Glock Talk banner

Best 40 cal ammo for the woods.

11K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  mikegun 
#1 ·
I am looking for a round that would work well in my G-23 as a woods round..Lower 48 Oregon coast, Black Bear, Cougar and the 2 legged vermin! I have some 180 grn hard cast bullets that I could reload for this purpose, but prefer commercial ammo for the potential legal issue..

#3 ·
i carry gold dots in my .40 but mostly carry 357 sig in the woods. there is nothing in my area that could take a few of rounds in the head with either including black bear. i bought a sig barrel for my 23 just for the woods and feel real good about it. if i have the .40 i take 180gr. gold dots.

#7 ·
Best .40 caliber ammunition for the woods?

.41 Mag, .44 Mag, ..45 LC, .454, .460...
Any selection of factory fodder will serve you well.

^^^^^ These. And depending on what woods your in and where, that has what in it ! Hand loaded properly the 45LC hog leg will take anything that walks.

CM

#11 · (Edited)
I thought Rabid Bison was the name of a drunk, ill tempered Indian I used to know. As to the commercial load for the G-23, I recommend Double Tap's 200 gr WFN-GC ammo at 1000 fps mv. The hardcast 200 gr wide flat nose gas checked bullet will handle anything on 2 or 4 legs you are likely to encounter. The BHN of the alloy is 21 and the bullets are gas checked so they are safe in Glock barrels. This bullet will plow through any living thing that will stop a fmj-fp.

#12 ·
personally, i think this is a good question. if i were to woods carry i would consider the winchester pdx bonded load. i have read a number of penetration tests and the pdx bullet does very well. being a bonded bullet it will hold toether well and since its also supposed to be an expanding bullet you will benefit from that if it does so. regardless, it will penetrate. its still a bunch more comforting that bells and bear spray.

#13 ·
I thought Rabid Bison was the name of a drunk, ill tempered Indian I used to know. As to the commercial load for the G-23, I recommend Double Tap's 200 gr WFN-GC ammo at 1000 fps mv. The hardcast 200 gr wide flat nose gas checked bullet will handle anything on 2 or 4 legs you are likely to encounter. The BHN of the alloy is 21 and the bullets are gas checked so they are safe in Glock barrels. This bullet will plow through any living thing that will stop a fmj-fp.
A couple of real comedians, you guys. :winkie:

I can see that I am gonna have to watch my step around both you and CM. :whistling:

#14 ·
I ordered the Double Tap 200 grn FMJ. I have a bunch (1500) 180grn hard cast bullets I can load also have a G-20 and carry DT230 hard cast in it. Glock barrel was keyholing this round..Hickok had same issue and like him I dropped in Lone Wolf barrel. I do plan on a 357 Sig conv in the future..G-26 first..

#15 ·
I ordered the Double Tap 200 grn FMJ. I have a bunch (1500) 180grn hard cast bullets I can load also have a G-20 and carry DT230 hard cast in it. Glock barrel was keyholing this round..Hickok had same issue and like him I dropped in Lone Wolf barrel. I do plan on a 357 Sig conv in the future..G-26 first..

Hey bud.

I have always liked the 200gr hard cast in the G20 and even in the OEM barrel they are accurate enough for deer to 100 yds. (for me). That is about the "weight limit" for these freight trains though in the factory barrel. Any heavier and they 'do not' want to stabilze even at fairly short range. To bad actually, it would be nice if they were stable, but your right, they just don't want to. (with out the AM barrel).

Good shooting.

CM

#16 ·

Man, Hoss. I almost spit up on the key board ! :rofl:

You are correct about the 21 BHN and their use in the Glock OEM barrel. I have never had issue with my hand loads using this bhn lead in my stock glock 20.

Thanks for the laugh ! ;)

CM

#18 ·
There is always Glock's no lead bullet rule with their pistols... For that reason I do not routinely run lead bullets through my factory barrel. For my Glock 40 S&W reloads I stick with jacketed bullets and I don't push them at max speed. For full power loads I prefer new, never fired brass so there is no question of case strength in my Gen 2 Glock's chamber.

What is my suggested carry round? Carry what you normally do for self defense. I carry 165 grain Remington Golden Saber rounds in my Glock 23 for everything. Same round when it is either my CCW weapon, a backup pistol while hunting, or just as a sidearm for hiking.

If you think you might do some target shooting while out there and don't want to burn through your high dollar defense rounds, carry a few spare magazines with plinking rounds.

If you feel your self defense round isn't enough for what you might encounter, change to a handgun in .357 or .44 Magnum or carry a suitable rifle.

Edmo

#19 ·
Meanest thing you'll find around Coos Bay would probably be meth heads. Or a black bear with cubs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.