close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Been doing a little EMP research…

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Aceman, Mar 5, 2014.

1. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

But they all run on petroleum products..

..that require a working grid.

2. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.

3. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    I don’t follow. Your premise seems almost to be, “it could happen, and it’s stupid to prepare for it”..?

This. The way I look at it is, I don’t prep for (fill in the blank) situation or incident; I prep for the effects of (fill in the blank) situation or incident. If the power goes off in winter, it’s often irrelevant whether it’s due to ice storm, emp, or some kind of accident. If we see hyperinflation, it’s pretty much irrelevant whether it’s due to “QE-4”, or offshore market manipulations, or what. If I prep for power outages, the only real question to me, is “for how long a power outage” do I prep..? Once I’ve decided the “how long an outage am I prepping for”, the actual cause of the outage is more often than not just about irrelevant. Put another way, in a given situation/emergency/incident, my family’s needs will often remain constant regardless of what the specific catalyst is.

Prior to the 1880’s, and as you say, in a lot of the world even now, absence of electricity isn’t a problem, because there’s an equal absence of dependence on electricity. A city without electricity long-term in the 1880’s functioned fine because that’s the reality it was built around. A modern-american city without electricity is a whole other story. Besides the obvious things like elevators and water pumps for people in high-rise buildings, there are the side-item things that (while in some ways secondary) can be just as danger-prone. The sudden inability to pump sewage OUT of the city proper, the sudden inability to refrigerate food, the hundred other “sudden inability to (fill in the blank)” things, many of which can be life-threatening even individually. These weren’t issues in the 1800’s, or even today in areas that haven’t spent several generations developing a constant, real-time dependency on the existence of a constant, real-time-delivery power grid.

Absence of electricity isn’t inherently a crisis. The sudden loss of electricity, especially if of unknowable duration, in a situation where people have become massively dependent on electricity is definitely a crisis. That concept is true whether we’re talking about doing without electricity, doing without municipal water service, doing without daily food truck shipments, or any of a whole bunch of other things that probably 90% of our society has no experience with in terms of “doing without”. I can do without grid-supplied power at my house for a whole lot longer, and with a whole lot less danger and invonvenience than New York or Chicago can do without the same thing.
    I don’t see how that makes me the biggest moron in that reality; but that’s just one low-brow redneck’s take on it.

4. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Well stated! :thumbsup:

At one point in time...

..meals were prepared at home. .

..mainly from foodstuffs homegrown & raised.

A root cellar contained items to make it thru the winter.

Fast forward to now...

I know of many who would go hungry without a constant supply of fast food..

..their pantry barren except for empty calorie snacks & refrigerator almost empty.

If an little ice storm is forecast..

..the store shelves are stripped as if it were "End of Days"! :whistling:

If the music ever were to suddenly stop...

..very simply ....

..nowhere near enough chairs to go around! :shocked:

YMMV

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    I'm sorry, even I had to :rofl:

That was pretty dang funny.

6. GWG19

GWG19

Jan 28, 2012
    Huntsville Al
    History is full of improbable actions that couldn't happen but did. Turned the battle. Won the battle.

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    What about prepping for the grid going down via other ways? Are they "morions"?

Some type of large scale grid attack is one of the scarier, and more likely, scenarios. Like a couple of guys with AKs taking out a huge substation?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  8. GAU-8

GAU-8

Mar 8, 2006
    I agree with Aceman to the extent that I think an EMP from nuclear detonation powerful enough to cause widespread long term damage is too remote to even consider. I also have my doubts that any nation including ours could actually accomplish this feat. Yes, large EMPs can be produced but total grid wipe out is theoretical at best and in my opinion highly unlikely. Now as far as preparing for extended power outage well that's something different entirely and remains a very real possibility.

9. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Food for thought....self induced HEMP damage incurred by very robust electrical equipment in the USSR in the early 1960s with only a 300 kt blast....

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  10. Well...

It turns out there IS an "I" in moron..

Oh wait.. It turns out I prep for the grid to fail. I give a rats behind what the CAUSE was.

11. Do you have to go into detail when you "really really seriously" believe something?

12. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

Dec 29, 2006
    Texas
    Nope.

If you "really really seriously" believe something, it must be true.

Just ask your neighborhood schizophrenic.

13. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

I thought it had to be really, really, really seriously? :dunno: :rofl: :supergrin:

14. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Anyone curious what all the fuss about HEMP is about...

..google this... "kazakhstan test 184 pdf" .download and read it.

Then download the pdf in this url & read it...

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...F3T-OA&usg=AFQjCNF3zSt-gFCGEms-8Whq0KtFp_NSyw

If you have read both....& understand the importance. .

..and still wish to disregard. ..

..feel free! :whistling:

I won't call you a "morion"....or even a moron...

..and sincerely hope you never regret the decision!

YMMV

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  15. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Interesting that the older technology was so vulnerable. We often read of people getting older vehicles, etc...expecting they will survive.

16. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    I guarantee someone reading this thread has such a contraption.

17. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

Dec 29, 2006
    Texas
    It's not that they'll survive, although they'll have a better chance. It's that they're able to be repaired.

Ignition modules, points/plugs, and other similar parts are thought to be vulnerable but easily replaced.

18. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Lets say someone here has a $5 sealed metal trash can wrapped in a old rubber door mat..

..inside a grounded $10 metal trash can.

Inside the $5 trash can..

..more free insulation & thousands of dollars worth of spare electronic & conputer equipment.

Is that extra $5 well spent lifetime insurance??

I do not know if you have even the most basic knowledge of electronic theory to base your viewpoint on...

..but my entire civilian career has been involved with advanced electronics in one form or another; as was my military career & my education was Electronics Engineering.
    Automation, Robots/Robotics, PLC, VFD, HMI, SCADA, Microwave Communications, the list goes on & on. Hundreds upon hundreds of courses, classes, seminars, etc.

(BTW....the ever increasing compensation for my talents, knowledge & services funds my preps, hobbies & lifestyle....so I have to be doing something right! :whistling: )

And researching EMP effects (& protection from) has been a minor hobby for years.

It helps to have the educational & vocational background to properly evaluate & assimilate the copious amount of information I have been exposed to over the years.

I would go out on a limb & state my electronics knowledge & experience combined with my rather involved research on EMP Effects soundly trumps whatever neophyte "conundrum" you may have recently experienced! :rofl:

So....all that being said...

..a little hint.

...the extra $5 is well spent! :whistling:

YMMV

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014