close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Been doing a little EMP research…

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Aceman, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

And it is my conclusion that people worried about EMP of any sort know exactly this:

#1 A nuclear blast produces an EMP wave
    #2 An EMP wave can disrupt/overload/destroy electrical circuits
    #3 A Big enough one could be air detonated over the US and shut down the grid

And while all of that is true….I now really really seriously believe that you are a complete and total morion if you prep for these things.

Amazing what a very little research can produce in terms of, um, how shall we say, facts and real information….

(little physics and geopolitical science doesn't hurt either)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Aceman, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. actionshooter10

actionshooter10
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Are you going to elaborate or just try to act like the smartest guy the room...:upeyes:

There are MANY knowledgeable people on this board that can intelligently discuss this topic...

ETA: If you're gonna call someone a moron, you might want to spell it right...lol.

#2 actionshooter10, Mar 5, 2014
  3. TK-421

TK-421
    Expand Collapse

You kind of failed to mention why you believe those things. How did you come to those conclusions? What facts did you look at? Which experts did you talk to? Where did you get your information from? :upeyes:

4. LongGun1

LongGun1
    Expand Collapse
    StraightShooter

Well.....someone looking for sound advice might have a issue taking the advice of a novice noob in electronics theory who claims to have a PhD but cannot spell moron....:tongueout: :rofl: :wavey:

5. Texasteel

Texasteel
    Expand Collapse

you just can't buy stuff like that...:rofl:

6. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I don't care if someone deems an EMP risk too low for prep. Risk is a personal assessment.

For me, it goes beyond nukes detonated at altitude. There are other solar events that can result in a similar effect. Looking at nukes, we have more nations with nukes and or trying to acquire or develop them. Many of these nations are not our friends. They would love to see the end of the USA. How many can pull off such an attack? Not many...today. However it only takes one attack.

Solar events - we've already had many minor events that have disrupted electronics.

EMP is not at the top of my list of preps. Tornado, ice storm, financial collapse, etc are much higher...today. However EMP or complete loss of infrastructure are on the list.

Whether you have it at the top or bottom or not even on your prep list is irrelevant to me. Your choice. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to "assume" that you are wrong or a moron if you disagree with my risk assessment.

7. LongGun1

LongGun1
    Expand Collapse
    StraightShooter

You mean Compton Recoil Electrons, Valence Bondings, things like that?

I can even spell moron correctly... :whistling:

..give you a fine example if need be! :rofl:

Hint....he glanced at the cover of Electronics Theory for Dummies. .

..and he thinks he is now a Jedi Master! :faint:

8. LongGun1

LongGun1
    Expand Collapse
    StraightShooter

You mean like these, um, how shall we say, facts & real information from the Federation of American Scientists! :whistling:

www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL32544.pdf

#8 LongGun1, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  9. 20South

20South
    Expand Collapse

Most preps span disaster types. Pretty sure my cupboard (nor Berkey) are going to know the difference if the power is out for an emp or a weather event (or insert shtf here). Calling people names for being prepared is just counterproductive. So what if it's low probability, it could save someone's bacon during any number of other situations.

10. DJ Niner

DJ Niner
    Expand Collapse

I suppose if I lived in Florida I'd be a bit less concerned with it, too.

But I live in North Dakota, so I understand that any widespread/long-term interruption of electrical power that happened during the winter months could result in the deaths of millions of people across the northern tier of the U.S. within a month or two, simply due to exposure and lack of food delivery (no power, no gas/diesel fuel for trucks). Whether a shutdown was caused by EMP, another type of terrorist-caused cascading failure, or a Carrington-like event, wouldn't matter very much to those affected by it. So I guess I can't afford the luxury of ignoring this remote, but very serious possible problem.

However, I am kind of "Meh" about the threat posed by hurricanes... :supergrin:

#10 DJ Niner, Mar 5, 2014
  11. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

In the middle 1960's my department was making specialized discrete transistor control circuits for missiles for the Military. These circuit boards were each individually tested and certified to be functional during exposure to the equivalent radiation they would receive in a near miss nuke blast.

