close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bayou Bullets in a Glock Barrel?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by __jb, Nov 13, 2013.

1. __jb

__jb

Aug 8, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    The Florida GSSF matches are coming up and I'm wondering how my moly-coated Bayou Bullets will shoot in a stock Glock 17 with polygonal rifling. Donnie says they shoot fine with no worries, but I figure you guys here in the GSSF forum are the Glock experts and would know for sure.

I normally shoot them in my USPSA Glock 34 with a KKM barrel... just wonder if I can get away with shooting a couple of hundred in a standard Glock. I clean the barrel every time I shoot. Anything special to look for?

Thanks,
    John

2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Sunny Fla
    I was at the St. Augustine GSSF match this past weekend RO'ing. I saw many quick shooters using them. I'm sure that's not what made them very good, but that's what they were shooting.

WP

3. Justin1911

Justin1911

Feb 5, 2006
    Northeast GA
    Every bullet/powder combo is a different case. I use solo 1000 with BBI 147 bullets without issues. But had significant leading with precision moly bullets loaded to the same specs in 9mm but their 45 stuff was fine. It's worth a look. Just field strip and look at the barrel every 5-10 rds at first until you get over 100-200 and see is what I have done in the past. Also when my barrels would lead I would get poor accuracy and key hole at 20 yards or so.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    Interesting. I've got some Precision 147gr I need to do more testing with...but have also recently acquired some Bayou.

For the OP, a correction...AFAIK, the coating Bayou uses is not moly.

Also of note, BBI has apparently just switched from their moly coating to the same coating used by Bayou.

5. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Sunny Fla
  6. Sixstone

Sixstone

Mar 5, 2009
    I have put a couple thousand 180 gr Bayous down my G35 barrel without any issues. I usually clean after each time.

7. __jb

__jb

Aug 8, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    My bad on calling it "Moly." Should have called it a coating...

That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks for the feedback...

8. __jb

__jb

Aug 8, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Thanks... I knew the coating Donnie uses was from Australia, but had no idea that it was the same Hi-Tech coating you mentioned and showed in the link...

Good to know other shooters are shooting Bayous in Glock barrels without issues...

9. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

Aug 29, 2005
    North Georgia
    My daughter and I have shot thousands of Bayou Bullets out of the factory Glock barrels with no problems.

Just clean your gun and barrel as normal, you should not have any problems.

10. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    With what powders? In 9mm, I like to use Universal for jacketed, and WST for lead/moly. I find the smoke from WST/moly less offensive than the smoke from Universal/moly. I'm guessing the Bayou bullets won't really contribute to the smoke at all unless you use a really hot/fast powder and start burning the coating.

11. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

Aug 29, 2005
    North Georgia
    Solo 1000

12. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    I don't have any Solo. I just loaded a few with 3.46gr WST and a few with 3.2gr Universal Clays, all at 1.135". Hopefully I can get out soon and test them.

13. mr glock-fl

mr glock-fl

Mar 14, 2002
    orlando,fl
    Hi,
    Pat Elmore and I have used them for almost a year, Pat has used Tite group on his 9mm and his 45GAP.
    My loader uses Tite group on 9mm and Universal clays on my 45 ACP.
    Pat and I have had no problems with the bullets or any build up in our barrels. Their are other MatchMeisters that use Bayou's of different weights at lest 5 or more I have seen.

Both of us are sold on the Bayou Bullets-you will use a little less powder for the same load you use with plated or jacketed bullets(.3 to .4 less on average). If you order some tell Donnie Hi, He's a great guy.

Good Luck
    Mike:wavey: