close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Berry's don't shoot berry well in my pistol

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Neuchatel, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Neuchatel

Neuchatel
    Expand Collapse

I bought 1000 rds of 185gr SWC's and I cant get them to function in my 1911. These are the copper plated variety.

My lead 200gr SWC's function well after tuning but we can't get these copper plated rascals to feed.

After I rack the slide and the thing jams, I pull the round and find that the bullet has reset in the case about one sixteenth of an inch.

These bullets are really slippery. Also, they are much shorter than the lead
    SWC's.

Anyone else having this problem?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. MI-IDPA

MI-IDPA
    Expand Collapse

I had the same probelm with these myself. I couldn't get them to chamber or feed in my SA 1911 or my Springfield XD in 45ACP. I ended up giving them to a friend to shoot. It really surprised me that I had the issues with these because Berrys are my all time favorite bullet to shoot in all of my other guns.

3. Neuchatel

Neuchatel
    Expand Collapse

Wow! It's not just lil-o-me then. Guess I'll just have to give them away.

4. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

They won't run in an XD, but w/ a good taper crimp, tweek the OAL, they should feed in most 1911s. The 200grFP is a better bet IMO, works in everything w/ little adjustment. If you want a 185gr choice form Berry's the 185grRNHB works fine too.

#4 fredj338, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  5. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm
    Expand Collapse

Yup, these work fine in all my .45's...1911, XD, and Glocks

6. Neuchatel

Neuchatel
    Expand Collapse

fredj338: Please forgive me as I am a rank beginner at reloading. Please explain, "Tweek the OAL."

7. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD
    Expand Collapse

I load my plated SWC's without flaring the cases. I just touch the case mouth with the expander portion of the expander/flare die to help iron out any dings. Then I hold the bullet on top of the case as it enters the seater die and let the bullet expand the case as it seats. This gives better tension on the bullet. Occasionally a case ding will 'skin' the plating, but bullet set back is eliminated. I do not crimp.

Another thing is some SWC's have a different distance from nose to shoulder, so you have to go by the amount of shoulder sticking out of the case to get good feeding. Try to copy your lead load's amount of shoulder sticking out instead of the overall length.

8. GOA Guy

GOA Guy
    Expand Collapse

"Tweek" as in adjustment. In this case vary the OAL until the cartridge feeds and chambers properly.

I should have also said that OAL means over all length. You may also see COAL or LOA. Cartridge over all length or lenghth over all.

#8 GOA Guy, Apr 29, 2010
  9. Neuchatel

Neuchatel
    Expand Collapse

Yep, we varied the OAL as much as we dared....still wouldn't feed the rascals.

I'm wondering if I buff the base of the bullet with emery cloth that might work. The copper is very slippery.

#9 Neuchatel, Apr 29, 2010
  10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Your sizer is probably not sizing small enough. Size a case, measure the inside of the case. Compare to the size of the bullet.

11. Lothar

Lothar
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

This is good advice. Good luck, and i'll PM you my address if things don't work out! :wavey:

12. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

Had a similar problem. Changed from Colt mags to McCormick mags and the same batch of reloads fed great. Check the feed lip angles.

13. GOA Guy

GOA Guy
    Expand Collapse

Your expander may be too large. It should measure about .447. If it is much larger than that the case won't grip any bullet worth a hoot.

14. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Measure the dia of the bullets. If they are 0.451", some brass cases are slightly thinner & you'll lose neck tension (RP brass comes to mind). Sometimes Berry's will come in slightly undersiazed, they should be 0.452". Yes, that 0.001" can matter.

#14 fredj338, Apr 29, 2010
  15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking the same thing but decided not to post that as it's complicates the issue. BUT, if you use a Dillon Powder measure you have to be aware of the expander. Don't set the flare to deep as that increases the depth of the expander as well. Expander should not be expanding below the point of bullet insertion anyway. But if you flare too much, set your OAL long you can run into that as a issue as well. Especially, if like you say it's big already.

16. G36_Me

G36_Me
    Expand Collapse

Do a google image search on 185 gr SWC and you find pictures of different shapes for the bullet. Some of my guns shoot some of the shapes, others don't. I don't fight it, if a particular bullet doesn't like a particular gun, I move on. (not really, I come to this forum to make sure I'm not doing something stupid, then I move on).

Good luck, and if you want to sell you 185gr, I might buy them. Are they the #130 style (meaning a snub nose) or the longer style? pm me if you want.

#16 G36_Me, Apr 29, 2010
  17. Neuchatel

Neuchatel
    Expand Collapse

I am very grateful for the help guys. I'll give these pink little rascals another go.