Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

beretta combat reliability?

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by dberry, Mar 23, 2006.

1. dberry

Jan 9, 2006
    Did your Beretta M9 ever choke in combat?This is mainly meant for those who have been deployed to places like Iraq,Afghan and Bosnia.
    I hear alot of internet trashtalk and I figure you can shead some light on this sugject.Please share all stories,testimonies and experience of your beretta.:)
  2. IMHO its based on the user.

If you are a lazy soldier who cares more about your living area, the internet, video games, movies, or other non combat things that your weapon might not serve you well from what I saw. This is for all weapons.

I was in a combat arms Unit that did daily patrols. We cleaned our weapons and did basic maint daily. We also used Beretta magazines, and new ammo every month. Once a week we cleaned our mags and ammo (the ammo will need a wipe down as it gets dirty and wares in the magazine if driving around or running alot). We replaced or mag springs with Wolff after about 6 months. We tset fired our weapons from time to time also.

Most non combat arms units I saw did none of that, and never thought they would need to use there weapons. The sad thing is there base security was there self. IMHO most soldiers who had problems with weapons were people who stayed in a base camp and never left, let alone had a real fire fight.

3. Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    We're a combat arms unit (tanks) that was deployed with the Beretta. We were NOT issued Beretta-brand magazines. I never had any problems with the operation of the pistol itself, but the off-brand magazines were another story entirely. They lock up after just a few days with only a minute amount of dust in them. The follower gets stuck, which usually means that only the first one or two rounds will feed before the weapon jams.

We never received new springs, but extra magazines were available.

Waiting a whole month between cleaning pistol magazines = disaster with non-Beretta-brand magazines. It won't work unless you clean them every day, and sometimes not even then. With so many other weapons per person (I had 4 at my disposal), the Beretta was often neglected.
  4. Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    I was responsible for cleaning and loading the main gun.
    I had an M240 machinegun on the loader's hatch, which was my primary weapon.
    I had a spare M240 in the sponson box in case the first malfunctioned.
    I also had an M4, which I kept within easy reach at all times.
    And, I kept plenty of grenades at hand, along with more spare barrels for the M240s, thousands of rounds of ammo, and so on.
    The M9 was pretty much ignored.

Consider also that tanks are one of the most maintenance-intensive items in the U.S. army, so spare time wasn't exactly plentiful. I wiped down the pistol about once a week and detail cleaned it about once a month. Even when freshly cleaned, though, I wouldn't stake my life on it. For close quarters, I'd rather have a knife in my hand. For anything further away, I'd take cover if I didn't have another weapon available.

Highly reliable, even during sandstorms or uncleaned were the M4, M16, SAW, M240, 120mm, and most others. The .50 cal and MK19 required a bit more maintenance, but they weren't hard to keep online either. The Beretta, even when regularly cleaned, could only guarantee 1-2 shots before jamming with the magazines we were issued.
  5. nothing

nothing Advertisement

Feb 24, 2002
    Brandon, MS
    Infantry unit doing daily patrols. Never had any issues with my M9 or M4.

BRAVHART Run n gunner

Dec 9, 2004
    Never choked because I left the POS back at the camp and carried a glock 19. I wouldnt trust my life such a crappy overrated god know why some stupid officer picked this gun M9.

Just my humble option. I was driver.
  7. fxdwngflyr

fxdwngflyr NSDQ 92-03

Nov 20, 2005
    Keep it clean, as clean as you can. It is not a Glock.
  8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I love mine, I clean the gun every two weeks, and the mags whenever I cant thumb a few rounds out with the next one snapping into place with authority. I have three mags I rotate thru wich I'm carrying and leave the others on my armor.

Never had a problem yet.
  9. Never had a problem in Iraq due to strict maintenance regimin. We also used Berretta issued mags (thicker base plate)instead of the Army issued ones and replaced our springs with Wolfe Springs.