The key to immunity from failure during intense radiation at this time was to keep the individual stage gain to less than three.

Much later, our fiber optic networking for aircraft had to be able to survive the same extreme radiation levels. Under extreme radiation, glass optical fibers turn dark. The solution is to turn the fiber laser transmitters on and let them bleach the fibers making them functional again. This was also long ago.

Many Military weapons have been designed to work in spite of an EMP.

12. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

I nuked any credibility I had at "morion"

You rarely expect a SHTF moment to com in the form of a missed spellcheck….

13. LongGun1

LongGun1
    Expand Collapse
    StraightShooter

Nah....don't let that one screw-up get you down! :whistling:

I (for one) want you to know you lost any credibility with me looooong before that! :tongueout:

(BTW......the looooong was intentionally misspelled :supergrin: )

"Morion"......simply another nail in the coffin of your credibility! :wavey:

I do want you to know if we ever get an CONUS HEMP...

..I am going to look up into the night sky at the afterglow & name it....

The Morion Nebula....in your honor! :clown:

[​IMG]

FWIW....My spell check came at no extra charge along with my education...

..just like instinctively knowing the "e" is free in com(e)! ;-)

YMMV

#13 LongGun1, Mar 5, 2014
  14. Tom Kanik

Tom Kanik
    Expand Collapse

I didn't want to stir the pot, but I was wondering if someone would point that out!!!:supergrin:

15. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

While I tend to lean toward preppers being morions in general, do they really "prep" with the belief that they will be using electronics and such? I just assume there will be no electrical power. As the whole of human history prior to the 1880's (not to menti0on current life in about half of the world), that's not a big deal. So what?

#15 Bren, Mar 6, 2014
  16. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Some of us have prepped with the use of our own power in mind,LG-1 has a fantastic set-up.We have a highly functional set up,we plan on 12v/24v for our needs.'08.

17. LongGun1

LongGun1
    Expand Collapse
    StraightShooter

Hey.....rule is... :whistling:

If you walk by a pot that needs stirring. . :rofl:

..doesn't matter if you are doing the cooking or not! :supergrin:

Especially...... if it has a big honkin spoon sticking out! :wavey:

18. JabbaNoBother

JabbaNoBother
    Expand Collapse

Pffft, my Faraday cage has a reinforced Faraday cage in it. :p

19. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk
    Expand Collapse

i remember seeing a vid a while ago ( cant find it now ) . us military did emp tests on 22 different us civilian vehicles ( 1980's - 1990's models ) . parked them under a LARGE electro magnet and fired it up. drove some under it and fired it off to. disrupted or shut off most of them. only 2 or 3 ended up having permanent problems. the rest were fine when it was over.

20. LongGun1

LongGun1
    Expand Collapse
    StraightShooter

The infrastructure of the 1880's was based on the technology, capability & needs of that era.

Communities then were basically societal hubs..

...with more localized & widespread low tech food production, storage & transportation. The commonly found family farm was an integral staple to these communities. ..basically self supporting & enough extra to sale, trade or barter with.

To put it bluntly. ..

..our complex highly technological based society is critically dependent on just-in-time delivery, petroleum based fuels, cheap electricity, plentiful foodstuffs, HVAC cooled homes/offices/skyscrapers,..

...large modern cities critically dependent on electric powered elevators, sewage pumps & water pumps, subways/ trolleys/busses, freon based cold food storage for basic human habitation.

Basically. ...a widespread & prolonged CONUS wide, grid based power outage..

..could & most likely would entail mass civil unrest, rioting, looting and a MASSIVE population dieoff...

..a real deal TEOTWAWKI Event.

Considering the amount of food we export worldwide. .

..very likely the ripple effect to those countries dependant on the US would also be severe!

All that being said...

I plan to have electricity after a HEMP..

..because I planned & prepped before a HEMP!
    :whistling:

YMMV

#20 LongGun1, Mar 6, 2014