close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Berry's Copper plated bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jaybirdjtt, Jan 10, 2010.

1. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt
    Expand Collapse

I picked up a few boxes of this brand today. Copper plated vs. jacketed bullets. Anybody had any experience with these? I put a few boxes back on the shelf figuring that I'd check with the forum first. I intend to shoot these in a G26 and G30.

Cheers!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. BigBull 301

BigBull 301
    Expand Collapse

They work fine. Just remember to load same as lead, not jacketed.

3. thorn137

thorn137
    Expand Collapse
    Walther

I've loaded about 1800 of these in 9mm. They're nice bullets.

As already suggested, used the load data for a lead bullet; you can't push them as hot as a full jacketed bullet.

thorn

4. tjpet

tjpet
    Expand Collapse

I shot 10s of thousands of Berrys before the big lead price increases the past two years. Gave them up after finding a local caster who sells good bullets for 1/3 the cost.

5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123
    Expand Collapse
    Grumpy Old Guy

I have used them in 40 S&W and have had no problems. I do load them to mid load data for jacketed bullets. Good range bullets.

6. Bones507

Bones507
    Expand Collapse

I have had good results with them in 9mm and as everyone else said, load them like lead. I recently got a few boxes of 45,s from them and havent loaded them yet but i think they will be all right. I was shooting Berrys lead rounds for a couple years, before i started casting and they were all right also.

7. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

They work great. Just keep them in the low to mid range velocity-wise. Both the G17 and the G26 shoot very tight groups with Berry's using Bullseye. You also want a fairly light crimp so as not to cut the jacket.

I tend to order the Berry's in 250 count units to get their boxes. Wish their 1000 count packs came as 4 250 count boxes. Those boxes are very handy. Last order I put in, had free shipping if you ordered over $50 worth of projectiles. Not a bad deal. They've always had good shipping times when I've ordered (but I may have been lucky).

First class outfit.

8. sigman69

sigman69
    Expand Collapse

i have shot a bunch of 115gr 9mm in a local action pistol match, they work very well.

9. Bob2223

Bob2223
    Expand Collapse
    Jack's buddy!

We have used Berry's for years in 357, 40 & 45 they always worked great if ya don't push em to hard and like others have said don't over crimp.
    We use to have a reloading store pretty close and they stocked Berry's bullets in bulk.
    We still have 500-800 in each caliber but haven't shot many since I started casting.

Bob

10. squirreld

squirreld
    Expand Collapse

jacketed bullets cost a few dollars more if you prefer jacketed.
    There was some threads on here about Berrys QC a few (5 or 6) months ago when the demand was high.

I've found lots of praise on them, few bad comments.

11. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, guys. I'm loading some up today, lead loads, and we'll see how they work.
    Off the shelf at Cabela's: 9mm/124 grn RN were $20.99. 45/230 grn RN were $35.99 in 250 grn boxes.
    :cool:

12. slowhand23

slowhand23
    Expand Collapse

I've never tried Berry's, as I found jacketed bullets for same price or less.

9mm 124 FMJ shipped price:
    Precision Delta $72/1K
    Zero $81/1K
    Montana Gold $78/1K (must buy a case of 3750 or $99/1K)

Montana Gold & Zero have been prompt in shipping the bullets. Precision Delta is a different story, I've been waiting on 124's since Sept.

13. squirreld

squirreld
    Expand Collapse

14. LoadedTech

LoadedTech
    Expand Collapse

Being new to reloading, and having a stock glock barrel, I chose the plated bullets. I have used Midways HSM 180g RNFP and berrys TCFP 180g. Both shot well, and no leading/fouling in the barrel. To me, they are a great choice at a decent price.

15. hoffy

hoffy
    Expand Collapse

No problems, but have not bought any since the election. Like said above, watch your powder charge. I have shot thousands through Glocks and HKs w/o cleaning with no leading. I believe Speer Gold Dots are plated too, just thicker , like a normal jacket. I would love to have a Corbin outfit to make my own jacketed bullets, almost did it once and decided to buy a 50 BMG rifle instead, I cast and thought about buying some barrels but....

16. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

Don't recall any QC problems with Berry's (and I was buying them pretty heavily 5-6 months ago).

I do seem to remember one persone here having problems with Precision Delta bullets in that time frame (slow delivery, out of round and inconsistent weights).

17. skyugo

skyugo
    Expand Collapse

i love the 124 grain flat nose bullets. :cool:

18. JesseCJC

JesseCJC
    Expand Collapse

they sold off a very large batch of seconds or blemished bullets for really cheap around that time. I think 1 out of every 7/8 had some cosmetic damage at the tips.

19. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

If one buys seconds, it's not reasonable to assume that all the projectiles will be perfect. That's hardly a QC issue, because they were caught and not sold as perfect projectiles.

No foul in my book.

20. norton

norton
    Expand Collapse

I have loaded 500 of them in .45 200 gr HP and just ordered 750 more last night.