close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

BCM vs. Spike's Tactical

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Truffle8Shuffle, Apr 26, 2011.

1. After doing a good amount of research for my first AR, I've come to the conclusion that, for the money I have to spend, I can get a quality mid-length rifle from either Spike's or BCM. I'm sure I'll get the usual split decision with this question, but if price were the same, which would you buy and why?

I know some will say "Just save a few more hundred dollars and buy a Colt/DD/etc." but I don't need anything more than what Spike's or BCM has to offer and would rather put that money into ammo/range time/optics/mags.

I've read the negative comments about Spike's but it seems like most of that is behind them and they've stepped up a bit in quality and customer service.

With the prices so close, Spike's is only slightly ahead in my opinion just because they're a Florida-based company.

Thanks! :wavey:

2. thisaway

thisaway Moderator

Jan 11, 2000
    Soddy Daisy, Tenn.
    I would go with BCM, because they perform the MP/HP tests on all their uppers, and I am unsure if Spike's does or not.

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    You also need to consider availability. While I myself have the patience to wait, right now many BCM products are out of stock, especially their mid-length uppers.

While I would go with BCM, the question is how badly do you want one of their mid-length uppers?

4. Broncbuster

Broncbuster Dying Breed

Jan 7, 2009
    Georgia USA
    I have a Spikes Great carbine for the money. BCM are quality as well. I do not think you could go wrong with either.

5. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

Aug 8, 2002
    DFW
    I just ordered a BCM MID-16 Mod 0

They received my order 4/11 I had it in my hands 4/22... I was expecting 8 weeks and got it in about 2 weeks!

6. Jack Black

Jack Black

Dec 19, 2000
    Vegas Baby!
    If price is equal, I'd choose BCM no question (fair disclosure, I chose BCM even though price isn't equal). Of the hundreds or thousands of posts I've read over the years I've heard it argued many times that Spikes is just as good as BCM, but costs less. I've never heard anyone argue that Spikes is better than BCM. In fact, it seems like you put Colt and DD at a higher level than BCM, but most regard them as equal. My understanding is that Spikes used to batch HPT/MPI, but now does so individually. So BCM takes it over Spikes by reputation.

7. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    This really is not even a fair question. Spikes is not on the same playing field with BCM. I can't believe you said you would put spikes ahead of bcm slightly.....

BCM is classified in the same upper tier with colt/DD/LMT/KAC. Spikes is not.

8. IIRC Spike's now tests all their uppers, as well. Like I said in my OP, from everything I've read, Spike's has stepped up to meet the competition.

Luckily, waiting isn't really an issue for me as I'm in no rush. If cost/wait time were equal, why would you go with BCM?

This is my 'problem'.

I know there will be at least some wait time with either company. Luckily I'm not in any rush. What made you pick BCM over all the others?

What made you specifically choose BCM? If what all you've read says that Spike's = BCM but costs less, then why shouldn't I just get a Spike's and save some money?

My Colt/DD comment was more about cost than quality. I have no doubts that a Spike's or BCM would be just as good as a Colt/DD but there's always someone that says Colt/DD are better simply because they cost more.

9. This choice is easy....BCM. And BCM is just as good as Colt, LMT, and DD, and has the track record to prove it. You can't say the same about Spikes at this point.

10. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Indiana
    I'd choose BCM.

Why?

I've never read any trash talking from Paul. Tom on the other hand...:whistling:

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    What Mike said,.......:thumbsup:

12. Jack Black

Jack Black

Dec 19, 2000
    Vegas Baby!
    I didn't say that all I've read is that Spikes = BCM. I said many have argued that. Big difference. Of the two major AR15 boards, ARF.com likes Spikes, but M4Carbine very much still does not. As I said before, BCM takes it over Spikes because of reputation. Spikes did not always individually HPT/MPI test, though I've heard they do now. But because they haven't been doing all the right things for as long, and because there are some dings in their business practices, Spikes doesn't have the reputation of BCM. I've never read a bad thing about BCM anywhere. That said, Spikes may achieve the same reputation over time, and I can see myself buying one in the future.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  13. Randolph da man

Randolph da man

Nov 12, 2006
    Ive never seen a credible source say Spikes is equal to BCM.
    (guys living in their mom's basement and posting on barf.com till 4am in the morning arent credible)

14. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

Aug 8, 2002
    DFW
    Mainly due to all the good reviews they get on here and other sites. I am also not very fond of the rollmarks on the Spikes... a little too comic book for me.

I have a Spikes complete upper on another rifle and they're both good quality. However, the price is very close so you might as well pick the one with the best reputation which is BCM.

15. zibby43

zibby43

Jul 25, 2010
    Quoted for Truth. I'd add Noveske and Larue in there as well for the Top Tier manufacturers.

16. MistoGators

MistoGators 0331 - Guns Up

Jan 29, 2010
    The complete Spike's LE rifles are every bit as equal to BCM. The certs have been posted since last summer now. Don't let facts get in the way of a cool story though...
    BCM has a better reputation and a lot more options. Those are really the only differences.

17. JGguns

JGguns

May 6, 2009
    greenville, sc
    While I chose bcm. My dealer says he has built alot of sbr for very "Reliable" sources and all have gave spikes a thumbs up. He also uses spike for all his personal builds. That was enough for mento go with a spike for my sbr. He isn't some ba sf dude but he shops the crap out of his sbr's and he has no complaints. At the same time he says he has know problem with bcm either.

When it came down to it he basically Sao pick your poison and I went with spikes cause his first hand experience with them. Time will tell if it was the right choice. Also I am 100% satisfied with my bcm middy. It's eats everything and asks for more.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  18. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    Either would be a good choice, but the BCM is the best option imo

19. glock031

glock031

Jun 18, 2010
    I read about three threads this week of problems with BCM rifles malfunctioning due to short buffer springs installed and shipped from Bcm recently.

20. Jack Black

Jack Black

Dec 19, 2000
    Vegas Baby!
    Links?