot, I use 180s.

12. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

13. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache
    Millennium Member

I use golden sabre but switching to Hornady critical defense

14. Speer Gold Dot 180gr HP. Thinking about going to 165gr though.

Check out the ballistic tests on youtube. I like to see what the ammo going into my gun does.

15. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

If I remember right, CorBon uses a 165gr bullet in .40 S&W.

16. I switch between the old and true Golden Saber reloads, and Speer Gold Dot,, have had great testing with both

17. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I used to carry reloads in my G17.

18. Golden Sabers here:whistling:

19. Is it weird that I'm perfectly fine with plain FMJ for self defense? The way I see it, if I need to fire, I'm emptying my full magazine out of the 27. If i fail to hit anything vital for qhatever reason then im either drunk or its just plain luck.

Then again being just fresh out of the law enforcement academy and shooting for around 10 years, I'm pretty used to firing from the hip on a quick draw. Now for home defense I've got a 12 gauge loaded with 00 Buck next to my bed.

Sent from my dumb phone which may have misspelled some words.