close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best 223/5.56 for putting down injured deer?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by RetailNinja, May 29, 2011.

1. RetailNinja

RetailNinja
    Expand Collapse

The boss swiped our dept. issued shotguns and all I have left is my 45acp and my AR. I've never hunted or shot an animal on purpose other than the 12ga, but I'm told that the 223 is a crap round for putting down injured deer on the side of a roadway.

I'd like something that can do it quickly in as few shots as possible. If there's really nothing out there, I can try the .45.

This came up last night and as I arrived on scene the doe kicked the bucket, saving me the trouble, but my Sgt. had no clear answer.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. finz50

finz50
    Expand Collapse

A .223/5.56 through the lungs or brain is just as deadly as a 30-06, especially at that close of a range....

3. lwt210

lwt210
    Expand Collapse

Lead through the head.

I have dispatched two on duty. 9mm on the first, .38 special the second time.

Both did the job well and put the critters out of their misery. In your situation, I'd opt for the .45 auto for that purpose.

I am assuming you carry a good hollowpoint .45 load.

4. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121
    Expand Collapse
    BOOSH

I've only put one down, with a 9mm. A friend of mine that has dealt with this a lot tells me good things about the 62 grain ballistic tips from Black Hills, or their 77 grain OTM, but like finz50 was saying, at that range, I doubt it'll matter.

5. blueiron

blueiron
    Expand Collapse

6. txleapd

txleapd
    Expand Collapse
    Hook 'Em Up

I hunt with a 270, but I've only used a 12 ga (and/or my K-Bar) to put down a wounded deer at work. We used to be able to check out 22 cal rifles to put down deer, but they pulled those years ago. I had an FTO who used to check out a 22 rifle back in the day, and had no problems putting one down. Any 223/5.56 round shouldn't be an issue.

#6 txleapd, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  7. RetailNinja

RetailNinja
    Expand Collapse

The dept pulled our HPs, having us use them at range days until they were all gone, and replaced it with WWB ball. I still carry two mags of gold dot in my door cards.

8. blueiron

blueiron
    Expand Collapse

You are using ball ammo for duty use???

9. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman
    Expand Collapse

WTF!:wow:

If you guys are using WWB Ball for duty,..... EJECT!!!!

10. MeefZah

MeefZah
    Expand Collapse
    Cover is Code 3

Ummm... I'm not the great white hunter by any means, but I've put down a few deer, and the ones I've shot in the head with a handgun have mostly tried to get up and walk off afterwards, sometimes looking at me like I had annoyed them. Brain stem shots seem most quick / useful, and provide the fewest dirty looks from the deer afterwards. Junction of the neck and back of the head. With a rifle I'd think a heart shot would cause relatively fast exanguination.

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper
    Expand Collapse
    Almost Done

A veterinarian told me to aim from behind ear to the opposite eye and transect the brain.

12. blueiron

blueiron
    Expand Collapse

This.

13. blueiron

blueiron
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately, that is not the case. Deer, elk, etc. can run surprising distances with solid lung and or heart shots with hunting calibers. I had to track my first deer for about a 1/3 of a mile before it finally ran out of adrenaline and blood after a solid lung shot with a 7mm Remington Magnum, using a 150 grain Nosler partition bullet. A cranial shot is the best way to go to put down an injured animal.

14. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. Generally with an injured deer, you're going to have the benefit of shooting at a non-mobile target at close range. The .223 is a perfectly suitable deer killer through either the melon shot method mentioned above, or a well placed heart-lung shot (yes, it will take longer with a heart-lung shot). Most officers in my area (where the deer are practically a vermin they are so overpopulated) use their handgun and can do the job with minimal expension of ammunition.

FWIW, my choice of .223 load is Speer Gold Dot in 64gr. It's bonded, but not as insanely priced as the Federal Tactical Bonded (TBBC).

Ship A'Hoy likes this.
  15. USAFE7

USAFE7
    Expand Collapse
    Retired USAF-SP

If you are shooting an injured deer....a head shot would be the quickest and most humane means of dispatching it. With that said...whatever ammo you have in 5.56 will do that trick.
    A 600 meters head shot with a SS109 will drop a human INSTANTLY, so at close range, a deer is east pickings.

16. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751
    Expand Collapse
    5 or 6 rounds?

Is that how Alabama handles driver license suspensions!!!!:tongueout:

The ammo I use for my M-4 is Hornady 75gr BTHP TAP. It make a fine mess of a head..

#16 Roadkill_751, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  17. lwt210

lwt210
    Expand Collapse

So they are okay withi overpenetration and taking out bystanders?

Is there a reasoning behind this other than cost?

18. VA27

VA27
    Expand Collapse

.223? I use a 22 with whatever ammo I have. Subsonics work as well as HV. Shot placement is the key.

19. Denied

Denied
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I carried a 22 colt woodsman in my bag just for deer and other injured animals, it did the job as long as the shot was in the right place, usually head shots.

20. Unistat

Unistat
    Expand Collapse

Stop. Start a whole 'nother thread on this subject.