close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Battle sword

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by ATL_GLOCK, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ATL_GLOCK

ATL_GLOCK

Aug 4, 2010
    Atlanta
    So my co-worker and I were talking about swords the other day...he was asking me what do I do when the bullets run out? I said that's a fine question...which is why I try and make sure I have atleast 1000rnds of each caliber I own...which I know is conservative by many others standards, but it's all I can do for now.

Anyways just to humor this argument, what would be considered a good battle blade? I'm inclined to say a samurai sword for obvious reasons, but was wondering if there were things out there that would be considered battle blades that were more functional than fantasy!

We talked about a post Katrina type senario, and also Book of Eli came up as well.

2. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    The problem isn't so much the type of blade, but rather, the durability and construction of whatever you decide upon.
    I've come to like Cold Steel products, in my experience they've always been a good value for the money. I own three CS swords, and a lot of their knives, machetes, fixed and folding knives, tomahawks, etc. Very solidly made, very sharp.
    The only time I've seen any of their swords damaged or broken has been on videos of morons abusing them past the point of stupidity.
    If you're looking for simple/affordable, look at their katana machete, the kukri machetes (I own one for clearing brush, great tool) or the upcoming gladius machete (I have one on order).
    Alot of people first go to the katana because of the media hype surrounding the sword. Don't misunderstand, I own two and was lucky enough to take a bit of kendo when I was in Korea (weird, I know, given the feelings between the two). The katana is a great sword and very capable in the right hands, but don't dismiss western blades out of hand. Contrary to what most (think) they know, the west has a long history of martial arts. Unlike the Greeks who (for many years) simply thought athletic ability was enough on its own to produce warriors, with no thought given to the study of swordsmanship, there are manuals describing training techniques and tactics. Digrassi's "True Art of Defense" 1594 and the writings of Flavius Vegetius Renatus (430-435) are two of my favorites.
    The hand and a half sword and the gladius (Pompeii) are two of my favorite designs.
    Take a look at them, and the authors I mentioned if you get a chance.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

3. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Sep 8, 2002
    dixie
    just because you are out of ammo doesnt mean i wont shoot YOU well before you get into cutting range.:tongueout::tongueout:

4. ATL_GLOCK

ATL_GLOCK

Aug 4, 2010
    Atlanta

haha touché

5. Luminary

Luminary

Oct 26, 2009
    I've heard about this but this was the first time I've seen it. What a bunch of idiots. :shocked:

OP: I would say you're better off with a big knife than a sword. A sword usually requires 2 hands to use effectively. I believe you would be better off with a machete of a big knife like the ESEE Junglas or a Fallkniven Thor (my dream knife).

6. ATL_GLOCK

ATL_GLOCK

Aug 4, 2010
    Atlanta
    without side tracking this thread too much...I do love tosh.0 and died laughing at this video when it first aired..

But to the point stated above..these swords do specifically say they are not rated to cut wood......I think a one handed application would be good!

7. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    While I completely agree that in a modern context a knife is far handier, more utilitarian and easier to carry, there are many examples of effective one handed swords, for example:
    Hand and a half (used with one or two hands)
    Rome's Gladius
    Viking broadswords
    rapiers
    smallswords
    The turkish yataghan
    the wakazashi
    the greek xiphos
    12th century crusader swords

8. firemedic1343

firemedic1343 Not an Expert!

Feb 6, 2007
    San Diego, California
    If I was living in a Highlander movie, I'd get a Gladius.

9. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

Jul 30, 2009
    Sh
    Hahahhaaha. :rofl: Your friend is funny. Run out of "bullets". lol That's a knee slapper. :supergrin: Why I've got enough ammunition to last me 10 lifetimes.:wavey:
    Wait.... He was serious? :shocked:

10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Sorry, but an infantry spear is a far more effective weapon that is not only easier to learn to use but also provides far more standoff than a sword. There is a reason pre-gunpowder armies equipped their infantry with a spear as a primary weapon. The sword was the last ditch fall-back plan much like a pistol is today.

A proper figthing spear is much more intuitive, requires a LOT less training and skill than a sword. Pick up one of the Cold Steel modern interpretations of the European Boar Spear, or one of the African Asagai spears and you will immediately understand how dangerous and powerful a spear is compared to a sword.

A man with a sword has little chance against a man with a proper spear!

11. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    One of the few fights that Miyamoto Mushashi (by accounts, one of the most accomplished swordsman) lost was to a man with a staff. A spear is (IMO) easier to learn; another benefit is that it requires less metal and less skill to make than a sword. I have a poleaxe and a spear in my collection, they easily outreach a sword blade.
    The advantage of the sword was as stated above, "last ditch", in close quarters. In the tight press of battle, a polearm in many cases would be too long and unwieldy. The long wooden handles could also become entrapped in a shield, or broken at the onset of an engagement.
    The only thing I disagree with is your last sentence: don't disgard the hand protection and longer blade a sword can provide.
    The spear is a highly effective weapon, but so is the sword.

12. ATL_GLOCK

ATL_GLOCK

Aug 4, 2010
    Atlanta
  13. Luminary

Luminary

Oct 26, 2009
    Agreed. I was actually debating on getting a wakazashi a while back. My dream sword is the Busse Gladius.

14. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    Just looked up the Busse Gladius; that is an impressive looking blade. At 600 it looks like it may be a bit of a collector piece, though.
    For a gladius, I went non-traditonal and bought the CS gladius machete. At under 50, I figured it would give me a chance to see how I like the length and basic design of the type without paying much for it.
    If you're looking towards the wakazashi, I suggest the CS Chisa Katana, or their warrior series.

15. firemedic1343

firemedic1343 Not an Expert!

Feb 6, 2007
    San Diego, California
    That CS Gladius Machete is nice. I think I might order one for camping.

16. ATL_GLOCK

ATL_GLOCK

Aug 4, 2010
    Atlanta
    wow yeah $600+ for a sword is a lot! I think I'm going to try out a cold steel blade to begin with.

17. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    Why the fixation on a sword? Ever thought about a baseball bat? Simple to use, can be extraordinarily dangerous, and --- "It's just a baseball bat, officer!".

Otherwise, I would lean toward a machete. You can actually use it as a tool when not fighting off hordes. Speaking of which, ever walked into a gardening shed? The walls are dripping with weapons, if you think about it!

18. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

Jul 30, 2009
    Sh

Lets just say that $600.00 buys you 3000 rounds of .556. How long would that last someone? Realistically. In a situation where he would "need" it. And keep in mind, probably no more leisurely target practice any more as he "needs" it now. So I can have one sword, or 3000 rounds of ammo... :whistling: