Glock Talk banner

BEST 10mm AMMO SOURCE?

23K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  HOV 
#1 ·
Greetings...The 10mm has me interested. It may be my next Glock. Not much in the way of 10mm ammo in the Portland, Oregon metro area (except maybe Keith's, have not been there in a bit) What is the best mail order source for the Tenmil? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Depends on your intended purpose.

Since I don't do any hunting I'll just stick to range use and hypothetical defense use.

Range ammo from Georgia Arms has been great to me. 180gr FMJ is clean and is MUCH cheaper than any other ammo I have found in person. I got 500 rounds for $200, and to buy that from the stores around here would have cost me over $300. I don't know how their availability is now, but when I ordered mine it was at my door in about 4 days. It's not the hottest stuff money can buy, but it's not what I would call weak.

Buffalo Bore makes some seriously fun-to-shoot ammo. Their 180gr HP's are now using Montana Gold which, as I learned here, is more for range use than defense. It's expensive at $1.50 per bullet shipped, but it is loud and it is seriously powerful.

Double Tap is of course the most well-known. They have many different loadings, but they have been subject to a lot of concern lately. There have been cases of loading the wrong bullet weight, the wrong type of bullets, and slower muzzle velocity than advertised.

With that said, I have not personally experienced it and it could just be a couple cases that were blown way out of proportion because this is a section dedicated to talking about that type of thing. I ordered a box of 180gr Bonded Defense with the Gold Dot HP's and they are great! I shot 20 of them to make sure they function well, and I have the last 30 loaded in my mags at home. They are hot, but I would say a small step below the Buffalo Bore.

I am considering a box of the 135gr Noslers from Double Tap for some range fun, but I would say, assuming Double Tap sends you everything as advertised, that they are still your best bet for home defense.

In short, range ammo = Georgia Arms and some Buffalo Bore depending on available funds.

Defense = Double Tap assuming you get exactly what you order.

Hunting = I'll let someone else give the info. on that.

That is my relatively uninformed opinion.

#3 ·
The best source is your own reloading bench.

You can get started with basic reloading equipment for the cost of 2-3 boxes of DT ammo.

Lee hand press kit w/ram prime: $36
Carbide die set: $40
Powder scale: $40
Calipers: $10

If you buy that and a few boxes of Remington UMC 10mm ammo, you'll have some rounds to break in your gun and then some brass to reload once you shoot them.

Now you get some large pistol primers, power, and .40 cal bullets from your local supply store, and you can dream up any 10mm load you want for around $0.30/round.

#4 ·
I ordered a box of 180gr Bonded Defense with the Gold Dot HP's and they are great!
I have tried most of DTs loads but I have yet to try the 180gr BD...you are lucky you got Gold Dots! I was told they would have more 180gr BD next week. We shall see!

DH

And yes, I'm going to start to learn how to reload because 10mm is one heck of an expensive hobby!!

#5 ·
I agree with the posts above: Georgia Arms for the range, DT for the holster.

#6 ·
A 10mm Glock would be a great addition and I highly suggest it.

Ammo? Yep. These guys pretty well covered it as far as the factory stuff. 10mm will make a handloader out of you. It is a way versatile cartridge. So much fun to be had working up different loads for different purposes.

#7 ·
I have tried most of DTs loads but I have yet to try the 180gr BD...you are lucky you got Gold Dots! I was told they would have more 180gr BD next week. We shall see!

DH

And yes, I'm going to start to learn how to reload because 10mm is one heck of an expensive hobby!!
Shoot me a PM when you order so I know they're in stock. I wouldn't mind another box just to have. The hollow point cavity is ridiculous. You'll like looking at them as much as shooting 'em!

#8 ·
Shoot me a PM when you order so I know they're in stock. I wouldn't mind another box just to have. The hollow point cavity is ridiculous. You'll like looking at them as much as shooting 'em!
Will do buddy! I have the 165s and they are sweet...but they don't penetrate as much as the 180s do....so I keep those rounds for inside the house. The 135gr Noslers are sooo much fun to shoot at the range...that's my range ammo until I start reloading. I hope DT starts using higher quality bullets on it's other rounds soon...like they used to.

DH

#9 ·
i have no problem getting remington green box or cci aluminum cased fmj for practice at my local shop....but id recommend DT for "holster" duty if you can assured of getting Noslers or Gold Dots or Golden Sabres.....lately DT has been using a target round called Montana Gold (but not telling you) which is a poor choice for defensive purposes....

