Best 10mm powder, lowest pressure with highest velocity?

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by 21Glock, Aug 10, 2012.

1. +2.
    Higher vel and lower press.........duh? ......the accuracy thing with BD is intriguing.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Balanced Performance would be the term I'd use...Accuracy, Velocity and Pressure in a ballistic package = Blue Dot.

3. Blue Dot is flash bang magic. And can be found anywhere at a fair price. As of late I've had a lot of fun with Power Pistol under 135gn Nosler.

Blue Dot is to 10mm, What H-110 is to the .357 Mag.

:)

4. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Before I got my 10mm, I used Blue Dot in the 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum also for all of the same reasons!

5. I shy away from blast/flame as I carry on the ranch in the evening and nite. Don't need excessive muzzle blast. Haven't shot a lot of #9 yet.

6. In that case, I'd say AA7 and AA9 are your best choices. Those two powders will cover the full range of 10mm bullet weights, and give top velocities. Both are very low flash, even though they do use more powder per shot. They are also very good choices when running a muzzle brake.

Blue Dot is good, but I've gotten better accuracy in several loads with AA9, especially with cast bullets.

7. Darn, just when I think Im set on ordering a 4 or 8 'pounder of Longshot, I find another powder I need to try. I better go find a pound of AA#9 :supergrin:

Ill definitely be ordering a 5 lb jug of Bluedot.
    That stuff is just too fun, and I always find myself grabbing it for at least a few dozen loads to bring to the range.

8. TDC20

This is what I have found for absolute highest velocities with the 10mm, vs. Blue Dot and A#9. 800-X is king for 180 and 200gr. bullets, if you're not averse to weighing every charge. Otherwise, I defer to Longshot as the best all-around velocity/metering performance powder. I haven't tested against VV powders due to cost, time, desire. But, as mentioned, you will have to go "off book" to get those velocities with 800-X and Longshot, so be careful.

However, both Blue Dot and A#9 are great performing 10mm powders.

I use A#9 for SD loads since it is low flash at excellent 10mm velocities. A#9 will easily exceed the velocity performance envelope for expansion of 180gr. Gold Dots. So it's perfect to load for that application.

I use Blue Dot almost exclusively for my moderate range practice loads. You can't beat it for accuracy and economy.

One more thing to be aware of since no one else has mentioned it, most will recommend using only standard primers with these loads. My limited testing with magnum primers has always shown less pressure signs using standard primers and a few 10th's of a grain more powder than the same velocity achieved with a magnum primer. In some loads, magnum primers can really spike the pressures.

Good luck and be safe!

#28 TDC20, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  9. crap!
    after getting some AA9, I found the small grains of it seep into places it shouldn't in my LEE not-so-perfect-powder-measure, making it bind up.
    anybody else have this problem?

#29 gofastman, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  10. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Bummer!

That is too bad because one of the reasons to get A9 is that it meters so well. I typically use an RCBS Uniflow. It is awesome through that. Less than +/- 1/10 grain variation in throws.

I hope you get it worked out. I am not familiar with the Lee setup so I unfortunately can't give any advice.

11. Yeah, sometimes it does that. Loosen the screw up a tiny bit and it will help. Also, Google "lapping Lee Perfect Powder measure". I haven't done it, but it sounds like a good fix. I just loosen the screw a bit and let it leak a bit. As it wears in you can tighten it up some. It will still throw an accurate charge.

12. gator378

gator378 Gator378

Also workss great in a 12 guage when loading heavy rounds. Went through a few pounds of BD feeding the 12 guage, a good backup to the 10mm

13. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

:cool:
    I loaded it in 12 guage also using Remington, Peters & Federal 2 3/4" hulls with 35.5grains with the Remington RP/SP12 wads and 1 1/4oz of #6 lead for my duck hunting days. The ban on the use of lead put a halt to that, and steel shot didn't do as and effective job. I remember that I used 37.5 grains in the Winchester hulls and 40.0 grains in Fiocchi high brass with the 1 1/4 oz loads...those reached way out there. :wow:

14. Yeah, BD is awesome for 12 gauge, especially slugs. It makes a pretty impressive boom out of that 18" slugster barrel, and works pretty well with those Lyman pellet shaped slugs. 42-45gr, depending on hull and wad, IIRC.

15. gator378

gator378 Gator378

+1 for AA#9. Good velocity, accuracy, no pressure signs

16. gator378

gator378 Gator378

Got rid of my smileys on hot loads by getting rid of the Glock barrel. Happy aftermarket barrel camper.

17. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Yes....Blue Dot has worked well for me also.