close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Based on this description, do you think the ammo is corrosive?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by collim1, Dec 31, 2011.

1. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    "Super Clean Surplus Russian 7.62x54R ammunition. Manufactured in the late 1970's to early 1980's. Features a copper washed steel case and full metal jacketed 147grn light ball steel bullet. During the 1970's this ammunition featured a painted silver tip which was transitioned out during the Late 1970's & early 1980's."

This is the description, does not mention whether or not the ammo contains corrosive primers. For the price that it is listed I will likely buy it regardless, but for obvious reasons I would like to know ahead of time if it is corrosive.

2. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    If it was truly manufactured in the late seventies it probably does not have corrosive primers if it was made for the Russian military. The 7.62 x 39's I saw at that time were not corrosive primed. It really is not a big deal, just clean after shooting.

3. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    I would treat it as having corrosive primers.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    This. I've shot a lot of corrosive 7.62x39 and cleaned up with old school "GI Bore Cleaner" with no corrosion. You just clean like normal, with the right stuff. Just make sure you do it soon after shooting and get the cleaner on everything that might have been exposed.

Read this. If info comes from Ed Harris, you can rely on it.

http://yarchive.net/gun/break_free_clp.html

5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I use Breakfree CLP on my guns, but I had no idea that it would protect against corrosion from corrosive ammo.

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Niether did I:embarassed: I googled GI Bore Cleaner and I saw a hit from Ed Harris. I was glad that I did because there is a lot of good info in those reports.

7. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Keep in mind, the Breakfree on the market today is NOT the original formula.

8. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Yeah, the link is a bit dated. CLP was changed to eliminate an ingredient that the gov thinks was hazardous. I don't know if that matters regarding corrosive ammo.

9. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Just plain water is enough to to prevent corrosion right?

I found a 440rd spam can for $72 and a Mosin Nagant in decent shape for $79 bucks but gonna have to pre-order now. I took too long to make a decision and now they are out, but supposed to have more on the way.

Thats $.16/rd for what is supposed to be decent ammo with no corrosion on the cases. It just doesn't list whether or not the ammo is corrosive.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  10. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Hot, soapy water will remove the corrosive salts. You then need to clean with a good bore solvent to remove remaining powder fouling and copper fouling. Then a good oil needs to be applied.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  11. AGF0526

AGF0526

May 19, 2003
    LOUISVILLE KY
    It is corrosive. Russian military ammo used corrosive primers until the mid 90s.