Reed's ammo is good from what i hear but they are completely out of 10mm right now.

#10 · (Edited)
Will do buddy! I have the 165s and they are sweet...but they don't penetrate as much as the 180s do....so I keep those rounds for inside the house. The 135gr Noslers are sooo much fun to shoot at the range...that's my range ammo until I start reloading. I hope DT starts using higher quality bullets on it's other rounds soon...like they used to.

DH
Me too, me too. I just shot them an email asking whether the 135gr Noslers are actually loaded with Nosler bullets or if those are receiving the Montana Gold treatment too.

I wonder if this is a problem specific to the 10mm or if it's across their entire lineup?

Not a good sign when you have to email a company asking if their product is what is advertised before ordering...

Also, since we're talking about the 135's, did you see that video of the cow's heart? It was just destroyed. That's a nasty little round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdB8yo085Sw :shocked:

#12 ·
The best source is your own reloading bench.

You can get started with basic reloading equipment for the cost of 2-3 boxes of DT ammo.

Lee hand press kit w/ram prime: $36
Carbide die set: $40
Powder scale: $40
Calipers: $10

If you buy that and a few boxes of Remington UMC 10mm ammo, you'll have some rounds to break in your gun and then some brass to reload once you shoot them.

Now you get some large pistol primers, power, and .40 cal bullets from your local supply store, and you can dream up any 10mm load you want for around $0.30/round.
You have that right. I load my own much less than you can purchase. High quality Hornady, Remington, or Speer JHP withe new starilne brass cost
20.00 for 50 40.00 for 100/ You can get MG JHP ' and your cost drops to about 30.00 per 100.

At the range today I finally faced the realization that DT way overstates their velocities as attested to by others that have posted on this site. Fired DT 20 rounds of 165gr Grain Golden Sabers chronoed thru my G20 with a 4.6 inch Glock barrel @ and average of 1278ft/ sec way under DT posted specs. 20 rounds of DT 165gr Gold Dots only managed 1265ft/sec. . My loads with 165gr montana golds averaged 1294ft/sec with a std dev of 13.25 best DT loads could do 19.37. Pushed some Hornady 155gr XTP @ 1335 ft/sec 614 ft//lbs energy std dev of 11.30. All of my loads more accurate than DT and the Hornadys were spectacular.

#13 ·
Right now GA has the 165 gr. in stock but not the 180. GA is the cheapest range ammo but you have to buy bulk.

Cabelas sells the rem. UMC for like 27 bucks for 50. (if you have a cabelas visa or discover you could get points and get it for free that is what I do)

DT has had alot of complaints lately. I plan to try some 200 gr wfngc Rounds for woods defense but only because I can't reload right now with my living situation.

I'm saving brass and will start reloading ASAP. I suggest you do the same!

#14 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I should have specified self defense rounds, and that I am interested in who tends to have the most reliable amount of stock on hand: Cabelas, Midway, Cheaper/Dirt, etc. Also do not shoot enough to make reloading a worthwhile option, and frankly do not want to take the time - but certainly respect those who go that route. Cheers

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I should have specified self defense rounds, and that I am interested in who tends to have the most reliable amount of stock on hand: Cabelas, Midway, Cheaper/Dirt, etc. Also do not shoot enough to make reloading a worthwhile option, and frankly do not want to take the time - but certainly respect those who go that route. Cheers
I respect that, but just a bit of banter in counterpoint:

Loading up two magazines of brand new self defense rounds takes me about 20-30 minutes if I go from completely unprepared brass to two mags full of finished cartridges.

That's using the most basic equipment as I posted above, and that's also very high quality, perfectly metered and measured rounds. There is zero chance of a double charge or squib load, and I know the round is suited to feed in my gun.

That's faster than it would take to go to the store to buy them (if they were available anywhere locally of course), and waaaaay faster than ordering them online.

Finally, what I described above is actually NOT suited for a high volume shooter, it's for making small batches (a few mags at a time) of very high quality rounds.

#17 ·
^^ Is that directed at me?

If so, my experience with DT hasn't been so great, but it's not because they're moderate loads. Quite the opposite. They're the only factory 10mm rounds I've tried that have showed signs of overpressure from the stock barrel of my G20, and I believe the reason their accuracy suffers so much is because they're loaded to roller coaster thrill levels of power. Seems like they're built more for the experience of pulling the trigger on a hot round than to put a bullet on a place the shooter is aiming for with a good amount of energy.

