Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Barrel rifling

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Concealed30, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Concealed30

May 13, 2009
    After cleaning my G30 after shooting this weekend I noticed in the barrel like a brownish color in the rifling of the barrel when i took a mini-mag to look deep in it. The weapon was born in 2006 I have estimated 2000 downrange rounds. I keep it oiled and clean all the time, a fanatic about it really. Just wondering if the solvent (I just used a brand new brush) im using is not getting everything out of the rifling. It does not look like rust, I have cleaned a rusty barrel b4. I use Hoppes #9 for the entire life of weapon. Should I soak it in something else overnight and try again. I have never in my life soaked a barrel. Or this this just wear related? Thanks in advance...G30
  2. JohnKSa

Sep 8, 2000
    DFW Area, TX
    Sounds like copper fouling/jacket fouling. Get one of the new foaming bore cleaners and follow the directions on the container.

3. Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Hoppes is good for removing lead, powder residue, etc., but it is not a copper solvent. Try some Sweet's 7.62 or Shooters Choice. There are other brands that are also effective. Look for a solvent that specifically addresses the removal of copper.