close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Benelli M2 or M4?? Comments PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by rml, Jan 13, 2010.

1. rml

rml

Dec 7, 2009
    been on the fence lately between an M2 or an M4.... i've read a lot of reviews, but they have all been at least a year ago and based mainly on theories.

to those who have had experience with them, not considering the cost, what would you purchase and why?

2. lawndart98

lawndart98

Sep 16, 2009
    I've owned both, I still have the M4. The M4 has the ARGO system (a piston system under the barrel) and is built for combat. The M2 is a hunting shotgun, turned into a combat shotgun. The only benefit of the M2 is it's lighter.

A new M4 will not feed birdshot very well unless you really lean into it. Again, it wasn't made to shoot that stuff. However, after about 100-150 rounds it will feed 'good' birdshot pretty well.

I'd buy the M4. It also has a better re-sale than the M2.

3. rml

rml

Dec 7, 2009
    i was told that the M4 was more forgiving in terms of loads precisely because of its gas-operated nature....

4. SVTNate

SVTNate Chargers fan

Sep 20, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    This is what I've read about the M4 as well... the M4 gas recoil system is more reliable with lighter loads.

I bought a new M4 last week, but haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet, and unfortunately won't be able to for awhile I think. I was hoping to break it in with a mix of slugs and 00 Buck, then try birdshot.

I can tell you that it's a well built and well finished weapon, and it feels great to hold and point. I can't wait to get the barrel dirty, that's for sure!

5. rml

rml

Dec 7, 2009
    too late, just got one too! hahaha! won't be able to handle it yet though, still at the FA office for processing... let you guys know.

6. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Congrats.

What is an FA office? :dunno:

7. rml

rml

Dec 7, 2009
    i meant firearms licensing office, don't wanna get too technical with the name and all so i just improvised.

8. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Dec 19, 2000
    It is meant to be functioning with lower power self defense loads.
    Not birdshot.
    However it will do fine with birdshot (at least the cheap wally world kind) with a firm grip.

I have had no failures of any kind with mine when using slugs or buckshot.
    That includes cheap Wolf slugs, SB slugs/buckshot or wally world winchester buckshot.

9. rml

rml

Dec 7, 2009
    so what ammo would you recommend i use to train with the M4?

10. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Any that you can afford.

:thumbsup:

11. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Dec 19, 2000
    I would start with the cheap winchester buckshot and slugs you can get in
    value packs (silver) at Walmart. The cheap Sellier and Bellot loads work good
    too. Just way dirty due to the soft lead. Then you could look online for more expensive stuff to see how your gun shoots it . . .

12. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Mar 1, 2001
    Michigan, USA
    I like the M4, but do know that my non-tac M2 has proven itself to be VERY reliable as my all-around bird hunting gun... I do a lot of duck hunting in some very nasty/dirty & cold weather conditions... nothing, aside of war, is harder on a shotgun than duck hunting!

IMO, an M2 Tactical would be a great defense/SHTF shotgun.

I plan on picking up an M2 Tactical sometime... my reason is because I am already VERY familiar with its manual of arms.

13. save your self some money and get a NOVA it will shoot anything that says 12 gauge and a pump is always more reliable

14. KSNAKE

KSNAKE

Oct 17, 2009
    I have a M2 shoots well, never had any problems.

15. Jager1

Jager1 UtilitarianSect Lifetime Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona
    And you will post a range report, correct? :supergrin:

16. rem2429

rem2429

Nov 26, 2004
    Llano, TX
    An M2 with a extended tube is the go to gun for a lot of serious 3 gun shooters. They are known to run well and hold up well.

That said, congrats on the M4. I have never seen anything from Benelli that wasn't a great gun.

17. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    the M4 is nice but it doesn't offer any advantages for alot more money.
    You can't get more reliable than an M2 and they sell for under $1000 if you shop around.

18. hardeyes

hardeyes

Jun 30, 2003
    CALI
    Hello;

I own the Benelli/HK M1, M2, Super Nova, Nova, & will pick up a M4.

All have given superb performance, and the M2 can shoot even the light birdshot rounds with no problems.

All are the tactical models, with LPA GR sights, they do make quality products.

I would go with whatever you feel comfortable with. The only problem I have is that they do recoil, my shoulder is more comfortable with the 308's & 223's, go figure.

hardeyes