Of course, others have different experience with them and I acknowledge and respect that, so understand that what I say goes for me and my particular Glock 20 only. (Well, me, my Glock 20, and a bunch of other dudes who have popped up in my "Really bad accuracy with DT" thread with similar experiences.)

#18 ·
no, this.

You have that right. I load my own much less than you can purchase. High quality Hornady, Remington, or Speer JHP withe new starilne brass cost
20.00 for 50 40.00 for 100/ You can get MG JHP ' and your cost drops to about 30.00 per 100.

At the range today I finally faced the realization that DT way overstates their velocities as attested to by others that have posted on this site. Fired DT 20 rounds of 165gr Grain Golden Sabers chronoed thru my G20 with a 4.6 inch Glock barrel @ and average of 1278ft/ sec way under DT posted specs. 20 rounds of DT 165gr Gold Dots only managed 1265ft/sec. . My loads with 165gr montana golds averaged 1294ft/sec with a std dev of 13.25 best DT loads could do 19.37. Pushed some Hornady 155gr XTP @ 1335 ft/sec 614 ft//lbs energy std dev of 11.30. All of my loads more accurate than DT and the Hornadys were spectacular.

#19 ·
^^ Is that directed at me?
no, this.

At the range today I finally faced the realization that DT way overstates their velocities as attested to by others that have posted on this site. Fired DT 20 rounds of 165gr Grain Golden Sabers chronoed thru my G20 with a 4.6 inch Glock barrel @ and average of 1278ft/ sec way under DT posted specs. 20 rounds of DT 165gr Gold Dots only managed 1265ft/sec. . My loads with 165gr montana golds averaged 1294ft/sec with a std dev of 13.25 best DT loads could do 19.37. Pushed some Hornady 155gr XTP @ 1335 ft/sec 614 ft//lbs energy std dev of 11.30. All of my loads more accurate than DT and the Hornadys were spectacular
i dont know how to do the multi quote thing.

#21 · (Edited)
no, this.
Just stating fact not perception. There is a lot of anecdotal information posted here that is based on how powerful the round feels rather than actual results. Data is data, not perception.

Everything was equal in my comparison: Same temp ,Altitude, day , gun, chronograph. The data speaks for itself. I am not the only person on this site that has posted similar results.

I never stated DT was bad ammo just stated that out of my gun DT performance it is no where near what is currently advertised. DT performance on their website has been the same for at least a couple of years for the 10mm loads they sell and I don't challenge the results because for the altitude, temp, and barrel they used that may have been the data that resulted at the time.

If I was buying ammunition for SD I would still prefer DT over others because they are still less expensive and do produce greater energy than other ammunition for SD. They are acceptably accurate at SD ranges. Range ammo is a different story. Cost and availability of ammo led me to loading my own.

HOV stated that they were moderate loads. If you deduce from the data provided is that DT is a mid range load that is the conclusion you have drawn.

#23 ·
As far as DT goes, there is no mistaking the 155 TAC XP.... THAT is a cavity! :wow: :whistling: :shocked:

#24 ·
Did DT ever get back to you with an answer?
Yep. Mr. McNett answered within 24 hours. He said the 135gr are using Nosler bullets, and the only 10mm load they use Montana Gold bullets in are the 180gr controlled expansion.

Assuming that's accurate, your 180gr Bonded Defense rounds will hopefully come with the Gold Dots, but it may not hurt to ask. He should get back to you quickly.

#25 ·
Yep. Mr. McNett answered within 24 hours. He said the 135gr are using Nosler bullets, and the only 10mm load they use Montana Gold bullets in are the 180gr controlled expansion.

Assuming that's accurate, your 180gr Bonded Defense rounds will hopefully come with the Gold Dots, but it may not hurt to ask. He should get back to you quickly.
I sure hope they are Gold Dots, a while back they said they wont have them for a long time. I'm gona call Mike again tomorrow and see what's up with the 180s and I'll let you know. Thanks for letting me know about the 135s. :wavey:

DH

#26 · (Edited)
HOV stated that they were moderate loads. If you deduce from the data provided is that DT is a mid range load that is the conclusion you have drawn.
Nope, I think they're just too hot to be useful for much of anything... in my gun at least.

I think your test reuslts are interesting though. For all that pressure to screw up the brass and lack of accuracy, you still don't get good velocity??!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.