close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bayonet on a shotty?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by powderhead, Sep 5, 2011.

1. powderhead

powderhead

Jun 21, 2010
    I have a Mossberg 500 with the bayo lug and heat shield. I don't know much about the gun as I bought it used. On a whim I bought an M16 bayonet for it, after all it had the lug for it. The problem is that the bayonet doesn't fit properly. It won't lock in place. I can see what the problem is. The bayonet bottoms out on the lug before it goes in far enough to lock. A simple fix would be to file or grind the lug so that the bayo. would go in far enough to lock. Or I could Dremil on the bayonet.

I have the shotgun for home defense and coyotes. Is a bayonet a good choice for a home defense shotty? Should I modify the gun, or the bayonet? I might add that the bayonet fits real well on my RIA AR 15. Your input is appreciated.

2. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    Modify the bayo, the cheapest part. But give the lugs a GOOD inspection as well, side by side.

I love my 590- it takes the bayonet as well. A light will be more valuable, but there are also other variables to consider.

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    For anything other than range toy time (or shoving the bayonet in the dirt to hold up your shotgun), the bayonet is useless in a home environment. Assuming you have a Mossberg 590, youre essentially adding 6-8" to the end of your 20" barrel, making it drastically harder to maneuver inside a home.

I have both an original M7 bayonet, and an M9 clone, and only have them for personal entertainment - I would never attempt to use either on my 590 for social purposes.

4. powderhead

powderhead

Jun 21, 2010
    Very sorry! I did say 500 when I meant 590.

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Bayonets on shotguns are pure intimidation weapons for crowd control.

Assuming you even know HOW to fight with a bayoneted weapon, if they're that close you're in serious trouble. A pointy end on the gun at that range is nice, but a solid muzzle strike with the plain barrel will accomplish much the same thing.

Getting a muzzle rammed into your chest is not a pleasant experience, having delivered a couple to some noncompliant personnel.

6. STI

STI

Mar 4, 2003
    Cash,Texas
    Really dont understand the use of the bayonet?
    It should just slip on and lock. Please post when you use it.

7. Someplace in this forum is a rather lengthy thread on how silly it is to put a bayonet on a shotgun for HD. I don't think anything has changed since then, it is still a rather silly idea.

8. 1gewehr

1gewehr

Mar 22, 2006
    Mid TN
  9. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010
  10. pkdmslf

pkdmslf

Mar 1, 2009
    Aridzona
    You have a shotgun... you shouldn't have to use a bayonet. If someone has to use a bayonet on a shotgun, well, they need to find another SD weapon. I'm just sayin'.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  11. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Mossberg 590s are made to accept the M7, M9 and M10 bayonets (all which fit on an M16) assuming the mount was made correctly.

i've seen both an M7 and M9 mounted on a Mossberg before, so I know they should work.

12. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Yep, I have mounted both the M7 and M9 on my Mossberg, and they fit just fine. It's still an utterly ridiculous idea for HD use.

13. Glock940

Glock940

Apr 10, 2009
    CT
    I'm sure it will give the intruder / criminal / home invader a second thought as to whether or not to go for the shot gun and try and disarm you though lol

14. peterj

peterj

Jan 4, 2010
    Are you going to stab them before or after blowing a hole through them?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  15. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    120 to 200 lumens of light in the eyes, followed by a thump to the chest from the muzzle, or toe of the stock, can handle that as easily as a bayonet. Neither one of those adds 6-8" of length to an already long gun.

Hey, if they get stuck on the bayonet, shooting them is supposed to be a good way to dislodge them! :rofl:

16. Booker

Booker

May 10, 2006
    Prison
    I use the bayonet on my 590. It is a major part of my HD tatical plan.

First, I'll run them through with the bayonet, then I'll fire the shotgun to get them off of the bayonet.

I also use the bayonet when rabbit hunting. I still have nightmares from watching the Holy Grail!

17. Glock940

Glock940

Apr 10, 2009
    CT

I'm not blowing anyone :tongueout: Shoot them in the leg, then stab them, then shoot them again...then cut off their arms and fingers off and put them on the grill for dinner :rofl:

18. Glock940

Glock940

Apr 10, 2009
    CT

I hear ya....Who says they will come during the night, if the come during dinner that's great :rofl: (reference to my last post lol). 6 to 8 inches further away from them is ok no one is not hunting them. I guess it depends on the house, land, and situation. Either way with one or without one they will not leave on their own lol.

19. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    You don't keep a few Holy Hand Grenades in the house? :dunno:

20. k594

k594

Dec 16, 2006
    Northern Arizona
    if you close enough to stab someone and your going to use deadly force anyway just shoot the sorry bastard