close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beckley WV debrief and photo thread

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Mrs Glockrunner, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Mrs Glockrunner

Mrs Glockrunner

I'll start this off. Let's hear how the first one for Beckley turned out.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The first ever match at Beckley was wonderful. It is a beautiful, small range with jitney service from the parking area to the shooting area. It is very well hidden in the mountains of West Virginia. Don's show up in a Porsche or Corvette.

It was a real treat to see some old friends and meet some new friends. Eugene Zaiss and his nephew came down from New Jersey. Frank Koo from Rochester, NY is expected. Got to meet 9mmDude and Mike G35--both real nice young men.

The RO's did a stellar job and the ladies preparing the food were wonderful.

Got to see our "Ede" shoot a 1.93 second string at The Plates. WOW!

I got to see so many friends that I cannot remember them all to name.

Bottom line, I shot really lousy but had a great time. I'll be back next year for sure!:wavey:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

3. DannyR

Ah, that shower and shampoo felt good. I left the house at 5am this morning and returned at 5pm. I feel human again.

It was especially nice to meet "Annie Oakley" Young, Sharpshooter for Pistol People, and that nice man from Marshall University that I last saw at Lexington, KY in November of 2003.

Eugene gave me a bear hug that will last a long, long time. Chris Edwards and Erin, of GSSF, were their usual excellence.

Again, I thank every RO for their outstanding performance and hospitality.

If you missed this match, you missed a great one.

4. mike g35

mike g35

I agree Danny the match was great and the range was perfect for the events size. It was extremely nice to meet you all and I hope to see you all again real soon. I just wish I could have shot a little better but I guess for a new guy I didn't do to bad. I did get that nearly all A&B w/ 1 C hit on the Glock M stage with my unlimited gun. Point is I had a blast.:supergrin:

5. SARDG

SARDG

Ede is a cyborg! Admit it!!

6. 9mmdude

9mmdude

Great meeting you Danny! For a first time match it was a grand slam! Thanks WV & GSSF!

7. mike g35

mike g35

No, Ed is just plain good. OK and maybe a cyborg.:rofl:

8. DannyR

As of 1:30pm, 170 entries had passed through registration.:wow:

9. mike g35

mike g35

I live in WV and believe me if the GSSF would give us more matches the number of paticipants would keep going up and up and up. Lots of shooters don't look because this state has been ignored for so long. How many did they expect?

10. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

Any idea of where I can find a schedule for GSSF matches?Also how did you like the Lexington,KY venue?I've been thinking about joining the Bluegrass Sportsmen Club where the GSSF matches are held.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  11. DannyR

See www.gssfonline.com for the schedule of remaining matches in the 2011-2012 season.

Lexington, KY hosts an excellent GSSF match.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  12. mike g35

mike g35

There are nice ranges at Putnam Co. Gun Club and Chief Cornstalk WMA as well. Just in case anyone is ever interested.

13. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Either the timer screwed up or I got real lucky and the stars lined up for one good run. I'm sure lot will say the timer screwed up, and that may be, but I've had a lot of sub 3 second runs with a stock gun. Danny seen it, Dr. Rod may have it on video, Chris Edwards heard it and then said he looked to see who was shooting. Lethal and MikeG35 were there when I shot it. Stock G17 with Heinier rear sight and a plain AmeriGlo front and 115gr. PMC ammo.

as for the match the people that live in BFE refer to where this range is at as BFE. lot of first match mistakes but for me nothing that can't be overcome and improved on for next year. My wife did pretty good for where she's at shooting wise. My shooting sucked for the most part and overall I tihnk this was my worse showing this year. Not making excuses but I'm sore and tired from 2 weeks of home repairs, replaced roof on my garage, and reshingled it plus doing all my upstairs windows. On top of being wore out I'm stressed about getting the upstairs work done while I have a lift rented and getting everything done so I can return to Mobile and to work. I'm already taking an extra week off work that I don't have to take off.

14. mike g35

mike g35

I really want to make it to Lexington but I gotta work so we shall see. Luckily my boss at Gander Mountain is very supportive of me shooting in competitions. And Ed, if that kind of shooting is bad I wish I were as bad a shooter as you. It was a pleasure to watch you shoot. Same goes for everyone else that attended today but that 1.93 string on the plates was insane.

15. ede

ede Bama's Friend

my wife was 193, i think. i figure it ought to be about 250-275 by the end of the day Sunday.

16. mike g35

mike g35

Well I got to thinking about it so I called my boss and I got some good news. I will see you guys in Lexington!!!:supergrin:

17. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

congrats ede on the plate run.

18. mike g35

mike g35

I learned so much today it's hard to put it in type. For shooting a match probably one of the best ideas I saw was people using a orange colored baseplate. Some of them had their whole mag painted orange. That's a great way to quickly distinguish one mag from another. I saw that lone wolf offers the orange base plates I think I am going to order enough for all my 40 cal mags. I guess you can order the whole internet but until you go to a match you really don't know what you are going to need.

19. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

That is what GSSF is all about. Glad that you had a good time at the match.

20. SARDG

SARDG

Don't know about the timer, but so much for the RO manually counting shots when the string sounds like that minigun.