close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battle Rifle? Do You Really Need One?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Restless28, Jan 1, 2011.

1. dosei

dosei

Faster at the muzzle does not, in and of itself, result in a flatter trajectory, bullet weight and ballistic coefficient must be taken into account. The 223 is flatter at closer distances. But past 400 yards the 308 is faster, and past 700 yards the 308 is flatter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

I'll owe up and admit that my remark was off the cuff...I didn't look at any comparable trajectory tables. The ballistics tables shown would suggest the .223 is flatter at shorter ranges.

My remark was based on apparently incorrect off-hand observations.

mea culpa

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

You skewed those numbers a little by using the light 55 grain TAP bullet against a 168 grain match bullet.

If you use the 75 grain match bullets you get a slightly different chart. With those bullets, the 5.56 shoots flatter all the way out to 1,000 yds.
    [​IMG]

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Here's another one, using a 223 match load, showing similar performance, Notice that 7.62x51 only catches up at the 800 yd mark, and surpasses it at the 1,000 yd mark.

[​IMG]

However, when looking at these, you also have to take other things into account to get a grasp on performance. The 7.62, is moving just over twice the bullet, so it will resist wind drift better, and deliver more energy at that range.

5. chauncey

chauncey

to me the difference that is even more important in the difference in energy at any range (55 vs 168).

also, please note that over 500 yards, anecdotal evidence i have heard is that 150 gr and 175 gr bullets shoot flatter than 168 gr

i qualified expert in the USMC and can pretty easily hit a 12x24 target at 500 yards with iron sights, using an M1A. my two shooting buddies have zero military experience, and we all shoot about equally well. their practice has more than caught up with my training. on many occasions, they have the ability to outshoot me. often it is a function of how familiar we are with the weapon we are using, and how old or young the eyes feel that day, or how much caffeine we started the day with...

military training and shooting skills are perishable. anyone who believes that a military-trained shooter will always outshoot a civilian shooter may be in for a surprise. it's all a function of training and perfect practice.

should the need arise, i expect to be able to reliably kill medium to large game (whitetails) and at 500 yards if necessary. if that's as close as i can get to the game, and i need to eat, then it is necessary. and i feel prepared to do it with iron sights and a 308.

6. glockpacker

glockpacker 600 yd shooter CLM

Tell you what, Doby-do...

I've been shooting 600 and 1,000 yard matches for five years, including state, regional, and national championships. And I've won at least one state and one regional match. For 1,000 yards, the .284 Winchester caliber has taken over the F-open class, and the .308 is used for F-Target Rifle class. I haven't personally seen anyone shooting a .223 at a 1,000 yard match.

The .223 AR-15 is often used at 300- and 600-yards for F-Target Rifle, and can rule if the wind is light. But if the winds stiffen up, then the .308 with 175-grain and heavier bullets rule. I shoot in the Tennessee/ North Carolina and south area. Perhaps you've been shooting in a different area than I do.

The AR-15's need at least a 20- inch Heavy Barrel to be competitive. On mine I have a 26-inch, 1 in 7 twist, match barrel from White Oak Armory, and in light wind, it's deadly at 600.

If we get in a shooting war, I'd prefer to shoot my .284 from the roof of my 12-story building at 1,000 or so yards. I'll let you youngsters run around with your AR's and do the dirty work on the ground.

AND YES, the word NEED has NOTHING to do with firearms and ammunition.

The word WANT RULES!!!

7. Upstate Glocker

Upstate Glocker

You failed to mention my Nobel Prize...

8. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

No when I drive my car it tends to run though.
    I dont shoot my firearms, that would be a very expensive target. I operate the trigger wich inter drops the hammer, then ingniting the primer that cause the powder to burn. The hot gas from the burning powder seperates the bullet from the case. The bullet then exits the barrel at high speeds and intern lands on the given target. This is also know as operating a firearm. Can be replaced with running a firearm. Can also be replaced with "shooting" a firearm. It's all in reading comprehension The english language is a funny one isnt it?

9. dosei

dosei

:rofl:
    I'm with you and prefer to not shoot my guns...I'd rather go shooting with my guns!

...yet there are indeed those that insist on "shooting their guns"...
    [​IMG]
    (must have been fnfalman)

10. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You don't "shoot" your gun in this case. You "shoot at" your gun in this case.

And yes, I was the culprit. Glocks are junkers that deserved to be destroyed.

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

No, you pull the trigger. Unless you stand facing the gun and then push the trigger.

13. dosei

dosei

Hey fnfalman...
    Is your refrigerator running?

Better go catch it!

14. combatmedic78

combatmedic78 SempreEnHostes

I have seen it and it was something called a 120mm HE round from a M1. Seriously, just get a Abrams tank and call it good. Oops, you all are talking about MBRs, not MBTs (Main Battle Tank). My bad!!!! Carry on. :wavey:

15. 1gewehr

1gewehr

What you 'need' is a rifle that you would feel comfortable using under a wide variety of unpleasant situations. Only you can define what that rifle is.

Military combat experience is something that is extremely valuable. But people tend to want to apply a tool that they have been successful with to situations where it may not be ideal. And in most situations, I would agree that having experience and confidence with a 'less-than-ideal' weapon counts for a lot. Someone who can reliably hit their targets under adverse conditions with a .22lr is a LOT more valuable than the person with a .400 UltraShreikinLoudenBoomer capable of 2500 meter headshots who flinches when a sparrow farts.

Get what you like and practice with it enough to decide whether you wan to change. Use it in the rain, snow, and windy conditions so that you feel confident that you can hit regardless of the weather. Learn it's proper operation and practice immediate-action drills blindfolded. Don't be afraid to let your rifle get dirty, and look upon it's worn finish as a reflection of your ability with it.

16. dosei

dosei

Really...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYwMrsaLxs
    Now you do...
    :cool:
    Granted, the 50 is by no means a MBR. It is more of a hand-held shoulder-fired artillery piece.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  17. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

You operate any mechanical device. Operate is a broad term. Can mean to push, pull, turn, crank ect

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The trigger is not a mechanical device. It's a lever. The whole gun is a mechanical device. So, yes, you can "operate" a gun but that just means you're doing something with the gun and not necessarily "shoot" it. You can yank back the bolt and that "operates" the gun. You "shoot" the gun and the bullet comes flying out of the muzzle.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

My refrigerator runs like a top.

But I don't "run" my refrigerator.

Do you "run" your refrigerator?

20. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Dude it's all in reading comprehension like I already said. The english lanuguage is a pretty screwy language when it comes to this kinda thing Lol this could potentially get real technical and borderline retarded. So I have to assume you are just bored? As in the mental state of mind, not the wooden or planke type. (Sure the spelling is different so that should be a given. If one were to verbally say it though, they would sound exactly the same so you would used comprehension skills) The end result of all this is there are no winners. I'm right, your right, and thats that.
    Well played on the trigger. So just for kicks. It is indeed a lever. A lever does do a function but needs something to "operate" the lever. A lever in itself is a simple mechanical device.
    You "operate" a loaded gun and the bullet comes flying out of the muzzle
    Again all the exact same meaning.
    Can you comprehend it? lol