close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bear slug

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpow66m, Aug 29, 2010.

1. mpow66m

mpow66m NRA,GOA,SAF

Sep 9, 2009
    Northeast
    Based on your exp.( i am new to hunting bear)what is a good slug for Blk. Bears.Im chambered up to 3.5''.

2. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Apr 25, 1999
    upper mid-west
    What ever you use for deer will work well on bear. Shoot what you're comfortable with.

3. What type of bear would be my 1st question?

A would stray away from any foster type of slug and a sabot or a stepped bukchammer should be okay for hunting a black bear of moderate size.

4. mpow66m

mpow66m NRA,GOA,SAF

Sep 9, 2009
    Northeast
    ok,thnx.Ihave a smoothbore too.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  5. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Apr 25, 1999
    upper mid-west
    From your last post, I'm not sure if you realize that you shoot rifled slugs through a smooth bore shotgun. The rifling are on the slug itself. The slug imparts the spin - not riflings in the barrel (as in a rifled barrel).

Look around on the internet - maybe search for 'rifled slugs' to get started. Black bear are tough and smart - but they are thinned skinned like a deer. Hit with a 12 ga slug in the proper place they will not move.

6. mpow66m

mpow66m NRA,GOA,SAF

Sep 9, 2009
    Northeast
    paynter2,
    yes i know thnx.i made a mistakei was thinking of saboted slugs,even tho u can shoot them through a smoothbore.fixed.Dont shoot slugs much,only a few times.Tho out here you can use 00/000 for deer hunting.
    what size and weight slug would you suggest.
    doing a search now.

Buckhammer looks good,ill buy a few different brands and try them out.ill be using a 16.5'' barrell,so i figure 25 -35 yrds.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  7. My vote would be for a 20mm cannon. You just can't imagine how much caliber you're going to need to bring down a bear.

[​IMG]

8. Do you really think that .05" is going to matter that much?

12 ga is .73" 20MM Cannon is .78"

OP,

Since you have a smooth bore shotgun I would recommend you look at the Brenneke slugs, they have a reputation as being a deeper penetrating slug then the normal foster type.

9. ditto

A KO, MP or the original brenneke magnum 2 3/4" slug should do wonders on a bear.

10. mpow66m

mpow66m NRA,GOA,SAF

Sep 9, 2009
    Northeast
    Lol,gonna check out Brenneke.The grandaddy of slugs.