close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Battle Rifles. M1A vs PTR91 vs FAL

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Restless28, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Which of these "battle" rifles do you like best?

M1A or PTR91 or FAL.

What do you like or dislike about these?

2. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    I have 2 FALs, the simplicity of their design and ability to be serviced by the owner is the key factor in my choosing it over the others plus the adjustable gas regulator. The field reliability is why it is known as "the right arm of the free world"

3. huntall50

huntall50

May 7, 2009
    I researched them all, and admired the all for different reasons. But I chose the FAL and never looked back. Why? Magazine price and availability, parts availability and ease or repairs and ergonomics.

4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
  5. Years ago, I wanted at least one of each, and including one in the AR-10 flavor. Then I realized the beauty of standardizing. After owning two pre-ban FALs and the M1A (and shooting friends ARs and HK91s), I decided on the M1A for it's accuracy, beauty and nostagia.

6. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have (in the past) owned all 3, except mine was an original HK91, an original Belgium made FAL, and a Springfield M1A.

The FAL wins hands down. No contest.
    The FAL is the Cadillac of all assault/battle rifles.

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    FAL equipped 90 countries. Still does in a few.

H&K equipped about 60 countries. Still does here and there.

The M14 equipped....two? (Taiwan adopted it I believe) for less than 10 years.

M14 has excellent sights and trigger going for it. That's about it.

H&K is reliable. Ergonomics designed by a Mauser engineer on an LSD trip with Parkinson's using a mallet and a broomstick. Heavy.

FAL has excellent user friendly ergonomics. Not quite as good sights/trigger as the M14, but serviceable for it's intended role. Easy to fieldstrip and maintain in any enviroment.

All of them are big and heavy. I'd choose the FAL, then M14, then G-3 for most roles.

8. Well, this discussion is back to where we started after the AWB of 1994, as in

What do you want to pay for the rifle?

What are you willing to pay for magazines?

I looked on gunbroker.com last night for both the HK 91 and DS Arms SA 58 and StG 58.

One HK 91 was up to $12,000 :wow:

There were no DS Arms SA 58 or StG58

Mags are $30 + each on either

It's not which gun is better, but what you can find and how much you're willing to spend.

I have a DS Arms StG 58. I bought where mags where $5.00 each new. The last PTR-91 that I saw was $999.00.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  9. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland

Well said, Steve!

:cheers:

Make mine an M1A!

10. Only one country decisively took the M14 predecessor to it's enemy to change world history.

11. I like your rifle. Tell me about it.:wavey:

12. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

May 28, 2004
    The M14 was never marketed to other countries like the FAL and G3 were.

13. It's funny that H&R built several FAL's that you called TA-58 for Army testing. The TA-58 was not adopted, not many were made.

What if H&R had malufactured this rifle for the civilian market?

14. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Y'all can have heavy. I'll keep this:

[​IMG]

15. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    nice, but the moving charging handle...not so much

16. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    An important point for folks to consider. It was an "in house" project based on an earlier design "in house". the only Countries tht adopted its predecessor (the M-1) were countries we gave them to or Italy because Beretta was able to make them. It was not designed with the purpose of creating a market in the world. FN spent huge amounts of money selling their gun to anyone who would buy it. HK followed suit. Comparing commercial sales is very misleading since the M-14 was never marketed. The forging of the receiver made it less than viable for other Countries to copy. Take look at the AK. Which model is the one most copied, the forged/ milled or the stamped?

17. garya1961

garya1961

Mar 17, 2012
    NC
    This says it all for me.