Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Best 2-4 day combat handgun class in the US?

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by Kablamo, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Kablamo

Mar 13, 2013
    I'm looking to send myself on a vacation for a 2-4 day combat/defensive pistol training program anywherein the US. What do you folks believe is the best program in terms of training and trigger time? Thanks!
  2. ArizonaPhil

Jul 8, 2011
    Sunny Arizona
    If you are a LEO, I'd recommend Countermeasures Tactical Institute's close quarters handgun. I don't think Doug will teach non-gov people.

Or Viking Tactics, Inc. also has a couple of handgun courses. Kyle is a fantastic instructor.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

3. WT

WT Millennium Member

Jan 12, 1999
    You give no information about yourself.

So .... I would suggest private lessons with one of the big names in the business. Probably run about $3,000 per day plus daily and travel expenses.
  4. glock_collector

Dec 23, 2011
    Louis Awerbuck is my top pick, one of the legends from which we can learn alot . Guys like him are few and far between and wont be around forever.
  5. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

May 30, 1999
    Clermont, FL USA
    Congrats on deciding to upgrade your software. Many/most people just buy more guns, but don't ever get instruction from the pros. Money spent on coaching is ALWAYS a smart move.

Some of the best instructors travel around the US teaching classes at local ranges. They often have 3 day classes that are Friday, Saturday, Sunday, so you only have to take one day off work. If you check around, there may be a great instructor coming to your area soon.

For the price/time off of work to go to Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, or Frontsite (all three are large schools with great reputations) you could maybe afford to take a combat handgun class and a combat carbine class doing it this way.

I would recommend you check the schedules of these three to start: John Farnum, Luis Awerback, and Randy Caine. All three are nationally recognized as first class instructors and have been doing it for MANY years.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. Saberman

Apr 14, 2011
    Travis Haley. Adaptive Handgun One.
  7. Kablamo

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks for the thoughts fellas it gives me something to get going off of! I'm a civilian shooter with a concealed carry permit. I shoot in a bowling pin league and a local defensive handgun league. I hope to start shooting uspsa and some gssf stuff soon as well.

Any additional thoughts are welcome.
  8. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Gabe Suarez. Suarez International.
  9. Truthfully, there's too many to list..... :faint:

We're in a student's market, now. There's so many good instructors/schools to choose from, even for someone like me - who wants instruction closer to home - there's more than plenty to choose from: here in NE-Ohio, not only do we have close to half-dozen well-respected local instructors (and that's not even counting the couple of "household names"), we'll also see Magpul, Costa Ludus, and VSM classes this year for both handgun and carbine.

I would encourage you to not think of anything as "best" - each instructor/school will bring with them their own bend on what techniques has worked best for them. Mastery requires both breadth of knowledge and depth of knowledge...and the way I see it, it's more important for a beginner to sample/experience as much as possible, first, before devoting oneself to a certain discipline: so that you find "what works best for you" as an unique individual.

Join your local/regional shooting and concealed-carry community and learn who in your local area offers good instruction. Get a solid background from these often smaller and more intimate courses or even one-on-one instruction (Vogel and Leatham, for-instance, both offer single or two-day private and semi-private classes that cost no more than would a two or three-day "national household name" training class, classes that you'd be taking with anywhere between 15 to 30 other students) before going to larger and faster-paced courses. Don't shy away from your locals just because they don't have a big operation or are a household name: ask around and check into their backgrounds - some are ridiculously well qualified, and may just be teaching local classes because this is what they love, but they, for whatever reason, didn't desire to make "their career" out of it.

Read "After Action Reports" - "AARs" - on various training-heavy Forum communities such as and the Lightfighter Tactical Forums. Find courses that mesh with your needs and your skill-level.
  10. threefeathers

threefeathers Scouts Out

Oct 23, 2008
    Mas Ayoob's MAG 40. That get him on your side legally if need be. The training is also very terrific.
  11. Depends upon your prerequisites.

Your second serious training class is more important than your first, where you are learning how to learn.

Get the basics down first, followed by the intermediate stuff like belts and holsters and marksmanship and administrative gun handling. You can learn this from any reasonably good class.

When you get to the serious gunfighting class you will be too busy with new material to worry about these fundamentals.

You'll probably want a serious class which emphasizes reactive gunfighting from concealed carry, movement off the X, contact distance and unfavorable positions,wounded shooter and malfunction drills, pointshooting while moving, etc.

You can study your legalities on your own time, why trade range time for lectures?

Everybody can chime in with their favorites, mine are the various instructors from Suarez International, including Gabe Suarez in AZ, Roger Phillips in NV and elsewhere, and Jack Rumbaugh in VA and PA, among others whom I have not yet met. SI has over a dozen instructors nationwide.
    There are so many different intermediate and advanced courses that the ones you probably want (Close Range Gunfighting, Point Shooting Progressions, 0 to 5 foot gunfighting, etc) might not be available when and where you are ready.
    Still, study the course descriptions and see if this is the sort of training you seek. Invest in a few DVDs to prepare, and to help you choose.
    Or spend the coin for private lessons.
  12. dgg9

May 26, 2000
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    I basically agree with this. If you're starting out, there's not much value-add in going for the most uber-tactical instructor out there, when basics matter more.

Some trainers are especially good with beginners, such as John Farnam. Apart from that, any reputable weekend course is fine for a first course. Regional trainers provide excellent bang for the buck.