close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

BB bird shot for home defense???

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by itstime, May 16, 2010.

1. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    What is your opinion on BB size shot for home defense? Just asking cause I have some and loaded it up.

Any pro/cons to it compared to OO buckshot? Thanks.

2. F_G

F_G

Jan 11, 2010
    Crown King, AZ
    Pro - Not as much mass, therefore not as much penetration

Cons - Not as much mass, therefore not as much penetration

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220524

Anything smaller than 00 buck at approximately the same velocity will not have the ability to penetrate such things as clothing, drapes, bone, sinew, muscle and therefore will not reliably reach vital areas with enough energy to stop an aggressor's agressiveness.

3. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    At close range even BB shot is still very fatal. I still wouldnt consciously decide to use it for self defense though. As a last ditch option? Sure. Its better than using a knife or a baseball bat I guess?

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. Artiz

Artiz

Apr 26, 2010
    Canada
    Remember that your average home invader isn't naked, he's wearing clothes, birdshot won't make much damage, just give him a very good reason to end your days in a hurry.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  5. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I am not advocating using birdshot for home defense at all. But if SHTF and thats all you had for some strange reason??? Birdshot will do some severe damage to the head and neck region (at close range of course).

Here is what birdshot does to 2 layers of drywall which is thicker than your average t-shirt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQngI_r2hQc&playnext_from=TL&videos=GrHa4-q9wyc

Again DO NOT USE BIRD SHOT for self defense! But also dont think just wearing clothing is gonna save your life if you are on the receiving end of birdshot "at close range".

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    I just wonder if anyone has done any research personally, or just repeating hearsay.

I'm bad about repeating hearsay, but I try to keep it on the topic of attractive women.

Shotguns are even more dangerous, sometimes.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Scroll down about 4-5 examples and you'll be at 2 3/4" Remington lead BB shot..

And under 10 yards, summer.. it ain't hardly birdshot at all, insofar as survivability is concerned. Borderline, yes.. but don't you WANT borderline compared to OOO ? Or isn't that the point?

2 3/4" vs 3" matters. Muzzle velocity matters. Distance matters. Choke on the shotgun matters. Lead vs Steel BB's (vs HeviShot tungsten) matters.

Granpa's 70 year old riot gun, cylinder bore, 2 3/4" standard velocity, 1 oz lead BB shot, is lethal @ 7 yards with a frontal torso (COM) direct hit, on an unarmored adult male.

sez me. yer welcome to prove otherwise, I like learning new things.

and fwiw I recommend #4 buckshot indoors & #1 Buckshot for general rural yard work, keep 1 oz slugs in mine and don't task it for HD. Vehicle penetration is what it's for, and the one chance in thousands I'd need it for that.

But if you think a dose of BB's point blank isn't lethal in a 12 gauge, you're misled.

7. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    If all you have on hand is BB, it should work. I cannot understand why people always want to reinvent the wheel concerning shotgun ammo though, considering 00 buck is probably easier to find than the larger birdshot sizes.

8. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Agreed, 00-buck and a pump shotgun are both available in every state and in probably every WalMart or hunting store? Its 50 year old technology that works. There really is no need to reinvent the wheel.

As they say...learn to run what ya brung.

9. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    #4 to 00 buck. Preferably, 00. Low recoil or regular.

That is the consensus - meaning most people will agree that it is effective. Not too much, not too little.

You'll find some wing nut that will believe anything can work, or has one off the wall freak of nature example where something odd did work. No birdshot first shot, 3" slugs, alternating rounds, ball plus buck, Rhodesian, flechette, or any of that crap.

For HD - play the odds. Go with what works. Without question.

#4 to 00 buck. Preferably, 00. Low recoil or regular.

10. cj5mrt

cj5mrt

Dec 26, 2005
    Central FL
    "I just wonder if anyone has done any research personally, or just repeating hearsay."

Go to theboxotruth.com

LOTS of info there.

Mike

11. F_G

F_G

Jan 11, 2010
    Crown King, AZ
    There is a lot of empirical data on shootings involving 00 and slug as this is what the majority of law enforcement agencies use. Kind of difficult for me to perfrom my own research as I have a hard time finding people allowing me to shoot them.

Most of my conclusions are derived from this data and the application of simple physics. It's cool to watch some guy shoot through drywall and see how far it goes, but I fail to see how that equates to the ability of the round to stop an aggressor. Might however help you decide what to deploy if penetrating or not penetrating through walls is your objective.

To the OP, if BB is all you have it is far better than nothing, but if I am standing at the ammo counter trying to decide what to buy, it would not be my first choice, or second, or third................

12. MTPD

MTPD

Nov 9, 2005
    TEXAS
    I'm living part of the year in an RV park and wanted to switch to birdshot so as not to penetrate any other RV's if the BG's show up. But.........I couldn't find any BB shot shells on the shelves, which is what I wanted. #4 lead was the biggest in lead, and #3 in steel. I consider both to be too ineffective on BG's, so got a box of 4 Buck as a compromise.

However, I'd think lead BB's would do fine on BG's out to 10 yards or so (i.e., inside of your home). But I'd only use them if there was a concern about over-penetration.

At my country home, where there aren't any close neighbors, I use OO & OOO Buck.

I've actually tested a goodly number of buckshot shells, different brands, different sizes, etc. The results, for best penetration and tightest paterns they rank as follows: 000, 00, 0, 4. I assume birdshot will do the same = biggest lead shot with give best penetration and tightest paterns. Steel shot will penetrate less than the same size lead.

13. dc2integra

dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    birdshot is a no no if someones invades your home your better off using buck slug buck slug etc u dont want someone sueing u for u hurting them when they invade your home

14. [​IMG]

15. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    As with all ammo - anything with any kind of effective BG stopping power, will over penetrate. You have to make your choice: definite stopping and possible over penetration, or possible stopping and unlikely overpenetration.

Not that last example - you can still over penterate AND not stop the BG!

16. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    0 buck or 000 buck is better than 00 buck:upeyes:

00 buck just has better marketing - don't believe the hype - get 0 or 000 buck -

:tongueout:

All joking aside - this is real

You want 12 .32 diameter lead balls - 0 buck

or 9 .33 diameter lead balls 00 buck

or 8 .36 diameter lead balls

I use 0 buck

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  17. Yes, what he said. Go with what works most of the time in most of the situations instead of what works every now and then in some of the situations.

18. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    At Academy Sports, Remington has a Home Defense display set up with BB shot on the shotgun side.

19. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH

Great, at what, $25 per 10 rd box? S&B 00 can be had for a quarter of that.

Great marketing ploy though.