....But the M9 failed miserably in Australia '03 pistol and rifle shooting comp. We broke 11 of 13 of our M9s. Most of the faults came from the safety shearing completely off the pistol while shooting in the competition. I'll be glad when we change.
  10. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Was it the right (ambi) side of the safety that came off?
  11. It was both the left and the right side. The pin connecting both sides broke.
  12. 45BOY

Dec 17, 2002
    The only time I have had a seriuos problem was after calling in a medevac and being on the aid & litter team my m9 got completely filled with sand between slide, barrel, and frame. I carry mine in a safariland 6004 which leaves the top open except for the roto piece. I was issued checkmate mags but brought a few factory mags with me. I clean it everyday after we get back in the wire. At least once a week I unload my mags, m9 and m4 to release the tension on the springs along with cleaning them.

I am not a big beretta fan, have 2 92fs back stateside but prefer a glock 17 every day of the week if talking a full size 9mm. I will say that I have qualled expert with it and it does its part if I do mine as far as shooting and maintenance.
  13. RmeAv8tor

Nov 22, 2005
    Actually the majority of the testers were NCOs of all the services.

14. Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    NCOs may have done the testing, but who made the final decision?

It's not a bad pistol, just so long as you use the proper magazine. Whoever decided to give Checkmate the magazine contract should have disciplinary action taken against him.
  15. RmeAv8tor

Nov 22, 2005
    AGREE!!!! :thumbsup:

BRAVHART Run n gunner

Dec 9, 2004
    Theres always a few kiss asses in the bunch. Obiviously hand picked by the officers.

17. USDefender

USDefender Lay Them Waste!

Jul 8, 2005

Good thinking. I would've done the same thing, even if it meant carrying the M9 in the holster & carrying the Glock concealed. (Yes, I've thought about it. I was worried about my brother, a US Marine squad leader doing 'hard time' in Ramadi who was issued the Beretta. He just left the thing 'at home' in favor of more M-16 ammo.)
  18. Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    I wouldn't recommend it. You're probably smarter than this guy, BUT....

We had an officer smuggle an unapproved .45 pistol into Iraq. At the base, he'd carry his M9 in his holster and the 45 in his pocket. Outside the wire, he'd swap them. Well, one time while swapping, he accidentally pulled the trigger on the 45 and blew a big chunk out of his leg. He then threw the pistol into a canal and reported that he was hit with "sniper fire" while inside the turret of his tank.

When he got back to base, he told the medics again that it was sniper fire that hit him before he broke down crying and confessed the truth to the colonel.

He spent a month in the hospital plus he's still doing physical therapy. Plus, he's facing disciplinary action (for bringing an unapproved weapon and then lying about it). Kind of karma actually, since the idiot accidentally shot an Iraqi civilian in the leg with his M4 a few weeks before, as well as other stupid things, like blowing up a random house because of a phantom "rpg" (that nobody else heard, across the street from the FOB).

Edit: Sorry for posting off-topic, but I couldn't resist. You can go back to your regularly-scheduled programming now.
  19. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Feb 25, 2002
    Ditto to what's above.

Brought three OEM mags to supplant the issue Checkmate ones. All choke on dust and this can happen quickly, within 24 hrs (which means it doesn't take much, not that conditions are that bad). OEM not as soon as Checkmate. When hand emptying mags I find the ammo sticks down in the mag and won't feed up. Strangely enough, the gun has never failed to fire on the range. Maybe the firing "forces" shake it around enough to keep it feeding? I don't know but it's not confidence inspiring. I'd much rather have my Glock!!

Haven't fired it in the "heat" of battle. So far my only "hot" shooting has been with my M2! (and I like it that way!)
  20. ronin67

ronin67 Mall Cop Expert

Apr 28, 2006

You got that right. The Army should have spent the extra money for the quality Beretta magazines. I'm a retired MP and I can say the after market magazines are total crap. The M9 itself isn't that bad a pistol, with the right magazine. The 9mm round is another issue all together. Why the U.S. Army decided to switch from 45 ACP to 9mm is beyond me. I still ponder that decision to this day.

Take Care and God Bless,