close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Beans & Cornbread

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Cali-Glock, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Feb 11, 2002
    California Sierra Mnts
    Beans and cornbread.

Last night my wife made some quick beans.

Beans: Cut up some country cured ham and fried it up in the bottom of a pot and then added a couple cans of pinquito beans.

Cornbread: My wife followed the Hillbilly Housewife’s recipe for her “best cornbread” (using butter instead of margarine and using buttermilk powder).

The beans were WONDERFUL.

The cornbread was perhaps the best cornbread I have ever had.

I ate leftover beans and cornbread for lunch!

2. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    there's folks who put sugar in cornbread, and folks who is in danger of eternal hellfire.

i am not making any comparisons, jes sayin'.. some denominations ain't so forgiving as others..

3. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Jun 18, 2004
    NW MS
    Mitch ~

It's an argument as old as any I know.

Where I'm from, only Yankees put sugar in their cornbread. (:)YACK:)) I saw an episode of Emeril Live once where he pretty much reiterated that...and he added some nice jalapenos in his to kick it up too :)

Putting sugar in there bastardizes IMHO.

4. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Cali-Save me some.I had cornbread and beans 3 nights ago,I do love the simple food/recipes.I ate WAY to much.There's nothin like "Moms" cookin.Now I'm gonna make me some Corned Beef@Cabbage,Sorry SouthernGal,I think that all good Recipes should be Enjoyed.Yankee by birth-SOUTHERN BY CHOICE.Respects All '08.

5. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    sugar in coleslaw, cornbread, or whiskey mash, is an abomination unto the lord and anathaema unto the congregation, no matter if you're a foot warshin' baptist or jes ol' brush arbor suthron baptists.

i am SURE in the unbounded mercy of the lord folks gets a last chance to repent, likely some of em has lived good lives, otherwise. :)

6. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Show Off,You were justa waitin,weren't YA.I enjoy both Southeren/Northeren Food.As I said before.Good FOOD is Good FOOD.'08.

7. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Jun 18, 2004
    NW MS

I cannot for the life of me imagine cornbread dressing with sage, onions, peppers and poultry seasoning in it made with a cornbread base that included sugar. Sage + sugar just doesn't sound all that appetizing.

It's okay Kirgi...we know you're a Yankee even if you try to blend in down here ;)

8. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Sep 18, 2000
    Grumpyville
    You'd get sick of beans and cornbread if you ate it three times a day for a year.

9. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Mar 1, 2002
    RFD South Georgia
    And gassed(dusted) half a SC in one day! ;)

10. My parents were depression era babies! They did eat it for 2 squares 7 days a week and for a lot longer than a year, just different kinds of beans and a little more meat on Sundays.