close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BB guns are deadly weapons?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LSUAdman, Oct 17, 2011.

1. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Just read this local article, and had a little chuckle. Let me preface with I am not trying to belittle what these kids did, just that I think it's funny with what seriousness the AP gives this article.

Boys Arrested In BB Gun Shooting Spree

So when did BB guns become deadly weapons?

I admit, I have never shot a BB or CO2 powered pellet at anything I didnt intend to harm (birds, rabbits, etc), but having had a BB hit me below the eye once...I can't agree that its any more dangerous than a paintball or airsoft round. I had a friend who, while paintballing, was not wearing his eye protection. He took a round to the eye and nearly lost the eye - I would imagine if it had been a BB it would have definately blinded him, but deadly?

What's GT's thoughts on this?

And just to be clear, again, I am glad these kids got what they got. Just curious to see what everyone thinks about BBs being "deadly weapons."

2. Adjuster

Adjuster

3. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

All about shot placement. :supergrin:

5. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

BB guns now days are shooting almost 2000 fps aren't they. Def step up from the old 300 fps.

6. Cheytac

Cheytac

Deadly??? I thought I was going to die when I shot my friend once... :shocked:

He wasn't happy... :rofl:

7. Jameson4all

Jameson4all

I believe by deadly weapon they mean a weapon or object that can cause great bodily harm or death.

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

In the not so recent past there was a local story of a girl that got shot in the temple with a BB gun. She almost died.

9. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

10. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Amen to that.

BB guns must have advanced a hell of a lot since my old Red Ryder BB days. I saw Red Ryder is having some anniversary this year? I want to say 70th? I am very tempted to pick one up and hold it till my boy gets older.

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

My boy grabbed one in Tractor Supply 2 weeks ago and wouldn't let go.

Funny, was it was one of the pink ones. "Dad. Your being a nudge. I want a pink one." He's almost 4. It was hysterical.

I figure I'm 1 Christmas away from a RRBBG.

12. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Is a .22 rimfire considered a deadly weapon?

Some pellet gun get close to and sometimes exceed .22 short and .22LR subsonic velocities.

Some people hunt with pellet guns. Granted its small game.

I know in some towns, discharging a bb or pellet gun is legally look upon as dischargeing a firearm.

13. KungFuNerd

KungFuNerd

My son (7) has a Red Ryder.
    It would stick in your skin at close range.
    Goes through several layers of industrial cardboard box.

Kids that run around shooting things up with a BB Gun will move on to shooting things with 22 and Shotguns later.

14. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

A BB gun isn't as dangerous as a pellet gun. Pellet guns can go over 1300 fps with some type of ammo. In NJ all bb guns and pellet guns are considered firearms, something that the dummies who use them to commit robberies are frequently unaware of.

15. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

I got my first bb gun when I was 6. Dad set up a range in the backyard, with a blanket as a backstop (so that I could recycle the bbs). I started hunting squirrels with Dad when I was 8 (Barney Fife style - one bullet in my pocket, not in the gun). I got a .22 for my 12th Christmas, saved my money and bought a 12 gauge H&R single shot when I was 13, and a .308 Remington 788 when I was 15.

I've never owned a "toy" gun. No capguns or plastic toy guns were allowed in Dad's house. Dad's opinion was that a gun was a gun and a toy was a toy, and there should never be any cause for confusion in my feeble mind. Period. Seems pretty sane to me...

16. ArmaGlock

ArmaGlock Glock Armorer

If someone points a damn BB/Pellet gun in my direction with malicous intent, I will shoot them 10 times out of 10.

1. Most of them look like "real guns" and I'm not going to wait to find out whether or not it's fake, a BB gun, Airsoft, etc.

2. There are plenty of examples of people being killed or seriously injured with a BB gun.

17. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Back in 2006 my snap on dealer lost a child due to a bb gun. His two children were shooting it oiut thier bedroom window at soda cans One thought he would scare the other so he snuck outside. He crept up to the window and juped in front of it yelling. The other brother was just getting ready to shoot. The BB entered the corner of his eye and hit his brain. He spent a week in a coma before dieing.

18. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

I can completely understand that - I picked up an airsoft Smith and Wesson MP 15 the other day. It has the same weight as a MP-15-22, and looks exactly like the MP 15. I dont think there was any orange flashing on the barrel to let you know it was fake. I'm surprised we dont hear more "thugs" getting shot up for pulling an airsoft on a cop or CCer.

19. napp32

napp32

Deadly weapon or not, there's no denying that a BB gun is a "gateway" gun for those people who will eventually end up with other more "evil guns". As innocent as they might seem, eventually BB gun owners will want to upgrade to the more powerful .22 cal. Once that first step is taken, it becomes a downward spiral into a habit that is almost impossible to break. I'm guessing that most owners of the insidious, high powered 9mm firearms innocently started with BB guns. :whistling: :upeyes:

20. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I'd consider a bb gun that uses C02 as deadly. Even a Red Ryder can take an eye out.

[​IMG]