close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Benchmade Field Sharpners

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by team9x19, Aug 31, 2010.

1. team9x19

team9x19 the bee's knees

May 29, 2010
    central MO
    anyone use these? i'm not new to sharpening a knife, but for the price and ease of use i was thinking about picking one up. my question is how long do the sharpening blades last on these things?

thanks!

2. I had the smaller one and used it for about a year, then lost it. Worked great the whole time. Actually, it worked so good, I bought the large one a week later. It has been used for almost a year now, still works fine. A couple drags through and you're shaving arm hair.

Just remember, these are for 60deg incl angle.

3. team9x19

team9x19 the bee's knees

May 29, 2010
    central MO
    Awesome to hear, thanks for the help!
    And yes, I plan on using it only for my benchmade blades.

Are you still on your factory sharpening blades?

4. Yes, still using the carbides that came in it. When I first bought it, thought about buying a spare set. Didn't. We'll se how long the factory set last.

5. skippz

skippz

May 29, 2006
    East Kentucky
    What exactly do u mean? I'm dying to razor up my knives but can't find any good kits to help me w/ that. will the BM field only sharpen knives at that angle... if so what should I get to sharpen all my blades?

6. The bm sharpeners are made for their knives and to my knowledge they only use a 60deg included angle (30 + 30). I have used the sharpener on other blades with the same excellent results. BUT!! On my emersons with chisel grinds, I use a gatco triceps per their recommendation.